Cars/Trucks You Won't Buy b/c of Public Perception

Status
Not open for further replies.
of being not manly enough or too feminine?

Full disclosure...yes, I'd like an early 90's Miata (black of course) as a weekend curve carver. Still most men around here still drive pickups and see a 50 something in a Miata as.....sketchy.

Even though I've owned 2 F-150's and had 12 years in a TRD Tacoma, doesn't seem to matter.

Originally Posted By: Speak2Mountain
of being not manly enough or too feminine?

Full disclosure...yes, I'd like an early 90's Miata (black of course) as a weekend curve carver. Still most men around here still drive pickups and see a 50 something in a Miata as.....sketchy.

And what other people think about your fun vehicle of choice affects your life... how?

^^ Exactly. The less one worries about what others think, the better life goes, IMO. My care meter about what others think of me hovers right around zero.

Originally Posted By: volk06
PT Cruiser.

I would drive a GT Cruiser though, it had the 2.4T, cue ball shift knob.
I have fairly thick skin though, and its always fun to see some of the new guys faces when I roll up for autocross in the rattle wagon. And then its interesting to see their faces when the results are read out at the end of the day.
Anyways, I don't think there are any "embarrassing" cars that I want to buy, but if someone gave me a free car I'd probably drive almost anything that's reasonably fuel efficient.

Lots:

Any Z3 or other BMW small roadster
PT Cruiser
Beetle
Any Mitsubishi Eclipse after the 1st gen.
Chevrolet Cobalt
Most Jetta's
Most drop top's, short of a muscle car

What's not on my list? An NA Miata. I will have one of those some day. But only an NA. The NB and later cars are kind of girly.

Well, given the choice I'd rather have a truck than a minivan.

But I'd own a minivan w/o giving a flip as to what others thought. I haven't cared in the past, and not going to start any time soon.

I'm actually contemplating trading my truck for a minivan, but, as said, I'd prefer to have the truck. But it's all about the right tool for the job, while controlling costs.

A minivan is probably the nearest thing to the most useful vehicle ever built.Need a pickup? Put a trailer behind it.

I won't buy cars that are too ugly to be seen in by anyone. Example #1: Nissan Juke. Example #2: Most other Nissans. Example #3: Any car/truck/motorcycle that looks like its designer was binge-watching "Transformers" cartoons in their youth.

Originally Posted By: Boomer
VW Bug (modern version) with the bud vase on the dash!

Yea I would agree but I have to drive my wifes 08 New Beetle sometimes, uhg always feel neutered after driving it. Whats worse the Beetle 2.0 L engine here in mex makes 115 hp at sea level in the city it make 90 or so. After driving my GTO the Beetle sucks, but it doesn't stand out in certain parts of the city so I guess its safer, (it better be cause I'm not out running anything in that thing) Instead of a speedometer it has a freaking Aztec calendar showing my speed

Last edited:
Anything with a bolted or erectile tablet on top of the dash. “Nice GPS buddy, was there a sale last week at Walmart?”

I have never perceived any car as to feminine, so, I just drive what I like. If people think it is girly, I just tell them it is my wife car, or she made me buy it LOL. I bought a new Pt in 05, and loved it except the highway gas mileage was terrible. With the back seats folded down, I could practically haul a pickup load of stuff in there. A small pickup . I will say though, at our last show and shine, a young lady came with a newly painted 65 Mustang painted bright PINK. It was a beautiful paint job. but I don't think it would be very masculine.

Passed a clean and shiny GM Aztec yesterday on the highway. Say what you want about its' looks, but it is the only vehicle I remember from that 1 hr trip!
laugh.gif

Sometimes feel like an old-fogey in our Park Ave's, but the only types of comments I've had is of the "hey, nice old car" variety. Anyway, guess I don't care, if I was concerned with image I would have bought sportier cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back