Mechanic's supplier open to public

Status
Not open for further replies.
As some of you know, I switched jobs earlier this year. Beautiful little river town with lots of history and fun things to see and do. 2 reservoirs locally with lots of hiking, many hipster craft beer bars etc. Aside from the theatre during my HS days, I know nothing about the place. Lately, I've just been putting around town and noticed an auto parts/ tools store with a sign that says "open to the public." Sounds like a neat place for a BITOG'r such as myself right? All they have is AZ and NAPA.

I get there and they have no name oil, rebadged WIX filters, brake lights you'd find on a Ford Ranger with a wood bed and tire patch kits with a showroom the size of a small living room. They could get me tools, but they had to be ordered and "marked up" bringing them to about 45% over retail. Wait time was the same as online. Parts wise, they just carried no name stuff compared to any other B&M store in town.

Welp, I tried a mom and pop shop. I'll go back to my online purchasing...

They must have good prices for actual garages or something.

I went to a OTR truck shop once in Niagara to get some Delo trans fluid. They had all sorts of strange things in a tiny shop, but I assume their business was parts and consumables with garages, not a retail storefront.

Last edited:
Dave, i didnt even know you switched jobs
smile.gif

Hope its working out for you

Local mom and pop store back home has WIX stuff and real books for looking up parts
smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
It rarely makes sense to buy something locally unless you are in dire need for it.

Ebay had a coupon last week, and I got a set of 2 front rotors, and a set of ceramic pads for $60 shipped to my door for my sonata.

The parts received were the same grade as anything from a parts store.

maxdustinton has it right, these small town shops exist to supply local businesses.

Can you use your new employer's credentials to purchases product, or present yourself as a home business (might be enough to just say so, or spend $10 to print out some business cards to hand over) maybe even go so far as to take out a business license (sole proprietorship) and find out what their commercial discount is. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Originally Posted By: Red91
What was the no name oil? Grades?

I want to say Pro something. Silver quarts.

Didn't bother looking at the weights.

Do you think the place is perhaps a closeout inventory type of place? We have a store here in Cullman, out by the interstate called Tool Shed, and I'd say 95% of there inventory is closeout items from unsold or discontinued stock from other stores. They have a lot of cheap stuff, but often they'll have husky, kobalt and craftsman tools at over less than half the price of its original sale price. I wonder if this place you went to is similar, but they're applying a considerably higher markup.

Originally Posted By: Red91
I don't understand. Why does supplying mechanics eliminate the possibility of a closeout shop?

I don't understand why it even matters.

For your sake, I'll say it is a closeout store.

Well [censored] man, I was just discussing it with you. I found your topic interesting and thought I'd engage in conversation, and my question was genuine. The tool store I told you about is more or less a closeout store, and they, by default of dealing with the public, also supply mechanics. That's why I asked why the store in your topic couldn't be a closeout store because they supply mechanics. I actually would be interested in seeing some pictures of the place if you ever return, only because the place is kind of an oddball business with the way you described it.

To me, "closeout" means limited quantity so if a mechanic has a 5% chance at finding what they need, they' probably go elsewhere first. The mechanic would rightfully pass the cost to the customer so they probably don't care too much about price either.

The tool options were different tiered brands that I had heard of, which (IMO) eliminates the possibility of them being closeout. Just another observation.

As far as the parts, I really have no idea. I most likely won't be going back unless I am desperate. There's an AZ right down the road and a NAPA on the other side of town.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back