Motorcraft FS 5W30 7630mi FordFusion 2.0L Ecoboost

Status
Not open for further replies.

This is the most recent oil sample for my Fusion. I am seeing an overall increase in iron wear. I'm using Motorcraft F/S 5W-30 but I'm curious to know if I should switch to Mobil 1 or Pennzoil to slow down iron wear. What are your thoughts?

I don't think that the change to Mobil 1 would slow down the iron wear as most engine using M1 show high iron wear in UOAs. Whether it's actual iron wear or not, it could be misleading in your report

Nothing wrong with experimenting with new oils. M1 has been better in my EB than Schaeffers, but both are around the average.

Originally Posted By: racin4ds
Yea definitely don't switch to M1 if you want less iron or wear!! Go with Pennzoil for sure and watch that Fe drop!

I ran 7,000 miles using Mobil 1 5W-30 with our 2.3 EB Explorer and the iron level was 15. Just saying
grin.gif

Whimsey

Thanks for the replies. I've heard that wear under 3ppm/1k is acceptable. Is this true? What wear numbers should be cause for concern? Is there a range that is acceptable, elevated, cautionary, alarm, etc? Is it different for different engines?

M1 seems to by The numbers increase iron wear. Whether the increased Iron with some M1 oils is wear is debatable.

This is why you don't use UOA's for engine wear. You iron ppm is in line with universal averages. Iron could have been in your PCMO in virgin form.

How about Castrol Edge

Have the OCI's been consistent time/mileage - longer drain intervals maybe more iron.

How's the turbo holding up?

Last edited:
Once again, the commentary of the black stone looks like something nonsense - the impression that their goal is to turn the engine oil into a tart grease like that. From this point of view, the ALS Tribology laboratory looks more sane, of course.
laugh.gif

mx5miata

I wasn't thinking about Castrol but I'm not opposed to trying Edge or Magnatec. The OCIs have been roughly 7500k with little deviation. I thought about that and did wear rate calculations and concluded that the rate is increasing slowly. The engine, turbo, transmission and the rest of the powertrain has been holding up very well. It feels as good or better than when it was new.

dave1251

If UOA isn't a good indicator for engine wear, what is? I realize that my wear metals are within universal averages and that the slight increase, while still low, isn't anything to lose sleep over but I'm curious if using a different oil would lower this number. I have had spikes in iron in the past as seen on the report and I'm not exactly worried. Just curious and I'm trying to learn.

Iron wear was about the same as Universal Averages, so, as mentioned above, no real issue. Other factors besides oil could have increased wear.
KV100 viscosity was too low. Caused by some combo of permanent VII shear loss and your fuel dilution.
Insolubles are a little high at 0.4, so why not try an oil filter like the Fram Ultra which filters better? Better than paper oil filters.
I'd go with the cheapest dexos1 Gen2 oil you can find on the shelf at Walmart, which would likely be SuperTech 5w30 full-syn. It has the highest spec in this oil category (SN GF5 oils), which is dexos1. If you don't mind spending a few extra bucks for your high-mileage Fusion, pick Valvoline MaxLife 5w30 full-syn which is also dexos1 rated and has extra seal conditioners for your used seals to stay flexible and maybe avoid future leaks. Also, Valvoline was seen recently as adding AW/FM titanium to their formula recently, in their regular full-syn and might be in their MaxLife full-syn cousin too. More AW for less iron maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back