B12 Chemtool - Exhaust smell?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys. I added an entire can of B12 (15oz) to my gas tank and had about a 1/4 tank of gas in there. After starting my car and letting it run for about 10 mins, the exhaust emits a smell similar to as if the car was running rich or like a varnish like smell.

- No black soot out of the exhaust other than the regular exhaust burn
- Car doesn’t misfire or skip (idle’s fine)

Has anyone experienced this smell out of their exhaust after using B12?

2001 Ford Mustang GT 4.6

I BELIEVE B-12 is just a mix of solvents, such as acetone and toluene. I wouldn't be too concerned.

Originally Posted By: Twisted1
No misfires here. Just concerned about the strong smell after using B12

That's normal for this product.

Take the cap off, take a sniff. The metal can should be a clue. And then you used it at 4X the normal dosage. Add more gas. I use B12 to keep the carbs on my OPE going. I use MMO 'cuz it smells good and provides TCL
grin2.gif

Considering what is in B12, and the dose you used, I'd be shocked if there WASN'T some kind of change in smell of your exhaust.

Also, B12 is advertised as actually readily burning, compared to many other fuel system cleaners, so I doubt it's causing any impedance to proper fuel burn.. if anything, it's helping it.

As others have said, you added 4x the normal dose, and it is a pretty strong solvent, so I wouldn't leave it sitting at that strength in your gas tank for long. Either take a long drive to burn through that gasoline/B12 mixture fast, or top your tank off. For what it's worth, I actually did something very similar about a year ago - Added 1/2 a can when my tank was about 1/8 full, and drove about 45 miles until it was nearly empty, then filled the tank. Seemed to help things, and doesn't seem to have caused any problems since... but then again, that high dose was only in there for about an hour.

I use B12 frequently, usually mixed about 1/4 to 1/2 a can with 4oz of MMO, in a full tank of gas.

IIRC The maximum recommended dose of B12 is one 15oz can per 5 gallons gas. So 3oz gal. Btw-smells like..... victory.
wink.gif

Its normal! I always overdose with that stuff, it works and does't hurt a thing! Take that stang our and flog it a few times now and you'll be GTG!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back