Tried NuFinish Today ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty pictures...

Unfortunately....as others have correctly pointed out...water beading up (alone) bears no value in terms of proving any product is still protecting the exterior finish of a vehicle. It might look shiny and/or water beads up...that's all good...but all that does not prove the protection on the surfaces still exists.

Any car with clear coat finish alone has similar properties. Observe numerous cars at almost any used dealer car lot...and you'll find numerous vehicles that haven't been waxed/polished in years. They get washed...maybe detail spray-waxed quickly...and that's it...and very often they're shiny and clean, and in the rain....water will bead up on them. Yet that has practically nothing to do with protection, which is the primary purpose of a wax/sealant. There are scientific tools that can be used to accurately measure surface layers so that protection can be assessed - that evidence has not been seen anywhere.

Some folks have done some fantastic work with NuFinish to get vehicles looking shiny and nice...the photos are fun to see. But despite all the marketing hype, label claims, and urban legends of fame...Nufinish's ability to offer true protection for a year can't be proven with eyeballs alone.

Nu-Finish is all I use. I just clayed and used Nu-Finish on my new 2018 Toyota Camry, and it looks terrific. The clear coat looks like liquid glass. If you are getting a lot of white powder residue, you may be applying too much of it. It takes very little.

Originally Posted By: billt460
Nu-Finish is all I use. I just clayed and used Nu-Finish on my new 2018 Toyota Camry, and it looks terrific. The clear coat looks like liquid glass. If you are getting a lot of white powder residue, you may be applying too much of it. It takes very little.

LOL - kidding right? - there are literally hundreds of online user reports of residue issues from NuFinish on car trim...as well as professional detailers. Read almost any testing review - they nearly all complain about the residue problem with the product.

Good to hear you clayed first. Glad you like it and are satisfied.

Originally Posted By: HYUNDAIFAN0001
LOL - kidding right? - there are literally hundreds of online user reports of residue issues from NuFinish on car trim....

You're not supposed to get it on the trim. It's for the paint.

Originally Posted By: billt460
You're not supposed to get it on the trim. It's for the paint.

Indeed.

But in fact, many other quality products specifically avoid leaving any powdery residue...unlike NuFinish.

In the real world...getting product on trim happens routinely. In the the case of NuFinish, it results in an unpleasant experience.

Pretty pictures...

Unfortunately....as others have correctly pointed out...water beading up (alone) bears no value in terms of proving any product is still protecting the exterior finish of a vehicle. It might look shiny and/or water beads up...that's all good...but all that does not prove the protection on the surfaces still exists.

Any car with clear coat finish alone has similar properties. Observe numerous cars at almost any used dealer car lot...and you'll find numerous vehicles that haven't been waxed/polished in years. They get washed...maybe detail spray-waxed quickly...and that's it...and very often they're shiny and clean, and in the rain....water will bead up on them. Yet that has practically nothing to do with protection, which is the primary purpose of a wax/sealant. There are scientific tools that can be used to accurately measure surface layers so that protection can be assessed - that evidence has not been seen anywhere.

Some folks have done some fantastic work with NuFinish to get vehicles looking shiny and nice...the photos are fun to see. But despite all the marketing hype, label claims, and urban legends of fame...Nufinish's ability to offer true protection for a year can't be proven with eyeballs alone.

The same can be said about any product then. Tight water beading has always been the standard for protection and when it starts to fail. I'v been in the detailing industry for over 25 years. I dont see many scientists establishing tests to determine when a "wax" is protecting or not. All the newer ceramic coatings show water beading and sheeting as the standard test to show protection as well.

Can I "prove" any product is protecting? No. Does it make sense to use a product the beads and sheets for a long period of time vs one the fails much quicker? Yes. NuFinish does this better then most products on the market.

I have to disagree on your statement about clear coats beading water, even neglected clear coats. Clear coats will not bead like those pictures alone for the most part. On new paint it will some what. Those are tight beads and clear alone can't do that. I see cars all the time with good clear coats and flat water with no beading. Zero protection. This is well know and not a secrete, just walk around a parking lot after a rain storm.

Last edited:
NuFinish does leave a dusting over the vehicle once it is buffed off. Compressed air takes care of that in a minute or less. It will stick to("stain") black trim but it is not hard to avoid getting on trim if you have even a little bit of skill and technique. Here is a Volvo with tons of black trim I did with NuFinish and did not get any on the trim. I could do this blind folded by feel and not get any on the trim. Oh...and notice there is no dust.
bikegDa.jpg

9pCURqY.jpg

OUAeLiZ.jpg

Chris, are you using the liquid or paste? I can see the paste being easier to keep away from the trim. Where the liquid can easily splatter the trim. Ten plus years ago a detailer I took a car to used Nufinish and got some of it on the trim. Took forever for it go away. Maybe one of the detailers I used finally removed it. This is before I started detailing my own cars. On Walmart's website Nufinish (both versions) receive 4/5 stars. Tons of reviews on Amazon that are similar with the liquid scoring a bit higher.

