Subaru 2018 Crosstrek

Status
Not open for further replies.
FWIW, I use the Denso-made FT86/FR-S/BRZ filter that Toyota sells on a friend's 2012 Forester. It works just fine and is a few bucks cheaper than the OEM filter. His car will drink M1 but it doesn't drink as much with PP or the Castrol synthetics.

Originally Posted By: Pajero
Congrads! Please post pics.......

I've recently considered Subaru, but I've heard they burn oil. I have no idea about the new ones. Check the threads on this board.
13-15 2.5L engines may have an oil consumption problem. Subaru extended the warranty to 100,000 miles and has a free oil consumption test. They change the oil, then you come back after some number of miles and if the oil level is low they replace the engine.

Our 2006 3.06 burns almost no oil. Our 2009 WRX with a built motor uses some, but has a 6 quart Killer B sump.

My '16 Forester with a 2.5 doesn't burn oil. I check every week just in case. I've used all the major brands of oil that can be bought in Walmart. Not much difference in performance or mileage. I do think Valvoline runs a bit better though. I use Subaru filters now but have used Hastings from Rockauto. I stopped using the Hastings after learning about the bypass valve "issue". I never heard any strange noises with the Hastings but I don't want any problems if a warranty issue (unlikely) arises.

Good luck with your Suby!

On our second Subi and I have never used OEM filters. Whatever makes you sleep better but there are hundreds of thousands of these cars running all sorts of different filters.

Counting my mom's '18 Forester, that brings my total to 5 Subarus. None have burned oil; '01, '03, '09, and '18 Foresters and an '08 Tribeca. I've also never had a single HG issue on any of my EJ motors.

I just had car51 give me an assist and posted a fresh C&P on the Napa 7055 which is the correct filter for your engine. See it here.

Originally Posted By: dave123
Picked up today 5 miles looks like easy oil change filter # 15208aa160 on engine now looking to stick with OEM or anyone been running aftermarket bypass issues or not. This is first Subaru I own any tips appreciated btw wife loves it I will never get to drive it.

I realize this is a rather old thread, however I am a Crosstrek owner and wanted to chime in because I am planing on changing from 0W20 to 0W40 when the warranty period ends. Initially I was thinking about using 5W20, but a fellow Subaru owner sent me this link, and it states "0W40 Ensure the engine is protected from wear and deposit build-up." It seems the 0W20 is best for fule economy, but I can deal with a fraction of an mpg to get better protection. I'm going off the info on the link. https://www.patriotsubaru.com/synthetic-oil.htm

Crosstrek's are great little SUV's, a belated congrats on your '18.

Last edited:
My brother in law just bought a brand new Subaru Crosstrek and I asked him if I could take it for a spin. I liked it right off the bat. The car is very nice for the mileage it gets and the AWD is nice. I am going to upgrade my 2014 Civic to the Crosstrek one of these days unless I change my mind. I like the Orange ones and the bright Blue cars as well. He said there is some sort of a factory lift kit you can buy and upgrade to bigger tires too. I would probably leave it stock if I had one in order to keep the good ride.

Originally Posted By: joekingcorvette
My brother in law just bought a brand new Subaru Crosstrek and I asked him if I could take it for a spin. I liked it right off the bat. The car is very nice for the mileage it gets and the AWD is nice. I am going to upgrade my 2014 Civic to the Crosstrek one of these days unless I change my mind. I like the Orange ones and the bright Blue cars as well. He said there is some sort of a factory lift kit you can buy and upgrade to bigger tires too. I would probably leave it stock if I had one in order to keep the good ride.

Your signature says it's a 2012 Civic.

I have the 2018 Subaru Forester Touring and I plan on running the factory fill a full 6k than the dealer will do the first oil change.after that I'll change every 6k with Castrol Edge 0W-20 with a Subaru oil filter for warranty purposes.My advice if doing a lot of stop and go driving and after break-in is to take that car on the highway and open her up.Your 2018 Croostrek has direct injection.

Get a case of OE filters off ebay.

Subaru are very dependable cars, I had a 2010 Impreza only mistake made I didn't buy the car off lease.

I had a 42month lease and in that time had 0 problems with the car just a recall for an emission control ECM update.

Originally Posted By: CT8
What is the need for a bypass filter?

I believe the OP was referring to oil filter bypass pressure. Subarus are unique.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back