Any woodworkers out there? Wood dashboard question

Status
Not open for further replies.
After pricing out wood dash kits for my 380SL, I have decided to take the first stained layer of cracked lacquer and veneer from all the wood pieces. This part is done. Now all I have to do is re veneer, stain and lacquer. I have everything purchased for the job such as zebrawood veneer, vacuum bags other accessories and the wood pieces are prepped and ready to go. Someone told me since this is going on a convertible car and the wood could be exposed to a ton of UV, veneer adhesive selection is critical. There are a few horizontal pieces that would be directly exposed to UV with the top down. I posted this question on a woodworking site and most woodworkers do not expose their creations to sunlight. Most boaters use solid wood. Needless to say, my question was not answered to my satisfaction. Someone suggested 3M Super 77 adhesive or contact adhesive.

Any suggestions for veneer adhesive?

Thanks in advance

Your finish needs to be UV blocking. Try a marine store for UV resistance coatings "varnish".

Never thought about this before. But a lot of temperature swings. I would try an epoxy here. I'd also seal all sides of the wood with a finish( with it really dry) to prevent humidity and uneven warping from dampness then later the summer afternoon sun.

Last edited:
I've successfully used 3M super 90 to adhere cherry veneer to a MDF loudspeaker carcass. Straight forward and no mess, nor waiting. Very important to roll/press the veneer down with a roller to remove air. Something similar to a Formica countertop J-roller. Built up several layers of shellac, then leveled and polished to a deep gloss.

Did you search the forums on sites like mbworld.org? It's a common Mercedes problem and it's covered in a few other forums too. Sometimes you can find wood kits online like on eBay. Mine was faded in a few spots and OEM is about 3k, even online it's discounted to around 2k, but I found a used set on eBay that wasn't as bad for around $200. There were a few threads online which mentioned what you were doing, I guess you have to be very careful because it's very thin and it's easy to do too much and go right through it. Someone claimed they found some guy to do it for them for $300, that must be way out far from the cities, don't think I could find anyone around here willing to do it that cheap considering the amount of labor involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back