One of the largest online auto detail supply sites doesn't even sell products from Nufinish, Turtle Wax, Eagle One etc. But they do sell Megs, Mothers etc. I think because the quality isn't there but who knows.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Chris, are you using the liquid or paste? I can see the paste being easier to keep away from the trim. Where the liquid can easily splatter the trim. Ten plus years ago a detailer I took a car to used Nufinish and got some of it on the trim. Took forever for it go away. Maybe one of the detailers I used finally removed it. This is before I started detailing my own cars. On Walmart's website Nufinish (both versions) receive 4/5 stars. Tons of reviews on Amazon that are similar with the liquid scoring a bit higher.

One of the largest online auto detail supply sites doesn't even sell products from Nufinish, Turtle Wax, Eagle One etc. But they do sell Megs, Mothers etc. I think because the quality isn't there but who knows.

I use the liquid version. I use a applicator pad and hold it tightly with just the tips of my fingers at the very edge of the pad. I can have extreme control this way and move fast with out hitting the trim but getting the sealant to the very edge of the paint. I only use NuFinish for people who want long term durability. I think it shines pretty [censored] good but there are better products for shine. I have not used a ceramic yet but I may try it soon. I have and use just about all other "waxes" on the market.

Yet that has practically nothing to do with protection, which is the primary purpose of a wax/sealant. There are scientific tools that can be used to accurately measure surface layers so that protection can be assessed - that evidence has not been seen anywhere.

You are absolutely right. So the only scientific proof that can be found is from "Consumers Reports" Their testing reports that NuFinish test for Durability(How long a product protects a painted surface)
NuFinish Paste is rated " Excellent"
NuFinish Liquid is rated "very good"

No other waxes or polishes in the whole test were rated Excellent or Very Good
They all had rating of good, fair or poor
There sir, is your "scientific proof" as far as we can find it.
No they didn't use Klasse Glaze that I use on my new car now. Which if you think Nufinish is difficult to use you haven't seen nothing. But has great results and protection.

As for NuFinish, It's just not the durability, but I think for me the oils and polish it gives to the paint to condition and refresh the paint. It has worked wonders on some of my vehicles finish.

Myself I just ordered some RejeX that is supposed to last like Klasse but not be so difficult to work. So I'll try that soon.

Not surprised.

Originally Posted By: Stevie
You are absolutely right. So the only scientific proof that can be found is from "Consumers Reports" Their testing reports that NuFinish test for Durability(How long a product protects a painted surface)

LOL - OK...done chuckling at that...countless years of Consumer Reports full of erroneous, misleading, and downright wrong content makes them one of the worst sources of information on almost anything.

In a famous story written in the Washington Post in 2010...Consumer Reports was exposed rating a very specific model brand name refrigerator "#1" in the United States", and 8 months later, rated the exact same specific model brand name refrigerator #37. Their car reports have more holes than a 20 foot tall slice of Swiss cheese in terms of useful content. One of the most unreliable sources of information in the history of mankind. But hey, they have pretty pictures of some cars on their covers once in a while...but trusting them for anything beyond the latest toaster reviews...no way.

Myself I just ordered some RejeX that is supposed to last like Klasse but not be so difficult to work. So I'll try that soon.

I suspect Consumer Reports has no clue that Klasse even exists, let alone how good it is...but those who actually established in the automotive products industry often say RejeX is a very good product. Enjoy.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Where can I buy FINISH KARE? Ed

It seems online only here:

FinishKARE Car Care Products

Their polymer sealant product seems similar to Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid...but...note the last line from their description:

#2180: Ultra Polymer Sealant
- A polymer sealant for all finishes. It is a blend of anti-corrosive, detergent resistant poly siloxane copolymers and high melt resins which provide a high gloss, durable protective film that protects the finish against heat, water and detergent.
- Removes surface accumulation and oxidation.
- Penetrates and seals giving great depth to true paint colors thus it provides months of maintenance free appearance and protection against environmental elements, oxidation and detergents.
- To protect the finish of your car for a longtime, FK recommends use of # 2180 once a month initially and then once every 2-3 months.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Where can I buy FINISH KARE? Ed

www.autogeek.net also carries their product. Today only free shipping and 20% off. Code is PMD20 for the discount.

With their 20% off at AutoGeeks...their price on several products = FinishKare's regular website price. So looks like either place is an option.

LOL - OK...done chuckling at that...countless years of Consumer Reports full of erroneous, misleading, and downright wrong content makes them one of the worst sources of information on almost anything.

In a famous story written in the Washington Post in 2010...Consumer Reports was exposed rating a very specific model brand name refrigerator "#1" in the United States", and 8 months later, rated the exact same specific model brand name refrigerator #37. Their car reports have more holes than a 20 foot tall slice of Swiss cheese in terms of useful content. One of the most unreliable sources of information in the history of mankind. But hey, they have pretty pictures of some cars on their covers once in a while...but trusting them for anything beyond the latest toaster reviews...no way.

I suspect Consumer Reports has no clue that Klasse even exists, let alone how good it is...but those who actually established in the automotive products industry often say RejeX is a very good product. Enjoy.

CR is a joke. As far as car care products go, they only test products that you can purchase in brick and mortar retailers. If they ever tested products from Zaino, Klasse, Duragloss, or Collonite they'd realize what a joke NF is...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: grampi
CR is a joke. As far as car care products go, they only test products that you can purchase in brick and mortar retailers. If they ever tested products from Zaino, Klasse, Duragloss, or Collonite they'd realize what a joke NF is...

You are most wise grasshopper...
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back