I'm thinking of doing a super T10 experiment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
Try a SAE 50 (Mack TO-A Plus) fluid. They tend to be thicker that the 90 grades by a couple cst. For example: http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/P...n_Fluid_50.aspx

Originally Posted By: Clevy
What about a motorcycle oil made for shared sumps. I think they can be found in gl-4 and 5 flavours.

I've been looking into both of these. Do they have as much EP additives as a gear oil? The other option I was thinking of was straight 140 gear oil. Looks like NAPA and Oreieley has it.

Well, It's leaking pretty bad from the rear and probably the front seal too.

I put about 12 oz of Lucas Engine Oil Stop Leak in yesterday (about 30%) to the GL5 85W-90. That has made some of the bearing sounds go away. Shifting is maybe a little better. We'll see if the leaks stop. It sure worked wonders on my rear main seal.

I decided to put in that bottle of Pennzoil synchromesh I had from when I started the thread in 2015. It was getting so bad that I had to come to a complete stop to get it back in first gear. A mixture of autozone 85w140 and gm grape fluid were in it. Probably 50/50. The leaking had finally stopped I think because of the esters in the gm gear oil. I'm concerned that the rear seal may begin slinging fluid again on the synchromesh fluid.

With the synchromesh it shifts like a modern car, unbelievable. I have to be careful because its easy to downshift over redline, so it almost works too good. Before I never had to worry about going down too many gears for the speed because it just wouldn't go.

Even more surprising is that the thinner fluid doesn't make any more noise that very thick mixtures I've tried over the years.

The question is, can I keep this Pennzoil in if I keep the transmission temperature at some limit, say 120-150 degrees f. It only sees an hour of highway time every 2 weeks. Driving around town it only gets Luke warm to the touch.

I also ordered some redline heavy shockproof to try. I guess I should try redline mt90 too. If it works just as good then there's no need to run synchromesh.

Just curious, and not making a suggestion, just asking; have you considered a t5 swap? I've noticed the few t5s I've driven shift nicer than any of the old t10s or Muncie's. I think some of the early t5s use a mechanical clutch as opposed to a hydraulic one found on most units, but dont hold me to that statement.

Originally Posted By: Red91
Just curious, and not making a suggestion, just asking; have you considered a t5 swap? I've noticed the few t5s I've driven shift nicer than any of the old t10s or Muncie's. I think some of the early t5s use a mechanical clutch as opposed to a hydraulic one found on most units, but dont hold me to that statement.

I considered it for my Corvette for many years. Also a 6 speed Richmond. They cost a fortune and it's a ton of work. I bought my trans am for much less than doing the swap to the Vette.

The trans am is a y84 bandit special edition and has some collector value so I'm keeping it completely stock.

I just put the heavy shockproof in this morning. It shifts almost as good as the Pennzoil Synchromesh. I believe this gives the best of both worlds. A relatively thin fluid that has the equivalent film strength of a 250wt.

I'm concerned about the amount of metal mud material on the magnetic drain plug. I had this latest fill in for just a hundred miles and it had a 1/16 inch coating. And there's sparklies suspended in the oil.

Something is wearing fast and I can only hope the "problem solving" oil will help slow this down.

If I read that right, are you saying the shockproof oil is similar a 50wt? I wonder how a transmission/engine oil like Delo sae 50 would work in that box?

Since it's slowly fading/failing, it just needs to be nursed along...

If Heavy Shock Proof will keep it running another year, yeah - just do it
laugh.gif

I'm gaining confidence in its reliability.

It runs good to foxboro and back, around 150 miles.

I'd like to drive it to Florida for the bandit run, but the wife isn't having it.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Maybe I'll take you up on that.

So I'd run a tube of that with synchromesh?

What's the difference between g70 and g70-250?

Package size...125ml or 250ml.
The 125ml does an average gearbox, up to 8L capacity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back