API SN Plus = No more conventional oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mobil: https://mobiloil.com/en/article/why-the-...3&WT.srch=1

Pennzoil: http://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/education/know-your-oil/what-you-need-to-know-about-api-sn-plus.html

Quaker State: http://www.quakerstate.com/en_us/car-care/what-you-need-to-know-about-api-sn-plus.html

I was not able to find a listing of Castrol and Valvoline products that are API SN Plus compatible.

From the Mobil and Shell links, it appears that compatibility will be limited to their synthetic blend or full synthetic products. So, does this mean that API SN Plus makes conventional oil obsolete?

SN Plus is still new. Give them some time
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Valvoline is already SN+.

Only the durablend and the full synthetic oils.

Maxlife and conventional do not meet SN Plus.

not really!! "synthetic" blends which are the biggest ripoff use MOSTLY conventional oil in the blend as there are NO laws governing the amount of "synthetic" usually cheaper group III but can include Ester + or PAO in the blend. of course they will use the CHEAPEST combination that meets the spec. from reading it seems only the additive portions are being revised!!

Pennzoil the company says the Platinum, and Gold, you can buy now is already SN+. The label needs to catch up being the only difference. It's on their website link you provided under "when will it."

one more thing, "conventional" oil basically doesn't exist even with SN "minus" (SN "dino" has at least some group III in it, and the cheap Smitty's at Kmart is 10% group IV PAO)

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
one more thing, "conventional" oil basically doesn't exist even with SN "minus" (SN "dino" has at least some group III in it, and the cheap Smitty's at Kmart is 10% group IV PAO)

For the purposes of this discussion, let's define conventional as products that are marketed as "conventional."

Even Valvoline white bottle says on the container it is "conventional". Yet per the PDS it is clearly stated it is a synthetic blend. So even your qualification is not going to work out easily. Ohh and Havoline DS does the same thing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: PimTac
Valvoline is already SN+.

Only the durablend and the full synthetic oils.

Maxlife and conventional do not meet SN Plus.

Even VDP(vwb) meets SN Plus...

That's correct Dave. However, I have noticed that it is mostly in 5W20 & 5W30 conventional motor oils(as stated above) and not so much (if at all) in the 10W30 or 10W40 conventional...at least according to the oil companies PDS. Although I can't answer for the 15W40 or 20W50 oils

Last edited:
I've seen a bit of literature regarding Castrol ultra clean, and it clearly divides 5/20 and 5/30 as blends while 10/30, 10/40 and 20/50 are still regular GTX "conventional". I'm not sure it really matters much. I've admittedly not paid attention to any of the labelling for 5/20 and 5/30 "plus" products.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
That's correct Dave. However, I have noticed that it is mostly in 5W20 & 5W30 conventional motor oils(as stated above) and not so much (if at all) in the 10W30 or 10W40 conventional...at least according to the oil companies PDS. Although I can't answer for the 15W40 or 20W50 oils

Isn't the SN+ primarily due to DI engines having issues with Low-speed pre-ignition (LSPI) and carbon build up on valves?
10w-30 and 40 is not spec'ed for theses engines, and neither is 15w-40.
Same thing with Dexos (and it seems SN+ and Dexos1 Gen 2 are basically the same), no 10w-xx or higher oils are Dexos1 oil.

SN PLUS is fine for any vehicle but like d1G2, is primarily aimed at resolving LSPI found in turbocharged low displacement Direct Injection vehicles. It differs from d1G2 in that it isn't restriced to GM recommended 0W-20 and 5W-30, or 5W-20(some brands) and 0W-30. Many oil companies include 10W-30 etc., and some (like Valvoline) include their "entire gasoline PCMO line of products"...yes, even Conventional VWB. Others might be just as inclusive but you'd have to visit the specific websites.

Originally Posted By: talest
Does it have the Starburst?

Yes, and my understanding is most already meet it and will include SN Plus in the donut on rear of the bottles.

Originally Posted By: wemay
SN PLUS is fine for any vehicle but like d1G2, is primarily aimed at resolving LSPI found in turbocharged low displacement Direct Injection vehicles. It differs from d1G2 in that it isn't restriced to GM recommended 0W-20 and 5W-30, or 5W-20(some brands) and 0W-30. Many oil companies include 10W-30 etc., and some (like Valvoline) include their "entire gasoline PCMO line of products"...yes, even Conventional VWB. Others might be just as inclusive but you'd have to visit the specific websites.

Correct me if I am wrong wemay but my understanding is that SN+ covers d1G2 and also addresses the timing chain wear issue that was in focus. It should be fine for any vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back