Residential security cameras, what to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend has asked my help, they are looking to install security cameras on their home, as they have had some petty theft lately.

Now, this is an elderly coulple and are not the most computer savy, I think they need a system that would be easy to access (view) when required. Plus I am unsure if wired or wireless cameras would be better.

Any help/advise is wecome. This is all new to me.

Thanks.

If not computer savvy, I'd look at a wireless standalone system. A good camera will cost over $100 each. The cheaper cameras are very grainy.

I think in some ways, a wired system with power over Ethernet is simpler. It depends on how many cameras and what type of cameras they want to install. If just one or two, a standalone wireless one is fine.

I have a wired Hikvision system that I like. Might not be the easiest to setup, but has been reliable. I have an NVR for for storage and remote viewing. Plus there are many more camera style and lens options that may be more suitable for their house.

We have a door bell ring and love it. We get far less people trying to sell something. They see the camera and walk away most of the time.

Get the RING doorbell. Or a SimpliSafe alarm system with a camera.

You want to suggest a simple system where they can call one number for support.

Upgrade their locks, how are people getting in to steal?

Samsung Smart Things sells components for a smart home, including motion detectors, sirens and camera. (I have the Samsung Smart Things hub, and its great for my purposes.)

Dog.

A dog and/or a car in the driveway are two of the best deterrents. Ring also has a floodlight camera that's motion activated. A couple of those suckers around the exterior would be good. Not cheap though.

Thanks guys, this is a semi rural area, the thefts (strangely) have been garden tools and flower pots!

Disturbing, but not the sort of thing that a Door bell cam would help with.

Personally, I have an idea who the perp may be. But then, what do you do about it?

IMO a dog would solve the problem, but they don't want pets.

As for Stand alone cams, are we talking about Hunting cameras?

Looking at the Ring cameras, do they record? Or will they send an alarm in the night if a deer walks by?

With the Ring Flood Light cams they will send an alert to a smart phone where live video will be sent. So even if they're 1000 miles away their phones will be notified. An alarm can be activated by phone also.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
With the Ring Flood Light cams they will send an alert to a smart phone where live video will be sent. So even if they're 1000 miles away their phones will be notified. An alarm can be activated by phone also.

Hmm, that is not so important for an elderly, at home couple that don't have a cell phone.

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
I think in some ways, a wired system with power over Ethernet is simpler. It depends on how many cameras and what type of cameras they want to install. If just one or two, a standalone wireless one is fine.

I have a wired Hikvision system that I like. Might not be the easiest to setup, but has been reliable. I have an NVR for for storage and remote viewing. Plus there are many more camera style and lens options that may be more suitable for their house.

^^^ THIS ^^^

1. The above is the only way to do it right. They can hire someone to do it. (Its my field of work)
The above is also best for people less tech savy, meaning they have someone come and install the system, set it up and once set up is the most reliable by far (and why they are the choice for anything commercial, stores, banks etc, also most easy to use..
Since the OP said easy to use, again, I cant stress enough this is by far the best choice, WIRED IS ALWAYS BETTER, more reliable professional and easy to use and it does not need to rely on a internet connection. Aslo as mentioned by Edward, HKvision is a very good manufacturer.

2. If they want a security system, there are wireless cameras that can be set up with the system. This is very, very, very good but not as good as number 1 for simplicity and reliability.

3. You mentioned security cameras but will chime in on Doorbell cameras. I have also installed hundreds of all three types mentioned here.
Doorbell cameras are terrific but as you know will only cover one area, if that is all someone wants they are terrific, again, if properly set up, still not as good as number 1 for ease of operation and long term reliability.

Bottom line, numbers 2 & 3 are mostly consumer items, they are good but long term reliability and ease of going back in time viewing video is not the best. They also rely heavy on the customers Internet connection, it must be fast and reliable and will not work without one. Also all one has to do is cut the Internet connection and there will be no video at all and no recording at all.

