Fram XG2, ~4,000 miles, two years in service

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you saw my other recent cut-open filter, the TG4386, this is the oil change I needed to do when I discovered that train wreck.

Car is a 1997 Mustang GT, ~55,000 miles on the clock, about 4,000 miles / two years on this oil change. Oil was 5W-30 Penzoil Platinum. Generally the Mustang hibernates in the garage and goes out on nice days...and gets drive hard...but when the Tundra had the infamous Secondary Air Injection System valve failure while my wife was in the hospital 100 miles away...the 'stang got pressed into three weeks of 200 miles per day service. Now that she's now in the hospital local, I had some time to catch up on the oil change today.

Absolutely nothing exciting about this filter at all. I rather like it - seems very well made. I forget to get a picture of the ADBV, but absolutely no issues with it. I installed a Mobil1 oil filter from wally-world and 5 quarts of 5W-20 M1 and 1 quart of 5W-30 M1. (wife's car uses 4 quarts 5W-30 and it's next in line)

thanks,
ben

Originally Posted By: Zee09
Could have went two more years. Thanks for the cp.

Completely agree! Absolutely no issues. I should have mentioned in my original post that the filter materials seems very thick in comparison to other filters I've cut open.
smile.gif

thanks much,
ben

Originally Posted By: kd5byb

Completely agree! Absolutely no issues. I should have mentioned in my original post that the filter materials seems very thick in comparison to other filters I've cut open. ...
Right. What made you replace it so prematurely?

Originally Posted By: CR94
What made you replace it so prematurely?

Just being my usual anal-retentive self.
wink.gif
Figured that the oil had been in there for two years so it needed changing...and if I'm going to change the oil I might as well replace the filter... Plus, I really wanted to see inside an XG filter with my own two eyes!
lol.gif

thanks,
ben

Filter looks good ... was there any crud collected down in the dome end of the filter? I'm assuming it mounts at a 45 deg angle on the engine with the dome end down like most Ford V8s. Your engine is probably super clean inside, but still wondering if anything settled out and could be seen inside the filter dome end.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Filter looks good ... was there any crud collected down in the dome end of the filter? I'm assuming it mounts at a 45 deg angle on the engine with the dome end down like most Ford V8s. Your engine is probably super clean inside, but still wondering if anything settled out and could be seen inside the filter dome end.

Nothing settled out at all - the inside was so clean I couldn't get the camera to auto-focus.
lol.gif
The 1997 4.6L has the filter mounted horizontally on the front of the block on the driver's side - a very easy-to-access location. I'd assume the other Ford 4.6L's are the same way, but I've only ever looked at this one so I don't know for sure.

thanks much,
ben

And still would have come out underused.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
If there ever was a great circumstance for running one filter multiple OCIs, I'd say this was one.

Yep, for sure!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back