Hyundai Kona

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not much of a CUV kinda guy, nor was I a fan of the Cherokee's new design, but I must admit that I kinda like this little thing in this Surf Blue color. It's pretty small, and it's storage space is behind competitors like the HR-V, but you can get it with Hyundai's 2.0L MPI with 6 speed auto which would work well for people who aren't yet sold on CVTs or (T)GDI. I'm not in the market for a new car, let alone a CUV, but if I was this would definitely get a test drive despite the polarizing looks. Maybe in 2 or 3 years once it gets some of the "new model" quirks sorted out.

I agree. For those terrified of Direct Injection and anything but traditional transmissions, but also in the market for a small CUV, this fits the bill. I really like the looks. The 1.6T-GDi with Dual Clutch is said to have a sporty edge. But this one will be the sales leader.

looks like a heavily adulterated CX-3 (not in a good way) with the 10th gen Civic's "ginormous black plastic patches" cranked up to 11.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Hideous styling AND an outdated engine design? Where do I sign?

Yuck.

YEA-kinda like a Crown Vic...........

Originally Posted By: CKN

Welcome back, have you been ok?
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver

smile.gif

Yes-thank you. I went on a trans-Atlantic cruise, left from Fort Lauderdale to Bermuda and then the Azores to South Hampton and through the Baltic States.

Was gone from home over a month.

Last edited:
I think this Kona is a nice CUV ( or is it SCUV?? ) but the cladding really does it in as far as I'm concerned. Maybe I could get used to it. I see U.S. News is now rating the Kona as their top CUV so I'm sure it has merits. They mention that it's in the league of the CX-3 in terms of athleticism. These designs are so incestuous they might as well make each others product.

While I would laud H/K for offering a regular automatic ( I don't hate CVTs ), I would probably want a 1.6T with a 6M which isn't available...migrating me to other makes that have remaining options along those lines before the door closes.

Looks kind of like the modern day Aztec.
Or, as Lutz put it, a "Angry household appliance."

smile.gif

Yes-thank you. I went on a trans-Atlantic cruise, left from Fort Lauderdale to Bermuda and then the Azores to South Hampton and through the Baltic States.

Those repositioning cruises are quite the deal.
We will absolutely do one once we retire.
What ship were you on?

Interesting that Hyundai is going back to the MPI engine on some applications.

CAFE doesn't matter anymore?

Anyways, my wife is a fan of her Scion XB, this looks like the hyundai version of such a car.

She would love it.

22 grand new in San Antonio currently, about 5-6 grand too much for us. I bet when the next model year comes around they will drop the price 5-6 grand.

I really don't care about car styling anymore. If it can fit us and our stuff, get reasonable gas mileage, and be safe on the road, thats fine for us.

Anything in this class is just a small bus anyways, or people mover.

I do like the LED headlamps, they look nice.

Wife just walked by she said she loves the car because it looks like a "spaceship".

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

smile.gif

Those repositioning cruises are quite the deal.
We will absolutely do one once we retire.
What ship were you on?

Holland America-Rotterdam. Yes-the re-positioning part of it actually ended in Copenhagen. Then the 2nd part of the cruise started there as well and went through the Baltic states-and ended up back in Copenhagen where we spent an additional three days before heading back to the states. Quite the trip.

Last edited:
My daughter had a 2005 Matrix until she rolled it on black ice a couple of years ago. She loves the look of this vehicle. It appears to be aimed at her 30 something age group.

Its nice looking but you get so much more usable space in a Golf sportwagen. I mean if you have to have a car thats 16" shorter for some reason then i guess it makes sense.

Originally Posted By: dareo
Its nice looking but you get so much more usable space in a Golf sportwagen. I mean if you have to have a car thats 16" shorter for some reason then i guess it makes sense.

I think if I wanted a car that was 16" shorter than a Golf SportWagen I would just get a Golf.

Originally Posted By: dareo
I suppose you could do that too but then you don't have a wagon.

These CUV's without any cargo space aren't wagons either... Makes no sense to me, but lots of people don't seem to need rear seating and cargo space at the same time, and I guess a Kona is as good as any of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back