Rear shock options?

Status
Not open for further replies.
01 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4WD. I’m going to be doing a fair amount of towing with this vehicle in the near future. It has the original rear shocks and Bilsteins in the front to level the rake. Just driving around it’s fine, with a small amount of sag in the rear. When hooked up to just the trailer, it sags a bit more and any load shows it’s obvious I need something more substantial back there. With over 200K on the vehicle, it’s time to change the rears. I know a stock shock would be an improvement but I’m wondering what shocks would be good to use in the rear that won’t sag as bad when towing but still offer a good ride on the highway when not towing? I can replace them myself but I’m uninformed about brands aside from Monroe and Bilstein which is a more off road oriented shock I assume.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

The shocks won't help with sag. You may need new springs.

With 200k, might as well replace the shocks too. OE sound like they stood the test of time. Bilstein would be nice too. Get the cheaper option. I'm personally not a fan of Monroe.

Last edited:
I don’t know if the bilsteins are wasted on me since I’m not off roading or if I’m paying for the name. They do have a cheaper option with s good warranty so that’s good. The front ones have done well. Thanks for the reply.

Originally Posted By: Tlhfirelion
I don’t know if the bilsteins are wasted on me since I’m not off roading or if I’m paying for the name. They do have a cheaper option with s good warranty so that’s good. The front ones have done well. Thanks for the reply.

In between price of those mentioned is Rancho RS5000’s … used them a few times, better control over OEM and held up to rough service …

Replacing suspension parts seems to come with uncertainty (or surprises) over ride height.
Where front strut manufacturers place their bottom spring plate might be the problem.
Also, where most people probably prefer a level car, many vehicles were designed with a slightly raised rear end in anticipation of loads.
It's said my station wagon was made that way.

The >200K on your odo might be the "whole story". In other words, your rear springs might be fatigued.
If the sag bothers you, consider springs.

I think it was Rancho 5000 series we put on a friend's Frontier and we weren't too impressed. They have an adjustment valve on the fronts which, frankly, didn't seem to have any effect. Also, the overly thick white, sparkly paint job flaked away whenever anything touched it. While that's no big deal it may point to overall quality.
Also, the Ranchero line is "always" featured on big, seasonal sales so maybe they are just "rum of the mill" products.

Any premium for rear Bilsteins won't be that much.

The other, non-Bilstein monotubes don't seem to be offered for your 2001 Sequoia. That is, no KYB MonoMax, no Gabriel Max Control, and no Monroe Reflex, and no Ranchos for your truck.

But you do need springs, as they are what control the height rather than the shocks.

Never had any RS5000’s that adjusts
Agree on the OEM painting ... I just rattle can spray another two coats with Rustoleum

I have wondered about these airbags and have a friend that has them. He seems to like them but he tows a lot more than I do. He's dialed them in inflation wise so they aren't too bouncy and what not. I don't know i this or new springs would serve me better. Thanks for your reply

Thats good information, thank you. I loathe the look of the cheap suspension parts on vehicles. I'd rather have [censored] looking stock than a bright and colorful "RANCHO" thats half legible.

You may be right. I've never replaced those, seems rather straight forward to replace them. Just need a spring compressor, correct?

I'm seeing some replacement springs that seem to offer a higher load capacity than OEM, but I suspect my ride quality will suffer when not towing. Is that a safe assumption?

Originally Posted By: Tlhfirelion
You may be right. I've never replaced those, seems rather straight forward to replace them. Just need a spring compressor, correct?

For naked coil springs that aren't on struts, you lower the axle another couple inches beyond its normal lowest level (limited by the shocks-- so unbolt their ends) and then jack the axle back up when the new springs are seated. Watch that you don't overextend brake hoses etc.

You will also want to respect the natural power in springs and make sure they're seated properly before reassembling. Keep your fingers out and use a prybar for any final adjustments as it starts closing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back