Oil for a 300ZX?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Evening, folks! Quick question....

I've just purchased a 1990 Nissan 300ZX with the NA (non-turbo) 6 cylinder engine. It has just under 78,000 miles on it, and has been driven very rarely in the last year or so, since it's last oil change. After a test drive, I checked the oil and it was a nice, clean golden color. The young lady selling it just had too many vehicles, and had to sacrifice one to be able to buy a new house.

My question is: I plan on an oil change in the next week or so. The specs call for 10w-30 or 10w-40. Should I stay with that weight of oil, or switch to a 5w? I'm in Washington, so, the weather averages from the 30's in Winter to the 80's in Summer. Not too hot, not too cold.

I don't plan on much Winter weather driving with it, that's what my Tahoe is for. Just looking for a reasonable oil for some top-down driving when it's nice. Thanks in advance!

I vote 10w30 if you don't plan on taking it out during cooler winter months.

10w40 would be ideal if you plan on beating on it CONSTANTLY like it's a rental.

Originally Posted By: Puckrobber
Evening, folks! Quick question....
I've just purchased a 1990 Nissan 300ZX with the NA (non-turbo) 6 cylinder engine. It has just under 78,000 miles on it, and has been driven very rarely in the last year or so, since it's last oil change. After a test drive, I checked the oil and it was a nice, clean golden color. The young lady selling it just had too many vehicles, and had to sacrifice one to be able to buy a new house.
My question is: I plan on an oil change in the next week or so. The specs call for 10w-30 or 10w-40. Should I stay with that weight of oil, or switch to a 5w? I'm in Washington, so, the weather averages from the 30's in Winter to the 80's in Summer. Not too hot, not too cold.
I don't plan on much Winter weather driving with it, that's what my Tahoe is for. Just looking for a reasonable oil for some top-down driving when it's nice. Thanks in advance!

I don't think that 5w was out in 1990 the lowest was 10W, so I think that it should be OK.

Most 10W-30s are all ILSAC oils these days (i.e. fuel economy leaning/thin oils... not what that engine was designed for). I’d run a non-ILSAC 30 weight (5 or 10W) that is ACEA A3 or C3 spec’d. Those are closer to a true (on the thicker side) 30 weight. An equally attractive option would be a dual rated CK-4/SN 5/10W-30.

Last edited:
I use 10W30 Pennzoil Platinum and a Nissan OEM oil filter in my 300ZX. Per Nissan Z32 fsm,only use a 10W. From the 1990-1996 Z32 fsm:

Thanks, guys! Appreciate the info, Aquarius!

The car doesn't have the owners manual anymore, so, I just went by a sticker under the hood. Wanted to get some solid opinions here first.

Thanks, Pelican! Wasn't sure if 5 weight was around then, or not. Figured I'd ask more knowledgeable people than me.

Yes 5 weight was out back in 1990.

I'd go with 5w-30 personally to start. Not sure of that engine is known for burning oil. Enjoy the car.

Thanks, Pelican! Wasn't sure if 5 weight was around then, or not. Figured I'd ask more knowledgeable people than me.

Of course it’s not a “5 weight”, then or now. It’s a 30 weight regardless of the winter rating.

Originally Posted By: Vladiator
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
0W-40 would suit it well.
I vote for 0W-40 as well. Would be a perfect match for that engine.

0W-40 is sort of a one-size fits all oil, and it seems to do the job, as shown in the UOA section.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

Of course it’s not a “5 weight”, then or now. It’s a 30 weight regardless of the winter rating.

See, people do learn things on this forum! Appreciate the info.
grin.gif

Thanks for the 0w-40 suggestion, folks! I'll look into that as well.

Last edited:
That is backward, but I would just run 5w30 year round. I had a 1986 2 seater when I got out of high school. They are fun cars.

Thanks, all! I'll probably start off with a 10w-30 to get through the Summer first, then, a 40 weight during the cold temps.

Why?

No real reason. I won't be driving it much in the colder weather. Should I just do 10w-30 year-round? Or something different while it sits for a month or two?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back