When will Toyota do to the Tundra, what the big 3 did

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toyota seems to run on a different plan than the big three. My 2015 Ford F150 gets the same if not a bit better MPGs as the 1996 Tacoma 2 wd, 4 cyl automatic trans is used to own.

Tundra fans probably hope not for as long as possible. Are these smaller displacement but more highly stressed turbo engines built that much better that they really have the same life expectancy as the 5.3, 5.7, 5.0 N/A V8s? It's true that most trucks aren't worked like a truck but even in day to day unloaded driving they have to be working harder to some degree.

I don't expect them to follow the big three. I expect them to bring in the hybrid synergy drive with a smaller direct injected v-8 though.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Tundra fans probably hope not for as long as possible. Are these smaller displacement but more highly stressed turbo engines built that much better that they really have the same life expectancy as the 5.3, 5.7, 5.0 N/A V8s? It's true that most trucks aren't worked like a truck but even in day to day unloaded driving they have to be working harder to some degree.

Toyota supremacist zombie. Whatever the American manufacturers do, it is not as good as what Toyota does. Even if they are outdated by 10 years, their trucks work harder than American trucks because they are Toyotas. Stuck in the 20th century.

Toyota gets by on name when it comes to trucks. Then can afford to let their engine lineup stagnate because people will buy them because remember how tough their trucks were during the 80s and 90s?

I'm guessing they are doing something, but I wonder if they have scaled back on their plans to break into the full size market. Sales have never been up there. And it seems unlikely that they will ever be. So I wonder if they are skipping on the R&D under the premise that there isn't a payback for them to develop it.

I think Toyota looks at the Big 3's TDI engines w/a bit of dubiousness and condescension. I don't think Toyota wants to damage its truck reliability w/sketchy engines...(my take of what they're thinking)

Originally Posted By: JeffKeryk
Chances are, they will do something better, like a hybrid system, but it will be pricey.

Priusamino?
laugh.gif

I'm still waiting for hyundai/kia to come out with a little run-around pickup truck, perhaps on a unibody. Great for auto parts stores to run stuff around in.

FL2Uo6E.jpg

It's coming soon by Toyota standards.

I say that because I have shopped New tundra's and asked specifically when a redesign is expected and Toyota is using a research company to gather data on what Toyota owners would like to see in a new truck. I have been asked to participate in return for some amazon cash.

If you think toyota trucks were tough in the 80's and 90's then you should check out the current gen. Toughest and most reliable around. Still the best bang for your buck when all things are considered.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
I just bought my first Toyota last year. In a couple years, I like to get a full size truck, but I have noticed how the Tundra just seems on behind. I almost consider a GM or Ford, because of that. But as those smaller displacement engines, for one, you have run on premium gas to get the rated hp and torque, and you have to drive like a grandpa just to get the good mpg's. Otherwise, they hardly do better than a V8. The word on the street is from guys that buy pickups to constantly pull and haul heavy is that the V8's just make better mpg's and the turbos give out early for then. But they do perform good. I think GM has it going good for them in shutting off cylinders.

Originally Posted By: Speak2Mountain
to RAM,Sierra/Silverado, and f-150 concerning smaller engines and better MPG?

Ummm... that involves (ugghh) engineering work, spending money that could otherwise go to their coffers, new powertrain development and (ughhhhh) testing. Development and testing dips into profitability. Do you know how Toyota Motor Sales feels about coming up with new stuff and having to test it? Their track record is pretty clear on how they feel about that. Seems like the current Tundra is profitable enough, no matter what the customer ends up with. And, really IMO, the customers of Tundras totally deserve 1997 fuel economy and the outdated technology.

There's no incentive to do what you propose: expensive new engineering tech for better MPG.

Toyota sells a ton of good MPG cars, so their CAFE is high.

The domestics sell a ton of pickups and have to use every trick to get those vehicles to achieve decent MPG so that they can meet CAFE.

I bought a Tundra specifically because it eschews the gimmickry that the domestics have piled into their trucks. I simply don't trust that all that tech will be reliable.

Give me a simple V-8, in a reliable truck. That's what I want, and, I think I'm not alone.

Toyota's cafe satisfaction comes from a large amount of purchased credits from other businesses. They're not doing it honestly, if that's what you're suggesting
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Originally Posted By: JeffKeryk
Chances are, they will do something better, like a hybrid system, but it will be pricey.

Priusamino?
laugh.gif

I'm still waiting for hyundai/kia to come out with a little run-around pickup truck, perhaps on a unibody. Great for auto parts stores to run stuff around in.

FL2Uo6E.jpg

It's a cool idea but it never seems to live up to the idea (Rampage, Brat, Caddy).

Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol
Toyota's cafe satisfaction comes from a large amount of purchased credits from other businesses. They're not doing it honestly, if that's what you're suggesting
lol.gif

I see your Toyota thread was locked up:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4748513/Taxpayers_pay_$220M_for_Toyota#Post4748513

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Give me a simple V-8, in a reliable truck. That's what I want, and, I think I'm not alone.

That was what I was after too when I bought mine. I was not going to use as a daily driver so max mpg wasn't high on my list.

But I do get what others gripe about. Low payload, "boring", chronic problems (water pump, front diff, cam tower oil leak. On Gen 2 and 2.5 they seem to have avoided the typical Toyota rust but still have had issues with bed bolts and rear bumper rust.

Originally Posted By: Muskieteer
If you think toyota trucks were tough in the 80's and 90's then you should check out the current gen. Toughest and most reliable around. Still the best bang for your buck when all things are considered.

As long as you never need to put gas in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back