Is Motorcraft orange coolant really just Dexcool?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You could have just asked the service dept to top off the coolant. You simply walk in and state to them the level is low and your concerned there may be a problem with the cooling system.

They write you a ticket, which you keep for a possible warranty claim if you continue to lose fluid. Then they top your level with the correct fluid. Shouldn't cost you a dime on a car under warranty.

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
There is no reason to avoid Dex cool in modern properly gasketed setups. Do you think Ford would have switched to Dex cool if there was something wrong with it? Gasket compatibility has been well sorted out since the 90s!

Dex cool systems are far cleaner than most of the other systems i have seen, if they are not messed up they are usually spotless.

Asian OEMs still don't allow 2-EHA in their super-long-life coolants. Since Asian OEMs are known for reliability, that tells you something.

The only thing I can infer from that is that Asian OEMs don't want to change what they have been doing or don't have the proper gasket setups for 2EH

Originally Posted By: 05LGTLtd
You could have just asked the service dept to top off the coolant. You simply walk in and state to them the level is low and your concerned there may be a problem with the cooling system.

They write you a ticket, which you keep for a possible warranty claim if you continue to lose fluid. Then they top your level with the correct fluid. Shouldn't cost you a dime on a car under warranty.

True, but the car would be fully warmed up by the time I got to the dealer and then it would be between the lines on the tank. The lines on the tank are for cold readings.

Wayne

Originally Posted By: wtd
...I plan on using Dex-cool in this car while under warranty and then see if I can use anything else after....

And that is certainly your call. I will say though, the biggest possible issue with DexCool with 2eha being used in non dex spec'd systems is gasket incompatibility. Silicone based gaskets can be affected by 2eha which is what's referred to as a plasticizer.

While I understand some distrust of DexCool based on some past GM issues, I believe in systems now engineered for Dex and that include a pressurized recovery tank it will work just fine. Joining GM, Ford has decided to go to Dex across it's line up but not back spec older models, which indicates to me they have done their homework. I'd have confidence using DexCool in the new Ford systems calling for it.

And like it or not, the vast majority of universal AF's sold at auto parts stores and WM including store brands and brand names like Peak Long life and Prestone are Dexclones containing 2eha. Makes them now suitable for use in GM and Ford specing DexCool.

I have a 98 Chevy K1500 with the 5.7L that I bought new. I have had the intake manifold gaskets replaced three times, once under warranty and all of these were done within the first 100,000 miles. Truck currently has about 127,000 miles on it and has the second gasket design installed. I know that there have been three gasket revisions since this engine was developed.

I don't know if the problems with this engine and the 5.0, and 4.3L are caused by the Dex-Cool or bad gasket design or both.

I put green antifreeze in it when I flushed it out the last time just because I don't trust the Dex-cool in this application.

More than likely, I will stick with Dex-cool in the Mustang unless it becomes a problem down the road.

Wayne

I have a 98 Chevy K1500 with the 5.7L that I bought new. I have had the intake manifold gaskets replaced three times, once under warranty and all of these were done within the first 100,000 miles. Truck currently has about 127,000 miles on it and has the second gasket design installed. I know that there have been three gasket revisions since this engine was developed.

I don't know if the problems with this engine and the 5.0, and 4.3L are caused by the Dex-Cool or bad gasket design or both.

I put green antifreeze in it when I flushed it out the last time just because I don't trust the Dex-cool in this application.

More than likely, I will stick with Dex-cool in the Mustang unless it becomes a problem down the road.

Wayne

For any application calling for conventional green you can safely upgrade to Motorcraft gold or Zerex G05 and take advantage of longer service life than conventional green.

While the G-05 may certainly be fine in vehicles that originally had the traditional green coolant, the chart produced by Ford for their vehicles says otherwise. It looks like most pre-1999 vehicles manufactured by Ford are still required to have traditional green.

Ford Coolant Chart

Wayne

For any application calling for conventional green you can safely upgrade to Motorcraft gold or Zerex G05 and take advantage of longer service life than conventional green.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: drtyler
While the G-05 may certainly be fine in vehicles that originally had the traditional green coolant, the chart produced by Ford for their vehicles says otherwise. It looks like most pre-1999 vehicles manufactured by Ford are still required to have traditional green.

Ford Coolant Chart

Wayne

I was speaking more about other vehicle makes that spec conventional green, not just Fords.

I would be very interested to hear from a Ford engineer on why they didn't back spec everything to Gold that was pre Dex Cool.

So at the risk of a flame war or the like I'll ask... What aftermarket coolants would provide WSS-M97B44-D compatibility without the ethyl-methyl-badstuff known as Dex-Cool?

Originally Posted By: drtyler

Ford Coolant Chart

Wayne

I was speaking more about other vehicle makes that spec conventional green, not just Fords.

I would be very interested to hear from a Ford engineer on why they didn't back spec everything to Gold that was pre Dex Cool.

My guess is because a full flush should be done before switching to a long life coolant. Changing the spec might have implied that topping off green with G-05 is fine, when it may not be. There is much more at risk here than topping off 5W30 with 5W20, and using 5W20 on later oil changes. This would have been especially true for the OEMs while vehicles using green were still under warranty, which would have been into the mid 2000s.

Ford changed many models over to G-05 around 2001/2002 without any material changes to the cooling system. The cooling system on my truck is the same as the one on a 2001 Ranger 3.0. 2001s got green, my 2002 got gold. The only things that changed on the engine were to delete EGR and change the upper (dry) intake manifold to composite. The areas where coolant flows are all the same.

GM did not back spec pre-1995 models to Dexcool, and they still offer an AC Delco green coolant.

It's really a case of CYA. Telling people that "you can switch to this if you do a complete flush" is too much for the average car owner to comprehend at all. OEMs are not going to go there.

IIRC, a member here has/does run G-05 in 1960s Chryslers.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl

IIRC, a member here has/does run G-05 in 1960s Chryslers.

I ran G05 in both of my 1968 Dodges, and never had a problem, either. When I finally tore both engines down, strictly for the purpose of putting in performance components, I found nothing on the inside that gave any indication either engine was suffering from corrosion, erosion, deposits, or any other coolant related issues. They also never overheated, either.

What about Mazda Long Life Coolant Premium Formula 0000 77 505R 20? It is orange. Does it contain 2-EHA? Is it Dex Cool?

That is DexCool. It was only used in models made in the US and alongside Ford vehicles. The 626 and 6 up until a few years ago was built in the Auto Alliance plant alongside the Mustang.

I realize this is an old thread but... comparing MSDS for Motorcraft Orange and Dexcool, they are NOT the same. Motorcraft does NOT list 2eha. Why is that?

Side note... Prestone Dexcool and Havoline Dexcool each list a different CAS Number for 2eha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back