Non-contact Digital Laser Infrared Thermometer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick questions guys. When using a Non-contact Digital Laser Infrared Thermometer to check oil temps/trans temps do you compensate for the pan. If the trans temp is 180 at the outside of the pan what would the inside be or does it even matter. Like to get one. Thank you

You need to stick to a target (a blob of paint or some other means of marking would help) and read from that single point. Then your temps will be relative to that reading; for example if it's 40 F cooler at your target point than inside the pan, now you have your correction factor and the tool has value.

If you just try to read from the pan in general, your readings will change at almost every point you try. So you need to get a consistency via a target point.

And remember that an IR thermometer is more likely to be trend accurate than sample accurate.

A given sample might be 2% off but if it's about 2% off on most similar readings from exactly the same spot you can establish a useful trend line. That could be more important than the exact right temperature of any single reading.

I have those thermometers (at work) and also have ODBII readers. On the Fusion, I know I can get ATF temperature and I presume oil temperature readings. Could compare it to the reading from hitting the oil pan but for the ATF, it appears to be cast iron (and thicker) so an offset value may not help if your pan is stamped metal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back