Dad's 1987 Rabbit, now my son's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very Nice! I would get some Mothers Black Trim Cleaner and the Protectant. Two different products for all the lower trim and front end trim. Then get some Gummi Pflege on www.autogeek.net for all the rubber door, trunk seals.

Timing belts and fuel hoses should be R+R'ed ASAP. Garage queens suffer from sitting. The generational thing is very cool.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
I'm pretty sure the bolt pattern is 4x100mm so there tons of 14,15,16" almost free rims that would fit. But actually for a new driver, the skinny RT43's would be good tire to start with as it would give lots of signals its running out of grip when he starts exploring the limits.

Yup, keep the fat sticky rubber off of it until he has many, many miles under his belt ...

Nice car. I had a 1987 Jetta 5 speed, same motor as yours I believe. I bought brand new for about $12k. Drove it 148k miles with the original clutch. Top speed of mine was about 107 MPH. I remember using nothing but Castrol GTX 20W-50 in paper cans. Sold it to 2 brothers from Costa Rica, they paid me cash out of an eel skin brief case, nice guys. They were in the states buying buses for their parent's resort. They still make aftermarket front air dams for those cars, your son may want to look into that.

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
Originally Posted By: vavavroom
Originally Posted By: dishdude
Sweet car, I always liked these. Love the history behind it too.

It's still just a Volkswagen.
eek.gif

Uhm, not to burst your bubble but it's a Golf, not a Rabbit.
The Rabbit was in production from 75-84.
As of 85, it was the Golf until 2006ish when the 5 cyl Rabbit was re-introduced to the NA market.
It too was halted in 08.

"Burst my bubble"? Hardly. A Rabbit is just the product of US marketing, a Golf is a proper VW. ;-) Having such a knowledgeable VW historian as yourself at my disposal is great! I simply mixed up dad's Golf with the Rabbit GTI that I found in my garage recently, which is my son's next project car. See this thread. I also got the horsepower of the Golf wrong. My son tells me it has 90, not 95hp. Also, the Golf does have a Rabbit emblem on the tailgate. I probably stuck that on there some 27 years ago.

Originally Posted By: vwmaniaman
I have an 87 VW Cabriolet and those General Altimax are good. Like he says don't forget the timing belts and the other belts. Take off passenger front tire and fender liner and it is easy. Check the motor mounts while in there too. If you need parts, check with Hans Auto online parts for VW's Great prices and good selection.

I did order the Altimax from the tirerack. As I said, my son did replace many of the old rubber parts. I ordered over 1 grand, not counting the tires, of parts worth over the last few months, including brake hoses, CV boots, serpentine belt, vacuum tubing, door and hatch seals, valve cover gasket, wipers. I will take the car to my mechanic for inspection before handing my son the keys in a week.

new driver, old car, no safety gadgets, not even air bags. any chance on selling the car for decent money since so nice and getting something safer?

safety trumps the it was my dads factor if you ask me.

Originally Posted By: 93cruiser
new driver, old car, no safety gadgets, not even air bags. any chance on selling the car for decent money since so nice and getting something safer?

It's still many times safer than motorbike. I'd sit down and explain that the biggest safety factor is how you drive. Don't be dumb as this vehicle isn't going to 'win' any accidents, and he's reasponsible himself and his passengers.

I'm pretty sure the bolt pattern is 4x100mm so there tons of 14,15,16" almost free rims that would fit. But actually for a new driver, the skinny RT43's would be good tire to start with as it would give lots of signals its running out of grip when he starts exploring the limits.

Be careful as VWs use ball-seat lugs, not cone seat like most others.

Still, there should be plenty of VAG rims for cheap/free. I'd try for the retro look.

Could go up to 14" and run a 185/65/14 just for the choices & avaiability there. Agree on keeping the tires small and tall.

It's still many times safer than motorbike. I'd sit down and explain that the biggest safety factor is how you drive. Don't be dumb as this vehicle isn't going to 'win' any accidents, and he's reasponsible himself and his passengers.

It's not just how you drive, it's the other idiots on the road. During a drive, there are countless times you would not be able to avoid an accident, even the best driver. Let me know your plan on a two lane road, 45mph, no shoulders, and a car comes into your lane around a turn, giving you no time to react or any place to go. Or people running red lights, or hitting you from behind while you are at a red light. I could go on and on.

I would go newer if funds permit.

It's not just how you drive, it's the other idiots on the road. During a drive, there are countless times you would not be able to avoid an accident, even the best driver. Let me know your plan on a two lane road, 45mph, no shoulders, and a car comes into your lane around a turn, giving you no time to react or any place to go. Or people running red lights, or hitting you from behind while you are at a red light. I could go on and on.

I'll never understand people like you. Let the man and his son enjoy the car.

OP, 15" Corrado wheels fit and look great and can be had for 50R15 (or 195/45R15 with lowering springs) which looks great. There are more performance options available as well.

I offered him a new or fairly new used car. I cannot really argue the case for a safer car since the boy's mother died driving ann exceedingly safe E-Class just 4 years ago. We can't all drive the biggest truck. Accident avoidance is key. The Golf is pretty nimble and has good brakes. My son has been driving vehicles on our ranch property since age 11. He has half a year of road-driving experience with me as his co-pilot. He's doing well. The nut behind the wheel is the most dangerous element. The boy wants a car he can work on. An older, simpler car like the Golf allows him to do that. I myself survived my teenage years driving cars that are not up to today's safety standards. But you know, today's safe cars are the unsafe cars of tomorrow. Or maybe I'm just simply a bad dad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back