I did a boo-boo, oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
A questions for the professionals here at the BITOG, please. This is what I did; I changed fluid in transmission yesterday, plug drain and fill, and I normally turn on the engine while fluid is draining out, few moments of course, to drain the most; in the process, I normally go thru the gears, maybe once, perhaps twice, reason to activate torque converter so I have the most fluid out. It is my second drain and fill in past 2k miles; I've been doing this since day one I got this car;

So this is a booboo part, yesterday I changed the engine oil as well; once I got the car on the ramps and I decided to to both fluid changes simultaneously; of course once I had transmission fluid out I proceeded to drain engine oil; in the process I totally forgot I had engine oil out at the moment; so I went and started the car while oil was out, I know silly me; the whole process took less than 3 sec; so naturally I did not take any more extra steps in regards of transmission oil; Naturally I was scared so I fill in both fluids, put the plugs and closed the hood.

So my question is did I screw anything in your opinion, whats your take; have you ever did something similar, and how it did affect your car if any; Needless to say, prior to changing the fluids the car was driven and all fluids were warmed up to the work temperatures.

3 seconds didn't hurt a thing. Think of it as your car's first severe cold start.

I must confess, I am not a huge fan of running the engine with the transmission draining though..

This is one of those instances where you probably did no damage if you only ran the engine for 3 seconds. Honestly I think your practice of servicing the transmission is not good. I would never run a transmission low on fluid for a "few moments" and put it through the gears. It was dangerously low on fluid to begin with from the pan drop. If you really want to get out extra fluid do a line off fluid exchange.

+3 on what the others said. Stop running the engine to try and remove more fluid. You probably are creating more metal on metal wear by doing this.

One member did it on one of his exotics to get the rest of the oil out. That was the day I stopped reading his post.
A couple of seconds didn't bother it, there was still some oil on the bearings, I wouldn't make a habit of it though.

If it was just 3 seconds you're okay. I wouldn't use those practices of changing the tranny fluid. You can damage a valve body or have a valve stay open due to low fluid pressure.

What a dumb thing to do.
You just lost your BITOG card.
All your diy privileges have been cancelled.
And don't volunteer to help anyone else out with theirs either.

I would also like to point out that there is no reason to start the car when changing the ATF to get extra fluid out. There is an oil pump in there and oil pumps don't like running dry.
If you want to exchange the most ATF I woul like into the cooler line method or simply be patient with D&FS.

There's only potential to damage things when you're running the transmission pump while draining . Running the pump dry would be bad.

I had a car with no drain plug. I'd disconnect one of the transmission lines, run for 30 seconds, then fill.; But never ran it dry

You be a'right.....but running while draining....I wouldn't. Just do it while AT is hot, it will flow out better.

I think the big issue everyone's missing is to not run the engine while draining the ATF.
27.gif

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
I think the big issue everyone's missing is to not run the engine while draining the ATF.
27.gif

... Almost every reply to the original post has mentioned not running the engine and going through gears to get out more ATF. I don't think anyone's missing the "big issue"...

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
3 seconds didn't hurt a thing. Think of it as your car's first severe cold start.

I must confess, I am not a huge fan of running the engine with the transmission draining though..

^this

Originally Posted By: PimTac
I would not be changing both the engine oil and the atf simultaneously. Too many chances for mixup.
Originally Posted By: Schmoe
You be a'right.....but running while draining....I wouldn't. Just do it while AT is hot, it will flow out better.
Originally Posted By: Donald
don't run the engine.

+1 on all these.

Every so often, I see a video, or a post on a forum, etc.. where someone says that they start the car while they're doing an oil change, or a trans fluid drain & fill, etc..

.. and every time, I cringe. Running either the engine, or the trans, or both, without fluid in either, or both, is just a really BAD idea, and serves little, to zero, functional purpose. Just warm up what you want to drain, then drain it, refill it, button it all up, and THEN start, and top off as needed.

Also, as has been pointed out, do one, then once that's finished and sealed, do the other. Never do both together.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
If you want to exchange the most ATF I woul like into the cooler line method or simply be patient with D&FS.

Yes, the cooler outlet line method has you idling the engine while draining up to a couple quarts of trans fluid...and no longer than when the steady stream starts to spurt bubbles. And no doubt your are "low on fluid level" during this procedure. This is Ford's approved method for my 2001/2002 Lincoln Continentals. Though first you change all the fluid in the pan before moving along to the cooler line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back