Choice #1 will work without having an internet connection and you can view video on a home monitor. The only time you would need internet is if you want to view the video remotely, like on a cell phone or tablet.

Last edited:
Let me also add if using wireless cameras and they are not tech savvy those cameras will stop working the moment anyone changes a WiFi password or username in their router, also if someone learns their WiFi password, however unlikely they can disable the cameras or simply a router change by the internet company will do the same.

With that said, in a hardwire system the DVR should be hidden in a safe place as a thief can simply steal the DVR and you have nothing.

With properly set up wifi camera systems, thief can not steal the DVR as the video clips are stored in the cloud.

I'm just pointing out the negatives of both systems, for reliability and ease of use the hardwire DVR set up properly by someone who knows what they are doing will in the long run be more easy to use.

Thanks guys.

So just to be clear: with a wired system (say two cameras) the cameras are hard wired to a module inside the house that I presume has a bult in storage for reviewing video over several days?

Could cameras be motion activated?

Would video be viewed by plugging in a tablet to the device?

The problem with those smart cameras is it will lock you into a smart home ecosystem. If you use Ring, you'll be eventually on Amazon Alexa. Nest is their own platform that plays nice with the Google Assistant, while Arlo is platform-agnostic and looks like besides Google and Alexa, Apple HomeKit is coming to Arlo - Apple is transitioning away from hardware-based authentication to certificates.

Besides networking issues and paying for storage, I'd trust Google/Netgear/Amazon with something like this. Amazon's cloud infrastructure is hard to beat(besides Google).

Stay FAR, FAR, FAR AWAY from Lorex, Q-See or any one of those Chinese-sounding hardwired systems. The UI and quality is disappointing. And in the case of Lorex, Q-See and Swann, there is a known security vulnerability on those - the root password is hard-burned into the DVR firmware and it's been leaked already. I'm trying to get my parents to ditch their Lorex system.

Originally Posted By: alarmguy

2. If they want a security system, there are wireless cameras that can be set up with the system. This is very, very, very good but not as good as number 1 for simplicity and reliability.

That's also a good choice - if someone's alarm provider isn't charging them a ransom for monitoring *cough*ADT*cough*, adding on cameras from that alarm system manufacturer and using their cloud system is possible. I know Honeywell does this and it's called Honeywell Total Connect that works with the newest Lynx and Vista panels with the latest Tuxedo Touch keypads are capable of this. I'm sure DSC, GE/Interlogix and DMP provide similar features. I think DMP also integrates with Ring.

I was trying to sell that to a friend who runs a shop, if I make him aware of the Lorex security problem.

Originally Posted By: nthach
if someone's alarm provider isn't charging them a ransom for monitoring *cough*ADT*cough*, ...

Just a warning, they will charge you for a last month, even if you are not with them anymore and they have been warned in time....

Originally Posted By: pandus13
Originally Posted By: nthach
if someone's alarm provider isn't charging them a ransom for monitoring *cough*ADT*cough*, ...

Just a warning, they will charge you for a last month, even if you are not with them anymore and they have been warned in time....

My neighbor dropped ADT like a bad habit, she's also a vicious fighter and will bring it up with her credit card company.

Originally Posted By: expat
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver

Hmm, that is not so important for an elderly, at home couple that don't have a cell phone.

You can find these at a government surplus auction.

I too would recommend 'wired'. It's by no means obsolete. It's safe, secure, reliable, weather/storm proof and noise free. "IFFY/inconsistent" doesn't belong in any security system. Period.

Installed a couple of Arlo Pro 2 Cameras a few months ago, wireless (with a base hub that connects to internet) has free cloud storage and also a USB port if you wish. Wireless, battery powered and battery (rechargeable) lasts several months and can also be plugged into outlet for power. A powered one has a few more features.

POE cameras are great but installation is too much of an effort, running lines from cameras to hub etc. The Arlos have a great picture, infra red as well motion activated. Videos can be seen on your computer, your TV and your smart phone

Anyway, they fit the purpose for me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back