Door Lock Actuators - OEM vs. Aftermarket?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to replace the passenger side door lock actuator on my Insight. I can get the Honday OEM part for about $52 shipped. I can also buy an aftermarket model on Rock Auto (standard replacement quality) for about $28 shipped. Anybody have experience with OEM vs. aftermarket door lock actuators? Any reason to pay extra for OEM in this type of product?

Thanks!

OEM. Dorman can be hit or miss, but Honda's door lock actuators use NMB(Mineba Electric) motors in them. It's hard to beat a component from one of the major Japanese electronics companies even if it was made in China/Malaysia/Indonesia/Taiwan/Vietnam.

If you're good with taking things apart and wiring electronics, you can also replace the micro motor in that actuator. Digi-Key stocks motors from Mineba or Panasonic that would work with a little soldering or hacking.

Most Airtex door lock actuators are reboxed OEM parts. The Airtex actuators for your Insight seem to be made in the US by Gecom, the US subsidiary of Mitsui.

My choice would be the Airtex actuator.

dorman lock actuators for our old chrysler minivan had several reviews as a 6 month part. I went the "replace the internal motor" route after some google-foo ID'd the part number and they both worked fine after.

And the same question for a Toyota RAV4, passenger side lock actuator, Toyota internet $78, Dealer over $100, or an aftermarket?

If you go with an OEM Toyota part, Conicelli Toyota's online operation is offering 10% off today only, and their prices seem to beat all other online OEM sources.

Originally Posted By: JLawrence08648
And the same question for a Toyota RAV4, passenger side lock actuator, Toyota internet $78, Dealer over $100, or an aftermarket?

what year is your Rav4?
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: ffxfina3
I need to replace the passenger side door lock actuator on my Insight. I can get the Honday OEM part for about $52 shipped. I can also buy an aftermarket model on Rock Auto (standard replacement quality) for about $28 shipped. Anybody have experience with OEM vs. aftermarket door lock actuators? Any reason to pay extra for OEM in this type of product?

Thanks!

Have you taken the old one out yet? If so, how painful was it? Would you be upset if you have to do the job again? Would this part leave you stranded on the road thousands mile away from your house?

All these factors come in to play when I make this decision.

If I am handing this part to my mechanic to install, I only hand OEM part but if I am doing the work it may be different story.

This general principle work for almost any kind of repair.

I've had good luck with the Dorman ones.Bought a supposed OEM one off EBAY and it turned out to be a phony Chinese cheapo,and lasted 2 weeks.

I appreciate everybody's responses. With the exception of the one Airtex recommendation, seems like the results are overwhelmingly in favor of OEM for these. Many good comments here. I think I'll stick to OEM on this part.

Thanks again!

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Originally Posted By: JLawrence08648

what year is your Rav4?
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back