Blue Screen Computer Crashes

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeeOSix

$100 site donor 2022
Here's a good one for someone way smarter about computers then myself. I'm running Windows 7 (64-bit) and Firefox (both always kept up to date). Also running real time anti-malware and anti-virus programs (Malwarebytes and Bitdefender ... both always kept up to date).

I've experienced Windows Blue Screen computer crashes, but only when I try to log into by on-line banking website. It's crashed 3 different times by simply clicking on a button entitled "ONLINE BANKING" on their secure home page. How it's supposed to work is when the ONLINE BANKING box is clicked, it takes you to another page where you enter your username and password.

But what sometimes happens (doesn't happen every time) is when I click on the ONLINE BANKING icon the screen will go black, then the computer completely crashes and I get the Windows Blue Screen (photo below). I've been corresponding with my bank's technical department over this and they don't think it's anything wrong on their side. If that's true, then why is my computer ONLY crashing when I try to log into their system? And simply by just clicking on the ONLINE BANKING icon box on their website?

My bank did website maintenance over this last weekend, and all this crashing started shortly after that - coincidence?

Anyone got some ideas on what's going on? Here's some crash report info (photo of blue screen and Window's crash report info).

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: d1
BCP1: 000000000000001C
BCP2: 0000000000000002
BCP3: 0000000000000001
BCP4: FFFFF88001E61626
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 768_1

Try a different browser. Maybe something about your browser and your bank don't like each other. Try Foxfire or Chrome.

OP, any chance you can go to your computer manufacturer website and update the network + wifi drivers from there?

What is the URL for the bank's website?

I'd clear your browser's history and try another browser.

When was the last virus and malware scan done?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Don't you think if they ran these computers on full synthetic they'd last longer?

Tom's Hardware had a post where they had one in 2 gallons of veggie oil...

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: Danno
This might help.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2577825/bsod-tcpip-sys-driver-irql-equal.html

Yup, this points to a driver interacting with the network stack that is causing it. First thing to do is update the network drivers for ethernet and WiFi (if applicable) and see if that resolves it.

I'm running my desktop computer via an Ethernet cable (hardwired) to my modem/router. The crashes are on my desktop computer. My cell phone however does communicate via Wi-Fi with the modem/router.

If the network driver was in need of updating would it still cause this issue while being hardwired?

Reading the link, it says the file "TCPIP.sys is a networking component" ... which is what the photo of my blue screen shows.

I'll go to Dell's on-line driver update website and search for new drivers with my computer's tag number and see what I can find.

Thanks to all who gave some clues.

Also, I'm running many tabs in Firefox ... but I've done that for over the last year or more and have never had this blue screen crash issue before, and it seems to only happen on this one website.

And I did update my computer's BIOS to the latest version about a month ago off of Dell's website. I didn't go into the BIOS to look at settings, but would assume the settings stayed the same after the BIOS update. Should I check on some BIOS settings to see if they are correct or not?

Yes, it would definitely cause the issue. In fact, I had one of my end users experience a similar issue on his home computer about 8 months ago and upgrading the network drivers fixed it.

In Device Mangler, what does it show for your Ethernet adapter?

So after digging around YouTube about the BSOD with the DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL message, I found this helpful video and performed the sfc /scannow command in the Command Prompt window which scans the OS system files for errors, and fixes them if anything wrong is found.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aGNCCNGrdk

Here's the result of the sfc /scannow test. Didn't even know this test was within Windows, and seems very handy.

The scan did find and fix some errors, and after looking at the CBS.log file it looks like some of the system file fixes were associated with tcpipreg.sys. I searched for "tcpip" in the log file and only find references to tcpipreg.sys ... but no tcpip.sys references were found as the BSOD photo I posted showed referred to. In any case, stuff associated with tcpip was fixed, which hopefully will cure this problem.

Also, looking at the Windows Logs folder, it looks like old logs (found in the CbsPersist_xxxxxx.cab files) showed a problem with something associated with tcpip since mid March 2018. I do recall my computer acting strange at times back over the last few months.

Anyway, thanks for the help ... it got me going in the right direction and I think I've probably fixed the issue. Guess if the crashes stop this was the issue.

Yes, it would definitely cause the issue. In fact, I had one of my end users experience a similar issue on his home computer about 8 months ago and upgrading the network drivers fixed it.

In Device Mangler, what does it show for your Ethernet adapter?

All kinds of Network Adapters ... don't know why so many, I've never added or messed with any of that on this computer.

OK, so your Ethernet adapter is Realtek. Their website http://www.realtek.com.tw will have newer drivers if your SFC scan didn't fix the issue.

Thanks for the info OVERKILL.

I looked at the Dell Support website for my tag# and they show the latest driver version for my Realtek Network Adapter is:
Version: 7.072.0410.2013 ,A00
Release Date: 1/6/2014

The info on the driver on my computer is:
Date: 4/10/2013

So looks like I could update that driver too. I'm assuming the "A00" signifies a slight update.

Those appear to be the same driver.

The latest version from Realtek will be significantly newer.

Yeah, I was wondering if it was or not based on the file dates. Plus I see no "Axx" info on the file name when I look at it in Device Manager. I'll probably leave the driver as is for now unless I still see crashing issues, but I feel like the SFC scan probably found and fixed the issue.

Hope that's the case
thumbsup2.gif

I would still update the driver, 4+ years of bug and security fixes is worth the simple install

OP, Mine did the same thing a week ago. It would never restart again, so I took it to my local computer fix it guy, he ran some tests and determined the hard drive failed. He is trying to recover data but its not looking good. I bought a new Dell at Costco since the last one (HP) was 9 years old.

Originally Posted By: another Todd
OP, Mine did the same thing a week ago. It would never restart again, so I took it to my local computer fix it guy, he ran some tests and determined the hard drive failed. He is trying to recover data but its not looking good. I bought a new Dell at Costco since the last one (HP) was 9 years old.

Lot of people don't know you can run that from the BIOS too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back