2014 Cruze Diesel Valvoline MST 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.

3,000 miles and 6 months. I settled on a B5 biodiesel blend. Drives are short here in Hawaii, generally 5 miles each way.

Hi JK. I see high levels of iron at over 10 ppm per thousand miles but is probably the engine breaking in. Your last sample is over 7 so may be trending down.This is great data. We don’t often see this much data on a light diesel engine. I’m used to seeing 3 ppm/ thousand miles as a high numer for gasoline engines but the two arn't really comparable. The high vis guys are probably going to check in now.
smile.gif
Good luck!

jkhawaii, Watch out for volcanoes. My advice to you. (You're welcome.)

Your short trips are probably what is elevating the iron levels a bit. When the engine bearing surfaces are relatively cool, the ZDDP layer doesn't become effective yet. And the normal diesel soot in the oil doesn't help the softer cold tribofilms work effectively enough (compared to low soot & particles in gasolone engines). Result: Iron per mile goes up.

You are using a quality dexos2-rated oil, so no problem there. Any dexos2 oil should get you similar results.

Originally Posted By: Gubkin
SynPower MST C3 5W-30 or SynPower MST C4 5W-30
tired.gif

Pretty sure it was C3. bought a big bag of it if a while back. NAPA had them. Didn’t realize it was a bag in a box untill I picked it up.

Originally Posted By: jkhawaii
tired.gif

Pretty sure it was C3. bought a big bag of it if a while back. NAPA had them. Didn’t realize it was a bag in a box untill I picked it up.

That is a good oil. How big was the bag ?

Originally Posted By: SR5
tired.gif

I think it was 5 gallons. Enough oil for a few years. I used to work at a dealer so, I put the oil in empty quart bottles.

Iron seemed to be higher with B20 biodiesel. Was ruining B20 before this sample. Last sample also had some coolant enter the intake tract when I replaced the EGR valve.

Originally Posted By: SR5
tired.gif

I think it was 5 gallons. Enough oil for a few years. I used to work at a dealer so, I put the oil in empty quart bottles.

OK, about 20L, nice size. Not too much

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back