GMC Acadia Wave Plate Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife and I are searching for a GMC Acadia, it's near the top of our list for a new vehicle, but there's a few others we're considering. A very brief bit of research online has revealed a serious flaw in the transmission in the model years we're looking at-- a wave plate which fails. The models in our price range happen to be 07-09 which is the only years that problem exists. There is mention of the timing chain stretching being common also. I've done a lot of digging online about the trans issue, and nearly *all* of the transmission failures seem to occur well before 100k, most covered under the 5yr/100k powertrain warranty offered when new; but then again powertrain warranty doesn't transfer to subsequent owners. The ones in our price range meeting our mileage requirements typically have 90-130k miles. Does anyone know with any near certainty if this issue can stay hidden until those miles? I don't want to buy a loaded grenade-- but if the vehicle has been repaired properly (the new design wave plate doesn't break) should I still hesitate? I suppose asking for a maintenance history would be #1 priority if considering this vehicle. I'm not as familiar with the timing chain stretch, if anyone knows about that malady with these vehicles > 100k miles, I'd love to hear about it. I can tell if a timing chain is stretched on a test drive for sure, but the transmission issue I think I'd need clear proof it was serviced right.

I'd take that Arcadia monies down to Toyota and PU a nice Highlander, new or certified can't miss.

Originally Posted By: dblshock
I'd take that Arcadia monies down to Toyota and PU a nice Highlander, new or certified can't miss.

I chuckled at this, as I already posted in another 'looking for new vehicle' post that we won't consider a Highlander. Way too bland both interior and exterior, typical of Toyota products of that era. It might last forever, but I've owned vehicles that I hated just BECAUSE they last forever and buying a Highlander would just add one more to that list.

Don't waste your hard earned cash on a used Acadia/Traverse/Enclave.

Timing chain issues
Suspension issues
Trans issues
Steering rack and pump issues
Air conditioning issues

Plus, they're heavy, under powered, don't drive very well, and are terribly cheap on the inside. I'm in agreement with you about the Highlander, they're boring. What about a Lexus RX? They're usually about the same price as a Highlander but with a lot nicer interior. Granted, they aren't as large.

How about an MDX?

Originally Posted By: 14Accent
Don't waste your hard earned cash on a used Acadia/Traverse/Enclave.

Timing chain issues
Suspension issues
Trans issues
Steering rack and pump issues
Air conditioning issues

Plus, they're heavy, under powered, don't drive very well, and are terribly cheap on the inside. I'm in agreement with you about the Highlander, they're boring. What about a Lexus RX? They're usually about the same price as a Highlander but with a lot nicer interior. Granted, they aren't as large.

How about an MDX?

sounds like a lot of pattern issues, but then GM just started making trucks when? 2004?
whay do I say this? my 84 Olds ciera came with a porosity in the block. but GM executives made millions that year

We loved our 2011 Acadia. Moved up to a 2016 Suburban due to needing more room with our daughter and her wheel chair and other things needed. The Acaida had 88k on it with no issues other than the MPG was only averaging 19mpg for us. We get that and then some on the Suburban now. LOL

Wave plate was on older models as well as timing chains from what I understand from being on the Acadia forum.

At the end of the day, it's your money and you should spend it on what will make you happy.

Now, for my .02. Of the vehicles you're looking at, I would HIGHLY recommend the MDX. I wouldn't buy an 07-09 Acadia.

Originally Posted By: Rat407
We loved our 2011 Acadia. Moved up to a 2016 Suburban due to needing more room with our daughter and her wheel chair and other things needed. The Acaida had 88k on it with no issues other than the MPG was only averaging 19mpg for us. We get that and then some on the Suburban now. LOL

Wave plate was on older models as well as timing chains from what I understand from being on the Acadia forum.

Actually, I'm surprised no one suggested that to the OP so far. A 3 row Tahoe with 4x4 and the 6-speed will do 22 MPG highway all day long, about the same as an Acadia.

There's your answer, OP! Buy a Tahoe.

Originally Posted By: 92saturnsl2
My wife and I are searching for a GMC Acadia, it's near the top of our list for a new vehicle, but there's a few others we're considering. A very brief bit of research online has revealed a serious flaw in the transmission in the model years we're looking at-- a wave plate which fails. The models in our price range happen to be 07-09 which is the only years that problem exists. There is mention of the timing chain stretching being common also. I've done a lot of digging online about the trans issue, and nearly *all* of the transmission failures seem to occur well before 100k, most covered under the 5yr/100k powertrain warranty offered when new; but then again powertrain warranty doesn't transfer to subsequent owners. The ones in our price range meeting our mileage requirements typically have 90-130k miles. Does anyone know with any near certainty if this issue can stay hidden until those miles? I don't want to buy a loaded grenade-- but if the vehicle has been repaired properly (the new design wave plate doesn't break) should I still hesitate? I suppose asking for a maintenance history would be #1 priority if considering this vehicle. I'm not as familiar with the timing chain stretch, if anyone knows about that malady with these vehicles > 100k miles, I'd love to hear about it. I can tell if a timing chain is stretched on a test drive for sure, but the transmission issue I think I'd need clear proof it was serviced right.

The 3-5/Reverse Clutch Wave Plate failure usually happens before 90,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: 14Accent
Originally Posted By: Rat407

Actually, I'm surprised no one suggested that to the OP so far. A 3 row Tahoe with 4x4 and the 6-speed will do 22 MPG highway all day long, about the same as an Acadia.

There's your answer, OP! Buy a Tahoe.

Originally Posted By: NYEngineer
I second Tahoe or Suburban. My 09 Suburban has 150,000 miles on it and has given me no trouble to speak of.

I believe the OP's budget is $7500. GM SUVs are really expensive here in Toronto, Toyota level even on the used market.

Because they are the best! Who drives a Burb? Tony Soprano! Ultimate dad car.

OP's price range might dictate an older one than they are comfortable with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back