Battery life

Status
Not open for further replies.
The factory AGM in my truck just tested at 85% capacity after being in service 6 years, 4 years in the Great Lakes environment followed by 2 years in non-coastal South Texas. It's luck of the draw sometimes. My in-laws bought a Prius that required a new (starting) battery within 6 months.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: BJD78
I figure that if I can get 4-5 yrs from a battery here in in Nebraska with the extreme cold and heat cycles then I am well ahead of the game. Going a few more years is a bonus. occasionally a battery is a genetic freak and will last 8-10 years but that is pretty rare. My stepson had a battery that went about 10 years in his 94 Camry..it was an exide battery from Orshlens farm store.

As has been mentioned already it's not the cold or even the cycles that gets a battery, it is sustained high temperatures. Places like Arizona or Florida, or south Texas.

I believe a lot of the OEM batteries might actually be better than what's sold in stores or even at the dealer parts counter. They're lower CCA rated but the same size as aftermarket. They should theoretically last longer because the plates aren't thinner compared to most aftermarket batteries meant for better CCA numbers with the same size. However, it's been mentioned they sit on a lot for months. Maybe even in the heat.

Originally Posted By: JMJNet

Also, a lot of parts quality is not that good.
We are essentially, their quality control department.
We cannot assume that new parts are good anymore.

"The customer is the final quality control inspector"

--printed on a sticker on some product I saw years ago.

The Mrs. And I have a Chevy Bolt and a Chevy Volt. Both are AGM batteries, and neither is used to turn an engine over - they just need enough power to boot the computer that engages the high-voltage to 12V inverter. The Volt has an engine but its battery is in the trunk. The Bolt's battery is up front, but it has no engine, so it stays cool.

I suspect this means the batteries should last quite a while. Thoughts?

I think KIRA has it correct: # 4752730. My 2014 Mazda CX5 had a Panasonic battery that lasted 4 full years. I do also believe that an overnight trickle charger would give another year of service for short distance daily drivers. ED

Originally Posted By: edwardh1

who sells reconditioned batteries?

Look for an Interstate Battery distribution center near you.

I like their Econo line of refurbished (and individually tested!) batteries, they are about half the price of 'new' production batteries. Call them first to make sure they have your size.

Warranty is only 6 months but they usually DO last for me. We have two that are more than 5 years old, and one that is two years old, in our four cars.

Once we had one only last 8 months but they gave me another for cheap.

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
my last two new car Toyota batteries lasted 5-6 years , but all replacement box store batteries seem to die at 4 1/2.
who sells reconditioned batteries?
I don't know now but in the 80's and 90's Gould/GNB was the largest car battery manufacturer in the US with mostly branded batteries. We had a plant in Leavenworth KS that would take in all the returned batteries, strip the labels, clean them up, give them a boost and test the resell somewhere as refurbished. Most were from WalMart and just had not been rotated so the oldest sold first. Exide got caught doing this with Sears batteries but reselling as new.

I've yet to have any battery last more than 3 years, most less than that. I only buy 3 year over the counter exchange brands now. I did have one Honda battery go 37 months, just out of warranty of course.

I swear by using a battery desulphator. Sulfation is what kills most batteries. This occurs any time the battery is not fully charged. Automotive batteries should never be discharged beyond 10% - run your car dead and recharge just once, and you have taken away a significant chunk of it's life expectancy. Dealers should know better than to allow this to happen but surely they don't care.

I use an onboard desulphator (about $20) in most of my vehicles, it uses high frequency pulses to dislodge the damaging buildup on the plates, as it happens. This doesn't allow it to build up in the first place and can help save formerly "bad" batteries. Unfortunately it does add slightly to the engine off current draw, so I also always plug in any vehicle sitting for more than two days to a Battery Minder, which also does desulphation.

I don't have any hard numbers to post but I tend to get pretty good service out of my batteries.

Originally Posted By: OilFilters
I swear by using a battery desulphator. Sulfation is what kills most batteries. This occurs any time the battery is not fully charged. Automotive batteries should never be discharged beyond 10% - run your car dead and recharge just once, and you have taken away a significant chunk of it's life expectancy. Dealers should know better than to allow this to happen but surely they don't care.

I use an onboard desulphator (about $20) in most of my vehicles, it uses high frequency pulses to dislodge the damaging buildup on the plates, as it happens. This doesn't allow it to build up in the first place and can help save formerly "bad" batteries. Unfortunately it does add slightly to the engine off current draw, so I also always plug in any vehicle sitting for more than two days to a Battery Minder, which also does desulphation.

I don't have any hard numbers to post but I tend to get pretty good service out of my batteries.

My OptiMATE 7 Select has been worth its weight in gold for this reason alone.

I replaced my original equipment battery on my 2011 Kia Sportage this week. It had 120,000 miles on it and was still working fine. I was a little nervous about it because I will be doing quite a bit of travel this summer. Not worth the anxiety of it quitting at a rest stop.

The replacement was a $71 Duracell battery from Sam's Club. They are on sale this month for $20 off.

The manufactured is East Penn, with a production date of 4/2018. There is a three year free replacement. Not too bad a deal.

I went through several under-sized InterStates until it dawned on me that their website was spec'g a SMALLER battery than the factory spec'd and provided when new. I thought it odd it only filled a bit over half the battery tray....

So the next time, I went with a full size battery. End of the repeat battery problems....until the interstate developed a cell short after a few years. I still had to pay in addition to the warranty amount unfortunately.

High heat/humidity here is tough on battery chemistry. I open the hood at the end of the day just to dump engine heat outdoors before pulling in the garage.

I've got 6 years on the Everstart Maxx battery (from Walmart) that is in my Civic and it's still going strong. I'm not sure how old the battery was in my last Corvette but I had that car 4.5 years and never changed the battery. With our summers not being super hot (75-85 is the typical daytime high) we get long life out of our car batteries up here. I know that in the hot south people often say that 3 years is the max they see.

For those that don't know, this is the desulphator (desulfator?) I was talking about:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/263409984949

I have one like this installed on my Jeep. Chargers with a desulphation mode are nice, but it only works when they are hooked up and it is a long slow process. Something like this is full time, though it does cause some extra current draw when the ignition is off. My Jeep has an Exide battery in it that was there when I bought it 2 years ago. I can't find a date sticker on it, age unknown. It seemed a little weak and this last January struggled to turn over in the cold weather. I attached one of these and it has been working great, although the weather is warmer now. This is in the hot humid south in a Cherokee with a really hot engine bay that really cooks the battery. I thought I would need a new battery by now but it seems to be working better than ever. Battery has to be at least 3 years old, if not more.

I do have it securely zip tied where it cannot contact anything due to the open circuit board design, and it's plugged into a 3 amp fuse for extra safety. Something like this might be better since it's totally encapsulated:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/332384837638

I have no affiliation with these sellers or products, I just use them and swear by them. It's nice that you can actually hear it working.

I think my truck has an advantage, that is, if extreme heat is a problem. I have a fan clutch that usually spins even when cold- below a certain road speed. Also, there is an oil cooler, plastic intake, and aluminum heads.

I am quite surprised when I pop the hood while the engine is hot and feel no.heat blast like in, it seems, every vehicle I have has prior.

Part of the longevity people can get with their battery has to do with how well it is protected from the elements. In the case of my last vehicle (recently sold), I had 3 batteries over almost 19 years - yes 3 including the original - on that 2000 model car. Of course it was a 2000 Mercedes E320 with the battery under the back seat - so no exposure to weather. Never had a starting problem either. I suspect this is an exception situation...but sharing nonetheless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back