What about that Purflux media pleating design!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nahh, really?
confused.gif

Purflux is part of SOGEFI now. Filters made in France normally use the « zigzag » folded media and are generally pretty cheap and good.
Air filters made in China look average
Cabin filters made in Slovania look average too, better choices for the same price.

Oil filters are also OEM for Ferrari apparently, but these are carefully designed. I’m not sure all their oil filters have a silicon ADBV. Renault and PSA also use Purflux as OEM, makes sense since they are French companies I guess.

At the moment I’m using Purflux filters in all cars in my sig but the 98 Barchetta who has a MANN (not for long since OC will be done soon and it’ll get a Purflux LS715. The Colt will get a Mahle...I buy what’s the cheapest between Purflux, Mann. Mahle and Hengst...favorite being Hengst but I can’t find them anymore apparently)

Popsy, yes it could be a slight problem if the ADBV isn't the good silicone rubber we expect from decent filters like the Fram Ultra. Nitrile not as long lasting and doesn't handle cold weather as well.

Purflux does have an interesting zig-zag pattern. That should give you more filtering area with less of a risk of tearing a hole in them.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4739144/1
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4561158/Purflux_LS245,_9494km_(5900mi)

Originally Posted By: Hammehead
at 9:25 in the video Every filter media should look like this, IMO. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsE7j_qwYZQ Beautifully thought.

Interesting how the Purflux media was the lightest (mass) of the bunch, although obviously more area.

Anybody ever seen 4548-12 results for the Purflux media? Zig-zags are great, yet filtering efficiency is important. Hard to beat a Fram Ultra with silicone ADBV, wire-backing, double-layer synthetic media, very high 4548-12 results.

Last edited:
There is also media thickness, winner I believe is Fram's Ultra. Also depth of media pleats with narrow as possible center tube, winner I believe is Toyota Denso. Also adbv and retainer spring design makes the element longer or shorter inside the can. A lot of factors besides zig zagging the media can increase media.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
There is also media thickness, winner I believe is Fram's Ultra. Also depth of media pleats with narrow as possible center tube, winner I believe is Toyota Denso. Also adbv and retainer spring design makes the element longer or shorter inside the can. A lot of factors besides zig zagging the media can increase media.
All true. However, I'm skeptical of the assumption that "zig-zagging" increases media area. Obviously it makes each pleat longer, but it proportionately decreases the number of pleats that can be fitted in the available overall volume without overcrowding. Do the math! That doesn't mean there aren't other advantages.

Somewhat the same is true of thick media.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Popsy

Oil filters are also OEM for Ferrari apparently, but these are carefully designed. I’m not sure all their oil filters have a silicon ADBV. Renault and PSA also use Purflux as OEM, makes sense since they are French companies I guess.

Exactly! I use them in my Citroen and in my sisters Pug. The media gets both, dirty side and clean side, as any. Thick enough.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back