VOA Idemitsu Zepro Eco Medalist SAE 0W-20 Adv Moly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots of moly and boron but the high calcium and low magnesium formula suggests it’s not d1G2 nor SN+.

Good oil for older non DI engines.

Pim, reading the paper Gokhan posted the other day, I'm wondering if really high moly offsets some, but this obviously does not have much magnesium in it which would offset more of the LSPI tendencies. Oh well, doesn't really matter for me. I've got all port injected engines, and about 35 gallons of oil on the shelf, PUP, PPE, and Delo XLE. Won't be using anything else for at least 4-5 years
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
Pim, reading the paper Gokhan posted the other day, I'm wondering if really high moly offsets some, but this obviously does not have much magnesium in it which would offset more of the LSPI tendencies. Oh well, doesn't really matter for me. I've got all port injected engines, and about 35 gallons of oil on the shelf, PUP, PPE, and Delo XLE. Won't be using anything else for at least 4-5 years
smile.gif

I saw that. Good question. The Japanese oils have long been know to use large amounts of moly.

I’m guessing this is the older form of moly. I have always wondered what the equivalent formula is of tradition moly to moly dtc?

Edit PS: Also I noted that this is a thin 0w20.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PimTac
Lots of moly and boron but the high calcium and low magnesium formula suggests it’s not d1G2 nor SN+.

PQIA tested AC DELCO dexos2

http://pqiadata.org/OEM_PCMO_322018.html

Lots of calcium (2158) and low magnesium (9)
With some moly (81) and boron (287)

Must be a good oil for non DI engines yet still dexos2 certified? Maybe GM certification is not as good as BITOG certification?

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat

Must be a good oil for non DI engines yet still dexos2 certified? Maybe GM certification is not as good as BITOG certification?

The approved of GM dexos2 is, as it were, an analog of the classification of ACEA C3.
The approved of GM dexos1 Gene2 is, as it were, an analog of the classification of ACEA A5 and A1 of the latest editions.
Read, the approved of GM dexos2 and GM Dexos1 Gen2 refer to quite different engine oils - the first is designed primarily for diesel engines and high-loaded gasoline engines, and the second is for gasoline engines designed for HTCS <3.5, so.

This oil is produced in Indiana. To me, 3ppm of aluminum and 10ppm of silicon seem like a lot for a virgin oil sample. My UOA of this oil showed 4ppm of nickel in a Honda engine that doesn’t seem to use nickel and rather high aluminum levels as well.

Not saying these levels are harmful, but could this production facility have a contamination problem?

Originally Posted By: Danh
This oil is produced in Indiana. To me, 3ppm of aluminum and 10ppm of silicon seem like a lot for a virgin oil sample. My UOA of this oil showed 4ppm of nickel in a Honda engine that doesn’t seem to use nickel and rather high aluminum levels as well.

Not saying these levels are harmful, but could this production facility have a contamination problem?

Aluminum in this case is like a by-number from such quantity of molybdenum.
wink.gif

Silicon in this case is an antifoam additive.
smile.gif

It's time to know this.

Originally Posted By: Merovingian
Originally Posted By: UG_Passat

The approved of GM dexos2 is, as it were, an analog of the classification of ACEA C3.
The approved of GM dexos1 Gene2 is, as it were, an analog of the classification of ACEA A5 and A1 of the latest editions.
Read, the approved of GM dexos2 and GM Dexos1 Gen2 refer to quite different engine oils - the first is designed primarily for diesel engines and high-loaded gasoline engines, and the second is for gasoline engines designed for HTCS div>

So I misstyped on my phone, GM Dexos1 Gen 2.

If you clicked on the link...

you will eventually see:
ACDELCO0W20Back.jpg

.And there is no licensed diesel Dexos2 that is 0w20

And it goes back to my original point, high calcium, low magnesium for an oil distributed by GM, which BITOG thinks is bad for Dexos1 and LSPI, but GM's Dexos Licensing says otherwise.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back