Do you have jumper cables in your trunk/cab now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes in every vehicle I've ever owned. In 35 +years if driving I've used a spare tire twice. I've used jumper cables, mostly for others, at least twice a year.

I like the jumper/boost box, but I also carry cables. I feel there's less risk to my car using the jumper box to help someone else, and I also can save my own bacon without needing another car.

Originally Posted By: jkhawaii
I would never jump start any ones car.

Agreed

But I do have a set in case I'm in trouble
smirk.gif

I can't see a possible need. Little plastic card in my wallet brings all the help I could need. That's why I pay not just for AAA, but their top service. I honestly can't remember ever needing a jump while on the road anyway. I've used them in a boat (totally different animal), I've used a plug in jump starter at home in below zero weather on a battery I already knew was dying, but...well, I don't run my freakin' batteries dead! Even if you get a jump you still just about ruined your battery if you run it down.

I would never take a jump from a stranger, people are homicidally crazy these days. I would never give a jump to a stranger for the same reason, and also the added liability...what happens if something else in their car breaks, even unrelated, or somebody gets hurt and they try to sue you? It's not uncommon for batteries to blow up during a jump, especially if somebody screws up and clamps the negative to the battery terminal and makes sparks. If it doesn't seriously hurt somebody, it will ruin a paint job. I've seen it happen.

Sure...it might take AAA an hour longer on occasion...given the extreme rare need, (never, that I can remember) I can wait.

Nope!

I have a good set, but they are at the bottom of my recovery tote. Which it something that only sees the light of day on a trail.

I don't want anything to do with giving someone a jumpstart and potentially screwing up their vehicle or my vehicle. I also don't like lieing and saying I don't have a cable set if I really do. So I just leave them at home all the time.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Has anyone here actually messed up their car giving a boost to someone? I haven't or even know anyone who has had a problem.

I triple check polarity and voltages before hooking up. I was nervous about jumping the motorcycle because at the time neither me nor the rider knew if it was a 12 volt system. Battery was so dead it needed a tombstone so I couldn't tell from measurement, it was a sealed type without any distinct caps on the cells to count, and the label was missing. Looked up replacement batteries for that bike model online to confirm before attaching the cables because I did not want to turn the guy's bike into a fireworks show.

Has anyone here actually messed up their car giving a boost to someone? I haven't or even know anyone who has had a problem.

I've seen a battery that was jumped perfectly correctly explode dumping acid all over the guy standing in front of it and the engine bay.

I carry one of those mini booster packs since there will be times there won't be any cars near me to receive a jump. Dead cells can be unpredictable and it's heart dropping when your battery meter reads <10v.

2 am jet lag run to Walmart ... truck not started in a month ... DOA ... so used HD cables in bed box and spare battery from boat ... shopping done and at Denny’s for breakfast ...
PS: alternator topped off battery

I saw that happen in trade school many years ago. I have also seen some batteries with 2 red or black cables because some needed one that would fit and didn't care what color it was.

I bought a mint 65 Lotus Cortina years ago that someone had jumped and smoked the wiring harness. It was a positive ground system.

Originally Posted By: OilFilters

I've seen a battery that was jumped perfectly correctly explode dumping acid all over the guy standing in front of it and the engine bay.

The last connection is supposed to be the negative cable on to the frame of the charging car, presumably far enough away from the battery that sparking won't ignite it. I assume this fellow clipped on to the negative post on the battery?
I guess the booster packs have that advantage of no sparks.

I do, but OTOH I've not had a need for these things in the past 15 years. Not like the real old days when they would get used from time to time.

I think I use my cables, 2 or 3 times per year. I have people that know I work on cars and will call me when they have a problem, so I throw my tool kit in the old Crown Vic service truck and see whats up.
If I used them much more, I would consider mounting a big ol Anderson connector on the push bumper with heavy wire to my battery. Then I wouldnt have to open my hood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back