Another change it or dump it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going away on a long trip bout 1,500 miles taking my new Lincoln MKZ 3.0 twin turbo bought used with 6,600 miles. Oil was changed when purchased now at 10,550 miles and OLM says 50% oil looks dark and smells a bit like fuel or at leased more so then other cars I have had with a few thousand miles on the oil so do I just trust the OLM and run it down to 10% or so or change it before I add another 1,500+ highway miles? By the way the car seems to not use any makeup oil or at leased not yet.

So, the current oil has about 4000 mi on it. I would leave it alone until I got back from the trip. It will then have about 5500-5700 mi on it, and I would then consider changing it at that time.

Yeah, because of the fuel smell, I'd dump it and do fresh
smile.gif

Nice rig though
smile.gif

I usually say leave it, but this early in life of the engine I would be inclined to dump early.

Originally Posted By: mx5miata
go enjoy your trip change it when you get home

Agreed. Highway miles are easy easy easy, even on old oil.

Depends.

I don't think the oil is in bad shape. If it smells like gas now, after a long highway drive it'll probably smell less. As in it'll be kept at a high(er) temperature and more likely to bake anything out. Highway miles should be easy miles (this has an oil to coolant heat exchanger, right?).

On the other hand: me, I like doing work on the 5's. When I an running 10k OCI's then I do it at 10k miles, 20k, 30k, etc. Makes it easy to read off the odometer. If I'm doing 5k OCI's, well you get the idea. If it was me I'd be tempted to change now and then go to my OCD routine of changing on the 5's or 10's.

YMMV. I think you could flip a coin on this one.

Originally Posted By: deven
Doesn't "change it or dump it" mean one and the same thing?

I was going to say the same thing. Guess he has his mind made up, he is changing and dumping. Certainly not keeping it by the subject title. Why post?

I would change out the first half, and dump the second half.

Next thread will be keep it, or continue using it? Tough debate, as is this one.

Yes totally I had a slip of the keyboard or a brain F--t it should real "Keep it or dump it"

Originally Posted By: Camprunner

Yes totally I had a slip of the keyboard or a brain F--t it should real "Keep it or dump it"

It was more a Freudian slip. Meaning your heart really wants to change it before you go on your trip!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back