Automotive service advisor jobs

Status
Not open for further replies.
All,

As I posted in an earlier thread I am at risk of being fired from my biotech job and am considering non-STEM career options. One opening I found was for a service advisor position at a local dealership. Someone had asked about this type of job previously (can't find the thread-people mention service advisors thousands of times on BITOG :) ).

Anyone have experience or thoughts about this position? I remember someone responding to the previous thread that they do not love the job but do not remember the reason.

Many thanks!

I can't think of a worse job...honestly...

I see these guys, most of whom know quite little about cars, and have never turned a wrench, trying to upsell a bunch of services to people who also don't know much about cars.

I've had them tell me things that are simply untrue, and demonstrate complete ignorance about the car in question. I've seen the condescension when I ask questions or disagree with them on a service or procedure.

Granted, some of the guys are good, but I couldn't imagine setting myself up for the conflict between the customer's best interest and the interest of the service department... I really dislike most of the service advisors that I have had to deal with.

Perhaps you would be like the few that I really like. For example, the guy at VB Mercedes, a former Army Helo pilot, who is just great to work with. Perhaps you would really like the job...but I can't imagine doing it, personally.

I worked as a mechanic at a Honda dealer in the late 90's before going back to school and becoming a semi mechanic.
It all depends on the dealer. Some dealers pressure the service advisors to obtain impossible goals and some don't.
The dealer of today is looking to hire a DILF.

Not to change the subject, for the Honda airbag recall I took my car in and got a loaner. Pick the car up 5 hours later and service writer tells me I need a new battery.

They tested battery as a 'courtesy' and wanted me to buy a new one. I tell service writer its still under warranty and I will get a replacement with another AutoZone battery. Service writer gets very mad and says (demands) I need new Honda battery.
smirk.gif
This recall was good for dealers to up sell their parts and services. Eventually I had to tell the commissioned guy that I won't buy a battery and telling me 5 times won't get him a $200 sale.

Just get a $30-40 an hour job with your education.
Why spend all your time, aggravation, stress and $$$ on a good education.... only to waste it ?

Back when I worked as a Master Tech at a Dealership, and a few independents, I didn't have much respect for the service writers or management. As the edict was to up-sell at all costs. It was the rampant corruption in the consumer automotive repair industry, that I was also expected to have, that drove me to walk away from that career. I still have my tools, I've kept up with any new tech in the industry, and could get re-certified and return to that line of work if I wanted to. Fortunately, I don't need or want to.

They are the reason no one trusts dealership service. A middle-man between you and the guy doing the work who is there 100% to screw the customer.

Blue collars in a non-stem field might view you as not smart enough for the science laboratory but not tough enough for the jobsite and treat you with contempt.

If you are young enough you could learn a trade, but otherwise use your education. Why work in sales when you can work as a science nerd and be less stressed

I just can't imagine having a PhD in Molecular Biology and then wanting to be a service advisor?

All those years of education, gone. I'm sure there's something you could do that's cool and still in the science field.

I’m currently a service advisor at a Ford dealership. I’m not a guy that knows nothing about vehicles or their needs as described as a job requirement earlier in this thread as I spent 12 years as a tech with senior master certification.

I’m paid a base salary, percentage of overall shop customer pay labor and spiffs for certain sales. The percentage of overall labor is the big one.

The hardest part is that it’s a typical retail job and you’re required to deal with the public. It really makes me appreciate the good customers. The truth is they are few and far between. Everyone expects everything to be free. They want a complimentary wash and vacuum with their warranty oil change and require a loaner because with the wash it will take longer than 45 minutes and that’s an unacceptable wait time. Also they will not ask for these things but tell you it’s your job to provide them because their salesman said so.

You’ll also have to babysit at least 2 techs if it’s a big shop. You can count on at least a few that will be incapable of finding labor times, labor operations, actually ordering the parts that have been approved or writing a repair description that warranty will accept. So plan on just doing that for them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I just can't imagine having a PhD in Molecular Biology and then wanting to be a service advisor?

All those years of education, gone. I'm sure there's something you could do that's cool and still in the science field.

^^ this.
anyone that can make instrument panel cookies must know a thing or two.

o.p. -- due to your job situation stressing you out, you are not thinking clearly. think about taking a week or so off, so you can think through this problem.
when I was a kid , working in a restaurant, the owner said, repeatedly, that the worst kind of job to have, is working with the public. over time, from what I see/hear from people doing this, he was right.
as I said, take a few days off, clear your head, and look for other employment in your field.good luck.

What's the turnover like? Am wondering if it's something you can try and if it doesn't suit you... move on. Like when an in-field job comes up.

It's entirely possible that they might look at your qualifications and simply pass over you, thinking that you'd be apt to do the above.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
I can't think of a worse job...honestly...

I see these guys, most of whom know quite little about cars, and have never turned a wrench, trying to upsell a bunch of services to people who also don't know much about cars.

I've had them tell me things that are simply untrue, and demonstrate complete ignorance about the car in question. I've seen the condescension when I ask questions or disagree with them on a service or procedure.

Granted, some of the guys are good, but I couldn't imagine setting myself up for the conflict between the customer's best interest and the interest of the service department... I really dislike most of the service advisors that I have had to deal with.

Perhaps you would be like the few that I really like. For example, the guy at VB Mercedes, a former Army Helo pilot, who is just great to work with. Perhaps you would really like the job...but I can't imagine doing it, personally.

I was actually quite impressed by one at an MB dealer. I had them update the firmware and it lost the bluetooth pairing. But she was able to figure it out. I probably could have done it on my own once I realized that the pairing was bad after the update but I just told her it wasn't working and she came out and fixed it on the spot, thought maybe the update didn't take or something.

Thanks for all of the responses so far!

yeti: yes, the stress is probably not helping with my decision making.

To others: I will take everyone's feedback seriously.

I've applied to several other in-field jobs this weekend (there are not as many as one might expect) and am basically looking at anything and everything.

One thing if you do become a service writer at a dealer, don't be a jerk to your parts department. I have worked with a bunch of service writers over the years and the ones who are nice to the parts department will get more help from me.

Is there a minimum amount of money you need to make ?
Is this a temp job change or permanent career change ?
Are you willing to retrain ?

What does your wife say about you wanting job change ?

The poster above works for GE Healtcare, maybe get a job with them or another one of their subsidiaries. A company like that will value someone with such an education. Also look at Government jobs as well but those can take 6 months or so to get hired. Most teaching jobs require doctoral degrees. Maybe one of the colleges you attended since you have a connection to them.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
The poster above works for GE Healtcare, maybe get a job with them or another one of their subsidiaries. A company like that will value someone with such an education. Also look at Government jobs as well but those can take 6 months or so to get hired.

Also Phillips.
OP, have you considered a data scientist job?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back