:::Buy Or Pass (Used Auto Part)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NDL

A month or so ago I inquired about getting a tilt steering column for my 2001 Ford Ranger, which currently has a fixed steering column.

I got a lot of good feedback from my fellow posters
smile.gif
. Since then I have located a tilt column out of a 2001 Ranger, but it has a bit of rust on some of the components, which concerns me.

The price is good, but I am concerned about long term durability of a rusty column. Included are some pics of the column. Would y'all buy or pass?

Thanks in advance

Originally Posted By: JustinH
all the ford columns I have seen look like that. They all have surface rust from moisture in the air.

Ditto. My old F150 that was garaged most of its life STILL had surface rust on parts like this.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Looks fine to me.

Originally Posted By: earlyre
surface rust. nothing to worry about.

all the ford columns I have seen look like that. They all have surface rust from moisture in the air.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45

Ditto. My old F150 that was garaged most of its life STILL had surface rust on parts like this.

Thank you all for your replies. Now I have a measure of confidence to go and buy the column.

As to installation: I might do it, or have my mechanic do it. Most of it is straightforward, and taking the steering wheel off my current column and installing on the new column should be easy.

I do wonder about the ignition switch; is it mounted on the column or under the dash? Second, I have absolutely no idea of how to mate the steering column to the intermediate steering shaft which comes up through the firewall. Is it something a beginner can figure out? I am extra precautious as it is my steering that I would be affecting.

Thanks in advance for your time

Quick question---does the truck have airbags? If so, find out how to disable them, if you haven't already. You don't want it triggering in your face.

Just a thought.

Originally Posted By: eagle23
Quick question---does the truck have airbags? If so, find out how to disable them, if you haven't already. You don't want it triggering in your face.

Just a thought.
There is no special trick to disable airbags. Just disconnect battery and wait about 15 minutes for any capacitors to discharge. Same procedure as every other car ever made with airbags.

What rust? You should come up here and see what rust really looks like. I've seen new cars with more rust (Silverado frames come to mind, although rotors can and will rust like that if they sit for a week or two).

Now if I could only convince my kids of the same thing. They see a spec of rust and they think something is old. Umm no, surface rust just means not shiny any more.

I did one on a mustang or a thunderbird, I forget which one.

The problem was something had broke inside the column that ran the key switch.

Late 90's era so it would be similar to what you have there.

Usually the column comes with the steering wheel attached, but yours did not.

Dropping the column was like 6 bolts and it falls right down. Unplug the electrical harnesses first.

Putting a new one on was simple also. If you have to swap the turn signal lever and key switch in that may take another five minutes.

The airbag is two bolts on the back of the steering wheel under some trim. I think there was some concern not to spin the wheel while its taken apart to damage the airbag clockspring. I remember just swapping that from old to new.

It was a simple job on a late 90's car, should be similar in your ranger.

Buy a repair manual online and take a look, and watch some youtube videos.

It's fine, as others said other parts of your dash will be this rusty. Just looking at completely unprotected steel that lives in an environment that's not damp, but could see condensation and temp/ humidity swings.

Originally Posted By: JC1
Originally Posted By: earlyre
surface rust. nothing to worry about.

+1, take your dash apart and you'll see that on all metal parts.

Originally Posted By: eagle23

Just a thought.

Originally Posted By: supton
What rust? You should come up here and see what rust really looks like. I've seen new cars with more rust (Silverado frames come to mind, although rotors can and will rust like that if they sit for a week or two).

Now if I could only convince my kids of the same thing. They see a spec of rust and they think something is old. Umm no, surface rust just means not shiny any more.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
It's fine, as others said other parts of your dash will be this rusty. Just looking at completely unprotected steel that lives in an environment that's not damp, but could see condensation and temp/ humidity swings.

Appreciate the replies, as I am new to this kind of thing. In talking this over with my mechanic, he suggested that the column not have any rust. On the other hand, he's also used to working on North Carolina vehicles which are rust free
smile.gif

I did one on a mustang or a thunderbird, I forget which one.

The problem was something had broke inside the column that ran the key switch.

Late 90's era so it would be similar to what you have there.

Usually the column comes with the steering wheel attached, but yours did not.

Dropping the column was like 6 bolts and it falls right down. Unplug the electrical harnesses first.

Putting a new one on was simple also. If you have to swap the turn signal lever and key switch in that may take another five minutes.

The airbag is two bolts on the back of the steering wheel under some trim. I think there was some concern not to spin the wheel while its taken apart to damage the airbag clockspring. I remember just swapping that from old to new.

It was a simple job on a late 90's car, should be similar in your ranger.

Buy a repair manual online and take a look, and watch some youtube videos.

Appreciate the helpful reply.

So it's as easy as it seems? I did check out a few video's, and a Ranger forum has a 'how to' on swapping columns.

My only hesitation comes from the fact that this is my first column; I don't want to make a mistake by making the truck undrivable (by disassembling the steering wheel and ignition), and one poster on another thread said the job took 3-5 hours, which I can't see happening under any circumstance.

Looks like an hour job, no? As to mating the column with the intermediate shaft, it's a matter of loosening one bolt and mating the units together, correct?

Thanks in advance

One other question: do I need to use locktite on the bolt that joins the column to the intermediate shaft?

Thanks in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back