91 octane E0 in 87 octane vehicle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any issues with this?

I would like to do this since I am driving my Jeep less and E0 has a longer shelf life.

Originally Posted By: Olas
No issues whatsoever, potentially better mpg and better power IF you have a knock sensor and ECU that can adjust timing.

Yes , my thought , too . If gas mileage goes up , or performance , it may be worth the extra cost .

If not , go back to 87 octane .

In a Jeep 4.0, there will be no advantage from increased octane. It won't hurt anything, but there is no knock sensor, no increased performance...you could probably run it on 85 octane just fine.

I believe that he OP was looking at the better stability/shelf life of E0, more than the incidental octane rating of the E0 that is available to him.

I also used to believe in wasted money theory, until i filled up with E0 premium and logged my highway runs. Granted, every engine responds differently, and it takes time for the computer to adapt, but in my case with 2 different NA engines it works very well. In my case, the gas station is around the corner.
Now, it's time for the esteemed gentleman from the Corn Belt to come out with the hymn of cost per mile and all the usual refrains and chorus..

Mom drove a 1969 Ford Galaxy 500 w/ 302 ci V-8 & carb , back in the day . She claimed it got enough better MPG's on " Ethyl " to justify the added pennies per gallon . Plus she said it ran better .

Yes E0 fuel will stay fresh longer in a tank than E10, all else being equal. Different brands of fuel and different grades have so many additive variables that it's nearly impossible to answer the question with the given information. For a better answer, you probably should say how long your Jeep sits, how often, and in what kind of environment. Lots of experts and other experienced folks on these forums, will probably chime in after a better representation of your situation.

EDIT: Since E0 costs more, I say spend the money on fuel stabilizer instead of E0. That would be much more effective at addressing your fuel storage/freshness concerns.

Last edited:
This is exactly what I do.

Every vehicle I have is designed for 87 octane.

My daily driver, pickup and wife's van get 87 E10 since that's all we have available. However my 2 older vehicles are not "ethanol aware" and the only E0 available here is 91 octane for SOME brands. 91 E0 is what these two oldies get, just to avoid ethanol. I don't deplete their fuel tanks fast, so I'd rather use no ethanol in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back