Harbor Freight "misrepresentation" of sorts

Status
Not open for further replies.
They probably care now since they recently settled a $30 million dollar class action lawsuit. Plaintiff received $10k and the attorneys get $10 million. The rest is for admin. expenses and for other claimants that have come forward.

charged my father a restocking fee on a defective saw because he didn't want another one. so hopefully that saw doesn't make the shelf and get sold to someone else

Originally Posted By: mx5miata
charged my father a restocking fee on a defective saw because he didn't want another one. so hopefully that saw doesn't make the shelf and get sold to someone else

Good way to lose a customer. I know I have few reasons to go in to HFT any more. Free flashlights and other assorted free junk as an incentive to buy trash tools won't do it.

Originally Posted By: TinyVoices
Tons of their hand tools say Pittsburgh. Yeah yeah made in China. Who cares. Just branding.

Exactly, WHO CARES
smile.gif

Harbor Freight "misrepresentation"??!? Say it ain't so!!!
shocked.gif
They've been so reliable and truthful all these years....

This is why you should always pay for things with a Visa or MasterCard. Chargeback = refund without dealing with idiots at the store.

But on Craigslist people say; "Made in Pittsburgh". As they attempt to sell worn out HF combo wrenches for double of what they paid for it.

They are cheap tools. Use a couple of times-throw away. Big deal......

I don't mind this at HF. I know if I go to HF I'm getting cheap Chinese garbage for the most part. What bothers me is when you go to spend good money on what should be a quality product made in the USA, and find out it's still made in China.

If HF is guilty of misrepresentation with their Pittsburgh brand, then so is another brand named after an American city.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
I don't mind this at HF. I know if I go to HF I'm getting cheap Chinese garbage for the most part. What bothers me is when you go to spend good money on what should be a quality product made in the USA, and find out it's still made in China.

If HF is guilty of misrepresentation with their Pittsburgh brand, then so is another brand named after an American city.

But that one is PROFESSIONALLY MADE!!!
eek.gif

I don't think the OP was referring to Pittsburgh, but USA STD as that would be misleading to interpret made in USA. Although I buy some tools from HF, I usually try to buy Snap-On or another USA manufacturer because that's someone's job.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
I usually try to buy Snap-On or another USA manufacturer because that's someone's job.

I usually try to buy things that are the best value for my money regardless of where they are made, because it isn't my job to feed other people...

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS

Made in China is not the issue (well for some it is and I was one of them). The real the issue is Made by whom in China. Many companies have opened plants in China and do their own training, provide the raw materials and QC.
Those are not a problem the ones that out source to the lowest bidder and put their once good name on are the reason for all the negatives.

I agree Milwaukee and quite a lot of others are no better than HF in this regard, the company exist in name only and is owned by a Chinese firm.

This is the Makita factory, Hilti, INA, Sanden, Nikon, Cannon, Bosch, SKF and countless others have their own plants there.
I read an article about the average Chinese worker making about $100 a month, these companies pay considerably more so workers value their jobs and do good work to keep them.

Makes sense to me. I rather have a A/C compressor for example made in China by Sanden in a Sanden factory and assembled with care in China than one assembled in Texas by low skilled possibly migrant workers from the same parts from China and cost $200 more.

Its a mixed bag at HF. I have let smoke out of a 12.99 3/8 VSR . It still works and I know what to expect. I had a 18v Bosch 1/2 chuck with a hammer before I retired. Not an impact. I'm running a cords and its a PITN. I also have 20 buck 6A corded sawzall. Stuff I needed for a job or 2 but not daily. A 5 pack of Lenox demo blades cost me almost as much. The 2 ton come-along and the 3 ton floor jack work. I consider the 212cc Predator engine a solid value. So was the 72 tooth 1/2 ratchet with a built in cheater. Thankfully, the nearest HF is a 50 mile round trip. So that helps keep me out for impulse buys.

to prevent you using for a project and then claiming it doesnt work

Originally Posted By: sprite1741

Good way to lose a customer. I know I have few reasons to go in to HFT any more. Free flashlights and other assorted free junk as an incentive to buy trash tools won't do it.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
I don't think the OP was referring to Pittsburgh, but USA STD as that would be misleading to interpret made in USA. Although I buy some tools from HF, I usually try to buy Snap-On or another USA manufacturer because that's someone's job.

not all snap ont tools are usa mads

Originally Posted By: ted s
to prevent you using for a project and then claiming it doesnt work

Part of the cost of doing business. You won't find any serious retailers charging a restocking fee - only the shady ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back