Houses With Fire Hydrants In Front.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got one near my house, it's good for an insurance discount, so don't fail to let your home insurer know.

Around here they are painted yellow and the curb is painted yellow. Park with any part of your vehicle in a yellow curb area and you get a ticket. Parking Tickets here have a guilty declaration / early payment discount but my guess is the fire hydrant would be one of those with no discount available ($50 to $250).

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
I think I saw this episode on Days of Our Oil Lives.
smile.gif

I wouldn't admit to that.
lol.gif

George, ever look in the mirror?

Oh, and thanks for the early Friday entertainment!

Just keep reeling! Good Fishing!

P.S. Yeti, we got a live one....

Originally Posted By: OilFilters
I would yell at you too. No parking means no parking...not even for a second. It's a huge issue around here at stores, so many morons don't understand what the painted lines mean. And it's OK to park anywhere if you put your flashers on. I don't understand what is wrong with these people.

Not that it matters much to the fire department. They won't hesitate to bust out your windows and lay a hose through your car in 3 seconds. They will do this even if you are standing there with the key in your hand.

^This! People park in a fire lane outside the grocery store with their flashers on, and drive down the breakdown lane in gridlock traffic with their flashers on. It's as if they're saying, "I know what I'm doing is totally illegal (otherwise they wouldn't have the flashers on), but I'm gonna do it anyway. It's OK though, I have my flashers on and that gives me a free pass to do what I want!"

Originally Posted By: exranger06
People park in a fire lane outside the grocery store with their flashers on, and drive down the breakdown lane in gridlock traffic with their flashers on. It's as if they're saying, "I know what I'm doing is totally illegal (otherwise they wouldn't have the flashers on), but I'm gonna do it anyway. It's OK though, I have my flashers on and that gives me a free pass to do what I want!"

Or stop in a traffic lane with them on because they missed their turn.

Speaking of flashers, what's it mean when someone is driving down the highway at the limit with their flashers on? I understand if they are going way fast (emergency!) or slow (car problems). It doesn't happen that often, but it seems whenever I do see someone with their flashers on, they aren't going slow or fast.

Is there a minimum distance for parking by these?

I'd hate to buy a home with a hydrant just to lose the parking space.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Is there a minimum distance for parking by these?

I'd hate to buy a home with a hydrant just to lose the parking space.

Depends on local laws. A lot of states say you can't park within 15 ft of a hydrant. In CT it's apparently 10 ft, according to my Googling. I'm 99% sure it used to be 5 ft when I got my license 14 years ago.

I say both sides chill out. If the OP is truthful, he was always within sight of the car and could have heard the fire sirens well before the truck arrived. Don't compare him to people that leave the car for an extended period or park in a grocery store fire lane. The benefit of an occasional brief convenience versus the risk of a one in three hundred trillion event, that worse case, might result in a 10 second delay is worth it.

I confess that I once parked in a restaurant parking lot at 2 pm in the afternoon that said "customer's only", because I couldn't find a parking spot elsewhere. When I came back to the nearly empty lot, the owner came chasing after me saying "tow truck on way!". Was it rude on my part? Perhaps she had lost business at other times and was taking frustration out on me, but I don't think that I harmed her business. Probably better to look like she actually had customers at that time of day.

Originally Posted By: Burt
I confess that I once parked in a restaurant parking lot at 2 pm in the afternoon that said "customer's only", because I couldn't find a parking spot elsewhere. When I came back to the nearly empty lot, the owner came chasing after me saying "tow truck on way!". Was it rude on my part? Perhaps she had lost business at other times and was taking frustration out on me, but I don't think that I harmed her business. Probably better to look like she actually had customers at that time of day.

Notice how you have to confess? It was still wrong. It was her private property. You weren't respecting her property rights. Technically I suppose you were supposed to pay for a garage or walk the 20 blocks or however far you would have ended up before you found a parking spot. I think one of the worst times I ever spent looking for a parking spot was about an hour circling, then I gave up and went home. Normally I drive around for 5-10 minutes before finding a spot. Oh and I park in a parking lot. Someone was going to illegally park in the lot and asked me if it was ok and I told her the tow trucks come all the time. Then she asked me if I was going to call them, I said no, but then a tow truck pulled into the lot and I told her, see what I mean.

