Redline Oil 0w20 Voa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the report!!

Wow. Looks like BIG additives, Mo, B, P, Zn, very nice.
I wonder about how Redline blends their lubes though, or the purity of the bases they receive- the traditional contaminants are rarely ever 0s. There always seems to be trace amounts of Fe, Al, and what's this K, Si and Na? The Si at best could be anti-foaming but that's a lot of polysiloxane for anti-foaming IMO
21.gif

I love Redline and would never hesitate to use it, but that always kind of bothered me. Is this happening during the blending process?

Originally Posted By: PimTac
That was quick. Just two days turnaround.

Lots of silicon in a voa. Hmm
Anti foam.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
This is normal Redline 0w20? Those ZDDP levels are nuts for an API SN oil.

It does not have API SN approval, just "recommended".

I was considering using this in my TGDI Honda, but I've read that calcium is a contributor to LSPI and Redline seems to use a lot of calcium.

Originally Posted By: jwa
I was considering using this in my TGDI Honda, but I've read that calcium is a contributor to LSPI and Redline seems to use a lot of calcium.

Some have claimed that their calcium (and even less so their low sodium levels) have no causal effect on LSPI, but I am also wary of those sky high levels, and will not chance their 5W-20/5W-30 products in my EcoBoost until they cut down that Ca by at the very LEAST HALF!
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: racin4ds
Good looking oil for sure!!!

Oh, and that calcium caused LSPI is a pure myth... doesn't have a darn thing to do with the oil!!

Chevron doesn't seem to think so.

https://www.oronite.com/products/lspi.asp

Originally Posted By: Chevron
Many factors have been demonstrated to impact LSPI, including: engine designs, fuel composition, and lubricant composition. On the lubricant side, the most noticeable impact has been from the detergent chemistry. Oils with higher concentrations of calcium, which is found in many detergent systems, have been shown to increase the frequency of LSPI. The exact chemistry of the detergent is less important to LSPI than the calcium content. Conversely, magnesium-based detergents do not seem to promote LSPI.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

Some have claimed that their calcium (and even less so their low sodium levels) have no causal effect on LSPI, but I am also wary of those sky high levels, and will not chance their 5W-20/5W-30 products in my EcoBoost until they cut down that Ca by at the very LEAST HALF!
wink.gif

On the other hand, high zddp suppresses LSPI, so maybe it all evens out in this oil.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Originally Posted By: dailydriver

wink.gif

On the other hand, high zddp suppresses LSPI, so maybe it all evens out in this oil.

Just what I was thinking as well, since Dave @ Red Line claims that his company's oils' VERY high calcium content does NOT exacerbate LSPI at all.
21.gif

High moly, high ZDDP, and some POE in there, all helps to quench LSPI. The high Ca is a problem, but maybe it works out in the end. Don't know unless the GF-6 and/or dexo1 Gen2 LSPI tests are actually run on this Redline. Not a chance.

Last edited:
Red Line primarily makes race or extreme performance oriented products.
Their 0W-20 is a great product but not really suitable for any late model street driven vehicle where the 0W-20 trade is specified.
It's Phos' level is higher than necessary as it's 2.9cP HTHS viscosity.

Due to this oil's sheer stability it would be suitable where a light 0W/5W-30 (HTHSV 3.0-3.1 cP) is specified and the user wants the additional ZDDP for track day use.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Red Line primarily makes race or extreme performance oriented products.
Their 0W-20 is a great product but not really suitable for any late model street driven vehicle where the 0W-20 trade is specified.
It's Phos' level is higher than necessary as it's 2.9cP HTHS viscosity.

Due to this oil's sheer stability it would be suitable where a light 0W/5W-30 (HTHSV 3.0-3.1 cP) is specified and the user wants the additional ZDDP for track day use.

+1

Code
+----------------+------------+

| Company | Blackstone |

| Miles on oil | VOA |

| Total miles | 0 |

| Date | 5/13/2018 |

| Make up oil | |

| Oil Brand | Red Line |

| Weight | 0w-20 |

| | |

| Filter | na |