Drain plug leak

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did that last change. Dunno if it would have leaked if I hadn't, and didn;t particularly want to find out.

The plug had PTFE tape around it when I first removed it. Can't remember if I replaced that but I probably did. There might be a risk of getting PTFE in your oil which could block an oilway, but the risk seems fairly low with a bit of care.

A bit of Teflon tape, applied properly, should help with your
oil seeping issue.
You could look for a 14mm washer that has a rubber core built in to the DP.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
I'm working on a Nissan Maxima project car that's leaking like crazy. Some kind of weird bronze oil bolt crush washer is required which I ordered off eBay

Nissan (and Infiniti) use their own version of a crush washer but many people never use a new one, use a different design that can be picked up at any auto parts store, etc, etc.

Originally Posted By: HYUNDAIFAN0001
Ditto. I've seen many dealers put in a new washer at every oil change to avoid that as the source of any problem.

I've bought the crush washers for our Honda vehicles and an Infiniti (bought at Nissan) and both times I picked them up, I've casually asked how many they keep in stock. Both places told me they stock "hundreds" of them. Both Honda and Nissan appear to use the same washer for many, many years (decades, actually) across most if not all of their models (I don't mean they 'share' washer part numbers, to be clear). To me, that suggests that their techs do probably change them on their oil changes.

If the plug is tight enough (try 30 ft-lbs) and it still leaks with a new washer, then there is an issue with the mating surfaces.

I assume that you are using the correct aluminum crush washer and not the plastic crush washers from AutoZoo?

2 pages already? OK, people like to share.

BUT the OP has already fixed it. Its fine. He's just seeking affirmation from the brothers.

OP, Carry On.

This is my second second oil change I’ve done since buying the car. I have done both, but on my first one, I had to use a breaker bar to get the plug off... Not sure who to put the fault on but I’ve been changing my oil for 10 years now and have never had an issue.

Originally Posted By: ahilton00
This is my second second oil change I’ve done since buying the car. I have done both, but on my first one, I had to use a breaker bar to get the plug off... Not sure who to put the fault on but I’ve been changing my oil for 10 years now and have never had an issue.

That likely explains it. The plug was was overtightened.

Originally Posted By: ahilton00
but on my first one, I had to use a breaker bar to get the plug off...

You could have included that bit of info in the original post. Why did you leave it out?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ducked
2 pages already? OK, people like to share.

BUT the OP has already fixed it. Its fine. He's just seeking affirmation from the brothers.

OP, Carry On.

He didn't fix it. Applying sealant is a temporary and some would say, frowned upon "solution".

Threads are damaged, bung weld is cracked, bolt is crossthreaded, crush washer is inadequate. That would cover 99.9% if what would be wrong. and a good crushwasher would block any leak if the threads were somewhat damaged. Just don't kill the crusghwasher, I just tigheten them until its crushed. I have the Nissan "bellows" type. Requires MINIMAL torque to seal.

I had a new Subaru Forester with the plug painted on from factory. Stuck so hard a 6pt box wrench rounded off the bolt head ( I saved it and I have the bugger on my desk as I type this) Junk mild steel plug with small 14 hexnut on BIG threads. Previous design Was 17MM and NEVER had an issue, now reduced to 14mm plug doesn't work. Mild steel, small hex head = large bolt root diameter = disaster.

Hello all.

So an update because I just changed the oil again. The leak is so slow, which is so annoying... I changed it, added high temp rtv to the new washer (half [censored] I know), and stared at the plug for a good 10 minuets with the car running and no indication of a leak. I’ll drive to work, come home, check again and there’s a drop at the bottom of the plug. It’s too slow to consider a new oil pan plus labor. I’m scared to try the oversized plug honestly since this is a new(ish) car. Any other suggestions? I should have ordered the ez oil drain plug to try but I didn’t. What’s the chances of that working? This is driving me insane.

301989_6.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back