What do you say on an interview when they ask this

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was in an interview today for a different job I applied for. I've always been truthful about anything and everything when it comes to interviews.

I was asked,how many times do you typically miss work due to illness,etc.

I simply answered maybe 2 times a year. Now I'm sitting here wondering,if that was simply a bad answer,so was wonderin how ya'll would answer this question.

Your answer is fine plus they could always find out from HR how many days have been missed. So it's good you told the truth. Plus if they're that anal about sick days you may not want to work for them.

I would indicate that I do not intend to miss any, but that I do value both my family and my health.

I'd also use that as an opportunity to ask them what their policies are regarding sick/personal leave and paid/unpaid vacation.

"Well I wouldn't say I'm missing work very much when I'm ill. Usually thinking about not being sick"

In all honesty, though, I almost never get sick, and that's my answer if they do ask something like that... which is rare. I could be wrong, but sick days are there for a reason.. so I wouldn't sweat your answer. My guess is that they've had people in the past that abuse that kind of thing.

Sounds like what they are really asking is if you have any pre-existing medical conditions, which I don't think they can legally ask.

I would answer: As many days as I am incapacitated by illness or injury, ranging from 0 to 14.

Stupid question from them! Would be very rude to ask that kind of question over here. How does somebody know how much sickness they will have in one year. But you did good! Dont worry

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Your answer is fine plus they could always find out from HR how many days have been missed. So it's good you told the truth. Plus if they're that anal about sick days you may not want to work for them.

So HR can give out data on you to an other company in US?

I say 0 or ZERO. Nuff said
smile.gif

To the OP, sounds like they are fishing to see if you are sick often.

To myself, I'd reply 2 days a year on average, but if you provide bonuses to those that take no sick days in a year I'm your man.

I take care of my health, so there should be any issues related to sick days.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver

They cant find out from HR if you interviewing at at a different employer. Internal job interview, yes, external interview, no.
Employers aren't suppose to give current and EX employees seeking a job elsewhere a report card to other companies.
They can verify yes, "Joe Smith" worked as a "Milk Man" from 10/10/2010 to currently employed here or to 01/01/2015?
They cant say "Joe Smith was a worthless guy that never showed up to work and was terminated.
The HUGE reason why it's easier to get a job while your already employed is because people lie and say they quit when in fact they were terminated
and the prospective employer typically cant obtain the truth.

Originally Posted By: Bjornviken
Stupid question from them! Would be very rude to ask that kind of question over here. How do somebody know how much sickness they will have in one year. But you did good! Dont worry

Exactly. They are begging you to lie to them.
Nobody I know, has a clue what tomorrow may bring.
My question would be if working there will ruin my health?

it is a legal question to ask how mamy days of work did you miss last year

it is illegal to asking how many days you were sick.

The OP didnt rephrase the question exactly or people are reading through the question.

the question should be used to guage commitment (legal)and not healthcare cost issues (illegal).
therefore if asked,the answer to give that gives you the best score on commitment, should be touting your commitment to the position and how excited you are to do it that you are not a flake and so on.

If this is an open interview, and not just a form checklist, it is your opportunity for you to tell some story where you went above and beyond and set aside your own life to meet a deadline or goal for the company, beyond what was asked such as staying late or working an extra shift or last minute volunteered for a task or something.

Last edited:
Gosh, I'm so glad I went into business for myself and no longer have to deal with job interviews. All those B.S. questions they ask basically force you to lie, or at least embellish. The whole thing is a game. If you answer honestly to there inane questions, you [censored] sure aren't getting a callback.

You think it's a stupid question because your normal but I was in the office for a interview of a potential employee and they asked that question and the girl said I am not going to lie I take off alot of sick days for me and my family.
So it's really something you should know before hand or put it out there because because it of people do abuse sick time and it's nice if you can present the question and know ahead of time what your getting or what you know you don't want to get.

Last edited:
How old was this bird that ask that question....my answer would be....I can't post it here...lol

Last edited:
For some reason, I always come down with a minor bug in mid to late Spring that forces me to use some sick leave.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back