Tapered bolt torque?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
2 ooga oogas and then line the castle nut up to the hole for the cotter pin.

2 oogas oogas if you are using a potent 1/2” impact, otherwise I recommend 4-6 oogas oogas with a 3/8” impact.

If the ball joints didn't come with a piece of paper that says the torque value, you can usually look up service manuals online. Or ask the parts store people to look it up for you, a lot of times they can even print you instructions on how to change something out.

Just tighten it firmly then to the next notch on the castle nut. Do not use an impact to install parts on an aluminum spindle (you should not be using one on these types of parts anyway). The spindle can crack easily with the force of the impacts before you realize what happened.

I did a van a couple of years ago that a chain tire store had replaced a tie rod on and did an alignment, they cracked the friggin spindle and the A hole put a big washer under the nut and said nothing, they turned out a job with potentially fatal consequences.
Make a long story short it broke out luckily when the guy was pulling in his driveway.

Very interesting to see people using impacts to torque new bolts.

I usually snug up and do 1/4 to 1/2 a turn to line up the castle nut to the pin hole with a wrench.

Memory tells me around 35 ft-lbs. I don't think it's critical as long as there is no movement in the joint.

I also make sure to slather antiseize on the taper so it can come apart easier the next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back