Keeping on topic, there was a guy that parked in front of a hydrant at night. It got some traction in the local paper and he apologized and claimed he didn't see the hydrant after driving around at night looking for a spot near home. No one really called him on that, but when you have street parking in the city, after a while you know where all the hydrants are and I think he just didn't care because it was so late and then it blew up on him.

I park in the to go spots sometimes when going out to dinner. Technically I am taking my food to go... in my stomach.

Originally Posted By: nickaluch
Blocking a hydrant in NYC $250.Not worth the chance.

Precisely. Once I parked in a no standing zone on Queens Blvd to run in and get a pack of smokes. 45 seconds tops in there. I had a $50 or a $75 dollar ticket (this was many years ago) on the windshield, with the meter maid long gone when I came out. It don't take long.

By me, they will tow you. It is a symbiotic relationship. The owner keeps all parking spaces available for his or her customers. And the tow trucks get a quick money maker. It probably costs $200 or more to retrieve the vehicle. Plus they sometimes insist you show proof or registration with the state and proof of valid insurance, just in case you were negligent on those items.

It ain't worth it, drive around, find a spot and walk the few extra blocks.

Originally Posted By: supton
Speaking of flashers, what's it mean when someone is driving down the highway at the limit with their flashers on? I understand if they are going way fast (emergency!) or slow (car problems). It doesn't happen that often, but it seems whenever I do see someone with their flashers on, they aren't going slow or fast.

It means they are a moron that can't find the flasher button or don't realize they are on.

Originally Posted By: supton

I click mine on frequently during the evening "rush." It's not unusual that I'll be up near the speed limit(with the rest of the traffic) and then round a curve and see traffic stopped a half mile or so ahead. If I can do so safely, I pre-emptively put them on to say "hey, I'm about to mash my brakes to the floor so I don't plow into someone." I've still had some close calls...but often times when I put them on and then start braking hard I'll see the car behind me do the same.

Of course, there are also the times when I have someone tailgating and they nearly plow into me because I start slowing down for the stopped traffic rather than jamming on my brakes when I'm length or two from the stopped cars....but then you run into that everywhere.

Originally Posted By: SeaJay

By me, they will tow you. It is a symbiotic relationship. The owner keeps all parking spaces available for his or her customers. And the tow trucks get a quick money maker. It probably costs $200 or more to retrieve the vehicle. Plus they sometimes insist you show proof or registration with the state and proof of valid insurance, just in case you were negligent on those items.

It ain't worth it, drive around, find a spot and walk the few extra blocks.

I work on a college campus, and we have a lot of business bordering campus that are fiercely protective of their parking spots. It's understandable as they often don't have many and will have students try to park there to avoid paying for on-campus parking. During the first week of every semester, the McDonalds, which is a block away from the parking office, has spotters in the lot and tow trucks staged-they WILL tow you if you step one foot off their property. A favorite tactic is to park there, go in and get a cup of coffee, or whatever and then walk over to parking to buy your parking pass-something they quit putting up with a long time ago as the waits during the first week can be an hour or better at the parking office.

In any case, I'll sometimes walk over to a sandwich shop on the other end of campus for lunch. This particular shop has basically zero parking(there are about 20 on-street spots that they share with 10 other businesses) but they stay plenty busy from foot traffic. There is a strip mall across the street that has just enough parking for their customers, but many folks think they'll get clever and will park in the strip mall and will walk to the sandwich shop or one of the other restaurants in the same strip. There again, the strip mall has folks who watch it and if anyone parks and steps off their property, they have a tow truck there in 5-10 minutes. If I spend 20 or 30 minutes there eating lunch, it's rare to not see at least one car towed, and often two or three. I also see plenty of folks go running, but of course if the truck is there the car owner still has to cough up the money to avoid a trip.

Originally Posted By: OilFilters
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Guess this Mustang owner got by without broken windows, but I'm sure the rear end was scratched and maybe even dented up.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Seattle/comments/33rtzw/to_the_idiot_who_parked_in_front_of_the_hydrant/

Interesting that the curb isn't painted there.

It does not need to be.
Parking in front of a hydrant is illegal everywhere in the US (although apparently the distance varies state by state, I know in Texas it is within 15 feet).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back