Honda 1.5T and Long Drains

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: parshisa
Please stop this nonsense!!!!!!!! Perfectly fine engine and fuel dilution is managebale!!!!!!

Owners are reporting oil level rising an inch on the dipstick and UOAs are showing 5% fuel!
crazy2.gif

Please stop this nonsense!!!!!!!! Perfectly fine engine and fuel dilution is managebale!!!!!!

Maybe. But of the dozens of 1.5T UOAs I've seen yours is the only one that didn't show trashed viscosity or GC fuel dilution >5% after not particularly long intervals. Add in rising sump levels and it sure seems to be an issue for quite a few.

Maybe it can be managed, but 99% of owners are going to need help from Honda if that's going to happen.

Ok, I think I have to partially take it back and correct myself.
1. It is a fine engine, but not perfectly fine as it requires some extra attention for optimal performance and functioning.
2. Fuel dilution is an issue. It is manageable but requires additional efforts and certain level of awareness which is not the case for 99% of the owners. This is where Honda needs to step in and do something about it.

With that said, there's nothing that needs to scare anyone away from the ownership. Although, you need to be ready to do a little extra if you're not the guy who trades the car in every other year. Hope this makes sense.

Ok, I think I have to partially take it back and correct myself.
1. It is a fine engine, but not perfectly fine as it requires some extra attention for optimal performance and functioning.
2. Fuel dilution is an issue. It is manageable but requires additional efforts and certain level of awareness which is not the case for 99% of the owners. This is where Honda needs to step in and do something about it.

With that said, there's nothing that needs to scare anyone away from the ownership. Although, you need to be ready to do a little extra if you're not the guy who trades the car in every other year. Hope this makes sense.

Manageable but requires additional efforts?

If you read that thread on the CRV forums, owners are being told by Honda service managers they need a 1k OCI until Honda comes up with a fix....

http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/137-...-oil-level.html

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china...e-idUSKBN1FW124

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-honda...d-idUSKCN1GE1P8

Last edited:
From the CR-V FB page:

"I just got word from my dealer that Honda is now going to pay for my 500 mile oil changes. A TSB has just been released in the USA and they informed me that fix will be issued very shortly. My dealer assured me Honda will be extending warranties as well. Being the squeaky wheel is working and the release of the class action is putting pressure on them."

I was referring to my personal experience with 1.5T engine in civic equipped with manual transmission. It might be irrelevant to those CRV owners with the same engine and CVT

That is madness. My comments are completely irrelevant. Wow, no words...

If blackstone reported 4.5% it's probable more than 15%. My only guess is that CRV are tuned differently. I don't think fuel dilution with Civic is near as severe as with CRV.

It is weird that Honda still use direct injection only in their "premium" 1.5T engine, whereas naturally aspirated 2.0L (which comes in base Civic) engine has dual injection.

That is madness. My comments are completely irrelevant. Wow, no words...

If blackstone reported 4.5% it's probable more than 15%. My only guess is that CRV are tuned differently. I don't think fuel dilution with Civic is near as severe as with CRV.

I think you are overreacting and overly defensive in all Honda/1.5T engine topics.

Take it easy man, no need to be fanboy in an oil forum. It is still too early to talk about the reliability, as nobody reached 100k+ mark.

No science to this at all but... I was recently at a dealer looking at a Civic Type R. Right next to it on the lot was an SI with the 1.5T. No joke the engine bay and dipstick smelled like gas. The Type R didn't (2.0T). Of course I've read about the fuel dilution issues on the 1.5T, but you can actually SMELL the fuel. Something weird is going on with those motors. That drain that Brigadier showed is scary.

Originally Posted By: Brigadier
This lucky owner drained his oil, and 7 liters came out - oil/gas mixture.

This is really frightening considering the 1.5 has only a 4qt sump. A good friend of ours just bought a CRV. I should ask her sometime if she smells fuel. She does drive a lot though, up to 100+ miles a day.

I’m not a honda fan boy by any means. I’ve never had hondas up until 2yrs ago when my wife decided she wants pilot. If it was up to me it wouldn’t be this car.

Civic just happened to be the only car with manual transmission with adequate power at reasonable cost. Am i happy with the civic? For sure! Is my wife happy with the pilot? Absolutely. Does this make me honda fan boy? Not at all

I’m not being defensive when it comes to honda 1.5T engines. My “wow” comment belongs to the looks of the oil and gasoline mixture. Let me know if this doesn’t make sense or there arw any other questions or concerns. Cheers

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
That 7qt drain would have me running 20w-50 at 3k intervals. 0.o

It would have me trading in
crackmeup2.gif

The variable valve system wouldn’t like it though.

The oil I drained from this one smells ok, and the level was fine. I checked for software updates and did not find any.

I did take an oil sample (10,200 miles) and will be sending it to Oil Analyzers next week.

Originally Posted By: PimTac

The variable valve system wouldn’t like it though.

It’d thin down after 500 miles or so lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back