Why is everyone so afraid of lighting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure "afraid" of lightning is the correct word for me. Better would be 'very respectful' of and 'vigilant' for lightning would be the best description. IMO anyone that isn't is yes, "ignorant".

More cattle die in Florida from lightning as opposed to alligators.

Was down there last week at Disney World for vacation. While I was trying to make it down to the pool's bar, the resort was hit by lightning. Made the fire alarms go off and an life guard had no idea what was going on...

I have actually received a shock from a lightning strike in my garage! Blue light came out of our dryer and got me in a chair (my wife was with me thank God) and I shot clear across the open space to nearly hit my car. I was fine, but very sore the next few days.

To say respectful of lightning is a bit of an understatement, but I still don't fear it...

When we used to walk from the cafatera back to work with our boss in a light rain someone would say: Give the boss an umbrella, the one with the metal top. He was the shortest fella there but knew we were joking-or were we? Ed

As soon as I saw the post I knew the opportunity would be MOMM.

I am not sure I personally know anyone who is afraid of lightening

Re: Why is everyone so afraid of 'lighting'?

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Maybe i'm ignorant and probably should keep it that way as one less thing to worry about, but it is my understanding the 'lighting' likes tall objects. So when you're surrounded by a bunch of tall objects, are you not basically the shortest thing standing?

Tell the truth Madman....
Is it here where you became aware that the word lightning has (2) N's in it?
I ask because you misspelled it in two different locations of your discussion here.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Where I work, there used to be an employee who was at the park with his wife and newborn on a fairly average day. The guy straight up was hit by lightning and died right away. It's not like they were hanging around outside during a thunderstorm with pouring rain.

We honor his family each year during the company meetup.

Talk about a tragic death. If there is proof of a vengeful God, then that'd be it.
If so we all should be dead but then again we all will die so you seem to be correct.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Blue light came out of our dryer and got me in a chair (my wife was with me thank God) and I shot clear across the open space to nearly hit my car. I was fine, but very sore the next few days.

Hey, I saw the same blue light and had the same physical reaction when I was 6 and stuck the leads of a small 12V electric motor in the wall outlet....

I do not think it has anything to do with fear. Good old common sense says you stay inside during a thunderstorm if you can. I am West of Houston and if you are outside in some of the nasty storms we get, you are a little on the crazy side. I have no interest in getting lit up and fried to a crisp.

I like as much lighting as possible, especially when proofreading
whistle.gif

I was struck by lightning about 30 years ago. 12 of us were struck at the same time from the same bolt. It smacked me on the top of the head.

If I wasn't scared of lightning then, I am now. It causes me to jump and flinch every time I see a bolt nearby.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Usually because it can kill you....

^ this.
many could see this as a ..... dumb question, hence the joking around posts.but, it's another entertaining m.o.m. thread. keep 'em coming, and have a good day.

Action happens about halfway through:

I grew up on the plains, in a little town where the high school occupied a city block. One corner was open lawn with one big cottonwood tree. After a thunderstorm, that tree was scattered all over the lawn.

I also worked in the high country for a few summers, and lightning was a big part of our safety training. One point that really stood out is that you shouldn't take shelter under any kind of rock overhang. Lightning can jump that gap like a spark plug, and if you're in the gap...

Met a TV engineer who took 25kV working inside a transmitter "hot". Knocked his vision black, then white, then it came back! He was alone (bad!) and called EMTs who were excited that his ECG had a little extra "blip" like they had been trained to look for but never seen.

Spent a few days in hospital and made a full recovery. Seems like something I don't want though.

14 years ago my brother-in-law got hit by lightning when he was in the Washington DC Mall. Thankfully someone from the Secret Service was driving by, stopped and rendered first aid. His story made the news up and down the Eastern seaboard.

Lightning can and does strike people. Be respectful of it and don't tempt fate.

A friend was driving in his Transit Connect when it got hit by lightning. Apparently it made a loud noise and felt weird but it didn't actually hurt the truck or him.

Now as for "lighting" which you asked about, that's pretty helpful, whether it be bulbs or windows, so no, I'm not scared of that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back