Dual terminals vs side only

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to figure out if there is any benefit, besides the obvious, to having a battery with standard top posts and the 8mm GM like side terminals versus a battery with just the side terminals only.

I really did not think of these or it didnt occur to me when I had a stereo install and had just bought a new battery with sixe terminals only. They had to modify or use a special screw- when I could have just bought the dual terminal battery and had the entire topside for the stereo and had the stock hookups on the side.

I am really just wanting the healthiest electrical system I can- and THEN have it stout where the headlights shine brighter, it starts faster and comes to life stronger, and of course compliments my 4 gauge dual amplifier setup.

Also, stock it just calls for 600ca, but on the AAP website they advise the use of an AGM battery, I guess because it is a big small block (LQ4)

Dual terminal is only useful for the reason you stated. To hook up more accessories to the battery.

It won't make the battery any stronger or last longer.

Get a bigger battery if you need more cranking amps and install it inside the cab (or away from engine heat) if you want it to last a long time.

I would like it for easier jumping, but so far I haven't had any issues with the 8mm bolts.

Did any vehicle come factory with this style of battery?

If it will fit, I will always choose a dual terminal... over a side or top terminal only battery.

I'm using the 34/78 Dual terminal size in the Silverado and Sierra. Instead of the specified Group 65 battery in the Ford motorhome, I used a 34/78 DT.

It also makes it easier when using jumper cables.

Yeah, I like dual terminals. Makes attaching more stuff easier and better for jumping. Plus, the 34/78 dual terminal battery at the parts store I work at has more CCA and is the same price as the regular size 78.

Originally Posted By: maxdustington
I will curse GM side posts until the day I die.

I will praise side posts until the day I die.

Safer, cleaner, look better.

Originally Posted By: George7941
I have no issues at all with the side terminal battery in my Sierra. Nice and clean, no corrosion at all.

Indeed, this is one of the design parameters which has proven to be a great success.

Originally Posted By: user52165
Originally Posted By: George7941
I have no issues at all with the side terminal battery in my Sierra. Nice and clean, no corrosion at all.

Indeed, this is one of the design parameters which has proven to be a great success.

I agree. I have never had any corrosion on any side terminal battery I have ever owned.

GM side terminals are just a 3/8" bolt so you could theoretically get a stud, put your main terminal on, nut that, put your eye-ring tap on, and finish with a top nut.

I've used hardware store bolts before when the cheezy little GM one was all corroded. Gave a bigger jump start mounting spot, too. Only downside is you have to be careful to not overtorque-- it's tapped into lead! Upside though is you can run the stud/ bolt all the way down, grabbing every thread.

I used about an 1" long bolt with lock washer and nut up by the head which I then ran down to meet the cable. The lock washer kept constant tension on it, very nice.

S3010048.jpg

Originally Posted By: eljefino
GM side terminals are just a 3/8" bolt so you could theoretically get a stud, put your main terminal on, nut that, put your eye-ring tap on, and finish with a top nut.

I've used hardware store bolts before when the cheezy little GM one was all corroded. Gave a bigger jump start mounting spot, too. Only downside is you have to be careful to not overtorque-- it's tapped into lead! Upside though is you can run the stud/ bolt all the way down, grabbing every thread.

I used about an 1" long bolt with lock washer and nut up by the head which I then ran down to meet the cable. The lock washer kept constant tension on it, very nice.

S3010048.jpg

+1 Great post. This is what I do also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back