An update on my Ethanol experiment

Status
Not open for further replies.
My non ethanol experiment seems to be working. Since I can’t find non ethanol fuel in my area. I decided to make my own via YouTube. A little octane booster and Amsoil quick shot made my mower run better since owing it ten years ago. I did the same for my Sthil weed eater. Had it for four years and used their fuel cans. Ran fine with their blend. For the weed eater I ran Amsoil’s 2 cycle along with Amsoil’s octane booster and seems to run better as well.

Five gallons fuel made about 4 gallons of non ethanol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not out here in Kansas/Missouri. It varies by station. Some Casey's General Stores, QuikTrips, and a few Conoco/Phillips stations carry the non-ethanol. For Conoco/Phillips, it is mostly premium gas that is non-ethanol. Basically it is fairly hit or miss, unless you check puregas.com.

Please tell me you bought premium gas to do this? Removing the ethanol reduces the octane a few points. 93 becomes 90 or 91 I think .

Originally Posted By: Warstud
Home Depot and Walmart sell it.

The cans are expensive. I’d go through four gallons just in my mower. I’m not paying 100.00 for my mower.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Please tell me you bought premium gas to do this? Removing the ethanol reduces the octane a few points. 93 becomes 90 or 91 I think .

You are correct. 93 octane was bought. Roughly 90 octane was made. Octane booster brought it back to roughly 93.

Originally Posted By: JayhawkRoy
Not out here in Kansas/Missouri. It varies by station. Some Casey's General Stores, QuikTrips, and a few Conoco/Phillips stations carry the non-ethanol. For Conoco/Phillips, it is mostly premium gas that is non-ethanol. Basically it is fairly hit or miss, unless you check puregas.com.

There are small towns that sell it. In the metro plex not so much.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
I though all Cenex Gas Stations sold it?

Never seen one of those stations out here.

Originally Posted By: ARB1977

You are correct. 93 octane was bought. Roughly 90 octane was made. Octane booster brought it back to roughly 93.

Just curious, wich octane booster you´re adding to this deoxigenated gasoline?

As has been mentioned it varies by location. If you live in an EPA non-attainment area like here in southeastern Wisconsin then no stations sell E0, not even at the marina.

Originally Posted By: Hammehead
Originally Posted By: ARB1977

Just curious, wich octane booster you´re adding to this deoxigenated gasoline?

Amsoil’s octane booster.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
I wish the oil companies would just eat the corn and leave it out of my gasoline.

I hear ya.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

As has been mentioned it varies by location. If you live in an EPA non-attainment area like here in southeastern Wisconsin then no stations sell E0, not even at the marina.

I’m not driving into small towns for E0. Too far from where I live.

The operative word in the OP's message is "seems" to run better.

Do A-B experiments and some meaningful measurements such as exact amount of fuel used and length of time the engines runs to cut the same area of same length grass. Take temperature readings of the engine while under load. Repeat experiment ten times using ethanol and non-ethanol fuels then give us the results.

Not perfectly scientific however, considerably more accurate than "seems" to.

It's amazing how many people think they see/hear an immediate mechanical improvement just by throwing an expensive additive in with their fuel. The vast preponderance of the time it's nothing more than the placebo effect as I suspect this example likely is.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
I wish the oil companies would just eat the corn and leave it out of my gasoline.

An additive that gives them an excuse to charge you more, for gas with less energy so you need more...AND makes the ignorant tree huggers happy? It's like they found a miracle!

I'll be honest I think you are doing a lot of work for not much return. I understand your reasoning, being a small engine mechanic on the side, but here is my take...

I live in a state that has ethanol in all of the grades of fuel, so E0 is not an option. I have been running a double dose of Marine Stabil in all of my gas cans, some of which sit the entire winter if we don't have much snow. I have not had any carb problems with my equipment. I have told all of my customers to do the same, and those that do it have also had no problems. The ones that don't chose to drain the fuel out of their equipment during storage, which also works very well.

While removing the ethanol helps, it will not completely prevent fuel from going bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back