Dad's 1987 Rabbit, now my son's

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 1987 Rabbit in the pictures is my dad's old car. I learned driving stick in it in 1991. It has the 1.8 liter I4 that makes 90 horses. It's the 5-speed. My dad mothballed the car around 1995 and it remained untouched in storage until about half a year ago, when my 15-year-old son found out about the car when he was exploring his grandparents' garage during a visit. My grandfather decided his grandson could have the car once he turned 16. My son has been working on the Rabbit every week a few times a week for months. I've been ordering the required parts and supplies for him, and he did all the work. He changed all fluids, did the brakes, replaced aged rubber parts, fixed a broken door handle and other minor problems. He also installed a very nice sounding exhaust. The car has zero rust other than the original exhaust. I had the car smogged last week and it passed without problems. Driving the Rabbit to the smog test station was a blast from the past because I haven't driven this car since I was just a couple years older than my son is now.

The front bumper still needs a new clip. The only other thing left to do is buying new tires. There aren't many choices (175/70-13). I'm considering the General Altimex RT43. Does anybody have experience with those or any other suggestions?

Originally Posted By: PimTac
That’s in great shape from looking at the pics. How many miles on it?

It's got just under 28,000 miles on the odometer. Dad used the car only as second car for a few years. Then it was my first car for a while.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Sweet car, I always liked these. Love the history behind it too.

It's still just a Volkswagen.
eek.gif

Great looking car, awesome story about your son working on it so meticulously. I’ve always been a fan of the VW golf/rabbit. I had the Altimax tires on my previous Nissan, they were very good overall.

I'm pretty sure the bolt pattern is 4x100mm so there tons of 14,15,16" almost free rims that would fit. But actually for a new driver, the skinny RT43's would be good tire to start with as it would give lots of signals its running out of grip when he starts exploring the limits.

Amazing car with 28K and also appreciate the family history. Considering a 16 year old driver and you're in Cali, land of eternal heavy traffic, have you thought about the safety rating of these?

The RT43 is very popular on here, and it should be a good price with the DTD memorial day sale
smile.gif

There is also the Hankook Optimo H724, which comes out to just over $100 for the set of 4 tires.

If you don't like rebates, Walmart has their Douglas tire for $37 each. They are made by Goodyear, and I think they may even be US-made, too.

Be prepared to replace lots of soft parts when use starts again... rubber lines and other engine-related parts generally do not like sitting for long periods of time and become quite porous when flexed again... but nice looking car for your son to start in!

I think Saturn ran 4 X 100 high positive offset rims,

If so, a set of 14” rims from an SL or SL1 and a set of 185/65R14 General RT 43’s in “H” speed rating...

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=General&tireModel=AltiMAX+RT43+%28H-+or+V-Speed+Rated%29&partnum=865HR4AMRT43&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Saturn&autoYear=2002&autoModel=SL&autoModClar=

Originally Posted By: vavavroom
Originally Posted By: dishdude
Sweet car, I always liked these. Love the history behind it too.

It's still just a Volkswagen.
eek.gif

Uhm, not to burst your bubble but it's a Golf, not a Rabbit.
The Rabbit was in production from 75-84.
As of 85, it was the Golf until 2006ish when the 5 cyl Rabbit was re-introduced to the NA market.
It too was halted in 08.

Wow, that's a very clean car! I wish things around here would age that well. And props to your son for wanting to work and drive an old car like that. Pretty sure he'll appreciate it, especially after getting it going with all his hard work!

I have an 87 VW Cabriolet and those General Altimax are good. Like he says don't forget the timing belts and the other belts. Take off passenger front tire and fender liner and it is easy. Check the motor mounts while in there too. If you need parts, check with Hans Auto online parts for VW's Great prices and good selection.

Sweet car, glad your son is taking such interest in it. Maybe he will become a VW fan for life.

Amazing little car! Id be all over this one if I found it for sale! Like people have said, definitely time for timing belt, hoses belts etc, especially with only 28k. Id also look to upgrade a bit to OE VW alloys in 14" or 15", many more tire choices and I'm sure a set of OEM wheels wouldn't be more than 150$ at most. Keep her alive!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back