SN Plus, these Mobil products meet it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ruhroh
Interesting that AFE is not on the list.

M1 0w20 & 0w30 are AFE. Mobil doesn't market AFE as a separate product, just a sub category of M1.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
What does the PLUS stand for? Ed

Click on the link.

Originally Posted By: HKPolice
Originally Posted By: ruhroh
Interesting that AFE is not on the list.

M1 0w20 & 0w30 are AFE. Mobil doesn't market AFE as a separate product, just a sub category of M1.

So, AFE would meet SN+? M1HM has 0w20, not listed as AFE. Yeah, I suppose it would since it listed 0w20, 0w30 under the regular M1 line and those aren't in the regular M1 listings on their website.

Last edited:
Yes, AFE meets SN Plus. Correct, 0w20 HM is not marketed as AFE.

I'm not surprised, I would expect many top shelf name brand products to be well enough formulated to easily exceed current specs and already meet newer specs. Some that don't are probably only a minor tweak away.

Still, it's good to know for sure, so thanks for the list. And interesting to see any exceptions.

As for M1 AFE, isn't that just the regular M1's with a 0W winter rating? If so I think they are included above in the list, just not explicit.

So...I'm not a petroleum engineer, but does this also mean that the choice of oil may have a more direct effect on combustion chamber deposits than the choice of gas? In other words, since the DI engines don't benefit like port injected engines from the same cleaning effects of Top Tier gas, maybe the oil choice is just as meaningful?

Hope that question is clear.

Thanks.

You mean intake valve deposits. Oil can help, but even a catch can on the PCV system won’t stop deposits. Running the engine hard is thought to help, and OEMS have played with valve and injector timing to mitigate the problem somewhat. The newest dual injection systems don’t have the problem.

4. Mobil 1 motor oils are so advanced that they have met the API SN Plus performance standard since 2010.
Many Mobil 1 motor oils already meet the API SN Plus performance standard, making these full synthetic oils more than seven years ahead of their time for providing protection against LSPI

Mobil has been way ahead of the game in this area. Castrol I believe was right there too when they switched to a Mg/Ca based system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back