Good to Have Friends in High Places

Status
Not open for further replies.
I work in a big commercial building in NYC. I'm good friends with the chef that feeds the execs. Today, Friday before Memorial Day Weekend, the building was quiet. I went to the cafeteria floor to get lunch and it was closed for the day. I walked over to the exec kitchen to say hello and have a nice three day weekend and all that when he offered to make me lunch. Who am I to say no?
I ended up with a steak sandwich with toasted french bread, melted Provolone, some diced jalepeno pepper and some dijon mustard. It was honestly one of the best sandwiches I've ever had. Salad was awesome too.
Hats off to the chef.

I was completely impressed with the japepeno and the mustard. I would have never thought of that.

Last edited:
With all the bad we see every day sometimes something good happens.
smile.gif

I am on a crew which services a large, truly "multi-use" facility.
It is a theatre, meeting room, class room, television studio, executive suite, media address room etc.

Occasionally, fine caterers are brought in for big events. Great food for well-to-do people is the menu.
I greet one master chef with, "Two scrambled on a roll with butter, please".
"You want ketchup on that?", is his friendly answer. 'Tis corny and it works. You can't beat a happy workplace.

One time the gig needed all manner of extra power, shelving (which we threw together FAST), cleared access to distant refrigerators and frequent removal of bulky trash.

That chef made us a dinner fit for a king.
NOTE: Sauces are better when they're freshly made and served hot.

Originally Posted By: NYEngineer
I work in a big commercial building in NYC. I'm good friends with the chef that feeds the execs. Today, Friday before Memorial Day Weekend, the building was quiet. I went to the cafeteria floor to get lunch and it was closed for the day. I walked over to the exec kitchen to say hello and have a nice three day weekend and all that when he offered to make me lunch. Who am I to say no?
I ended up with a steak sandwich with toasted french bread, melted Provolone, some diced jalepeno pepper and some dijon mustard. It was honestly one of the best sandwiches I've ever had. Salad was awesome too.
Hats off to the chef.

I was completely impressed with the japepeno and the mustard. I would have never thought of that.
Every living thing needs to hit the jackpot now and then. That's what I think about when I put out nuts for the squirrels and birds. I didn't see my name in the obits this morning so that is my jackpot. Everyone have a safe and sane holiday. Neighbors next door took off for Minnesota early this AM pulling a big camp trailer. Sure glad it's them and not me out in the 95F heat today. Will be close to a 100F by mid afternoon. Come on upper jet stream, move your wondering self south.

Kira, you are absolutely right about the sauces. This guy makes fresh salad dressing every day and he makes me a salad with said dressing most days. He doesn't want me eating the cafeteria salad. He;s seen them prepare it and says they don't do it correctly. Anyway, Now I'm ruined. I won't eat salad dressing out of a bottle. Just oil and vinegar. In about a year, this gig ends for both of us. It was nice while it lasted.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
A GREAT steak sandwhich is rare indeed but reminds us of just how GREAT such a simple meal can be.

I'm reading "Skin in the Game" by Taleb at the moment.

It's the second place that I've heard of the "Lindy Effect", although I'm positive that my first hear was a result of someone reading Talib...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lindy_effect

So the menu at a 3 Michelin star venue is constantly turning over (short lived one off "pieces of art" on a plate) while a "traditional" steak sammich recipe lasts forever...might be tweaked with a few hundred thousand variations every day, but the formula is there.

Same for the Salad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back