Honda 1.5T and Long Drains

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a friend who drives a 2017 Honda CRV with the 1.5T.

The first service was done by me at 9300 miles using M1 EP 0W-20 and a Honda filter. The car is now due for its second service at 19.4K. I may do a UOA for giggles, we will see.

Due to scheduling, she prefers the convenience of the OEM service intervals since she drives about 20k/yr. Her plan is to keep the car for as long as possible. Her last car was a 2011 Accord that was only replaced because it was totaled; I used M1 EP 0w20 at 10-11k intervals on that one without any issues.

Which oil and filter should I be using in this CRV?

M1 will support 0w20 AFE for 10k and 0w20 EP for 15k miles. Use whichever one is cheaper and matches up with her interval.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Why not use what you chose before?

Fuel dilution can be a real problem on these engines.

18.gif
18.gif
18.gif
18.gif

FWIW: If this Honda 1.5L turbo is the one with big fuel dilution issues in the oil (pretty sure it is), you better keep the OCI to 5K miles especially if she wants to keep the car for a long time. I would not consider the "advice" the OLM gives, it is an estimate of oil life based on hours driven and under what conditions. It knows nothing about the 900lb gorilla in the room (oil breaking down way too early due to the fuel dilution issue).

Originally Posted By: WhizkidTN
FWIW: If this Honda 1.5L turbo is the one with big fuel dilution issues in the oil (pretty sure it is), you better keep the OCI to 5K miles especially if she wants to keep the car for a long time.

This. It’s not the oil choice that’s important with this engine, it’s the change intervals.

Use one of the top-tier synthetics (Edge, M1, PP/PUP) during the warranty period, then switch to 5w30 after it ends.

Also, I love WIx, but the 57356 is not one of their better designs. It has a tiny cartridge of media inside, and it will not last 10k. Especially on a TGDI motor. Plus, Wix recently switched to louvers on the 57356. If you or the owner insist on Wix, use the XP.

This is an application where I'd choose Fram over Wix. Besides Fram making the OEM filter (which is very close to the PH orange can with the silicone ADBV), they still use the round holes, and their 7317 filters contain more media than Wix's 7356. The Ultra is good, but even a TG should be good enough.

My filter preferences for your CRV, and most cars using the 57356/7317 can, in order
anything Fram, then M1, then Wix XP, then Hastings/Baldwin

Originally Posted By: The Critic

What's to say it's actually a problem, in light of the fact that ever changing oil specs should be accounting for concerns that would be associated with it. It's not like BITOG is the only group of people who understand that oils are getting fuel diluted with DI.

Id suspect that in general, specs for oil are moving towards mitigating solution issues at the same time that injection and controls are working it from that end.

If you do a UOA,please post... that motor has a very small sump considering its turbk charged.

Maybe use Honda branded oil from the dealer? If she has any problems down the line, that might be a good idea
21.gif

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: The Critic

What's to say it's actually a problem, in light of the fact that ever changing oil specs should be accounting for concerns that would be associated with it. It's not like BITOG is the only group of people who understand that oils are getting fuel diluted with DI.

Id suspect that in general, specs for oil are moving towards mitigating solution issues at the same time that injection and controls are working it from that end.

Oh, it's a problem....

http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/137-...#/topics/176681

I’ve heard some switching to 91 or 93 octane to help with fuel dilution. We just bought a 18 and told my wife to fill it up with 89 for a few tanks then 93. As far as oil I’m going to use Amsoil SS 0W20. Depending if the oil level rises due to fuel dilution I’ll stick to 10K or olm.

I wouldn't be surprised if a nationwide recall will be issued on these engines one day due to fuel getting into the oil.

Honda has already started a recall in China because people were complaining about rising oil level well beyond the MAX line on the dipstick. This is a MAJOR issue if true for these poor engines. Not sure why so much fuel is being injected anyway. Aren't they supppse to be efficient???

I wonder if they accidentally made them TOO EFFICIENT for the 2018 model year and in an effort to bring MPGs down a bit, they choose to inject extra fuel into the combustion chamber.
lol.gif

These 1.5T's are having some MAJOR issues. Monitor oil level to see if it is rising (fuel delusion). I would go no longer than 5K and always use synthetic. Pennzoil Platinum or M1 0w20 would be my pics. Fram Ultra oil filter and use it for 2 oil change intervals.

Please stop this nonsense!!!!!!!! Perfectly fine engine and fuel dilution is managebale!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back