AMSOIL wind, anyone seen this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like AMSOIL has a good start into the wind turbine lubricant market. If I read some of the info correctly the turbines have a 75 to 80 gallon gear oil capacity. Click on products to see more info. It is interesting.

AMSOILwind

I started seeing this a little over fifteen years ago or so, mostly in Iowa. At that time, Castrol was having issues with their A320 developing sludge. The A320 held water real bad and if I remember correctly, the pigment would come in and out of solution and would worsen the sludge issues and cause shorter filter life. The Amsoil shed water more readily and didn’t cause sludge like the A320. Since the pressure drop was now lower through the filter, the use of 5 micron filtration son the gearbox lube system was now possible. Donaldson lead that charge. Amsoil was not compatiable with the A320,so if the system was not properly flushed, foaming and sludge could still be a huge issue. Ten years later, I do not have any verifiable facts that the gearboxes get any longer life, but it did cut down on the cost of oil due to fewer oil change outs. Castrol modified the A320and also introduced an upgrade called the X320 which solved many of their issues. Mobile also implemented XMP320, I believe that also had good qualities. None of the later oils were compatible so gearbox flushes became a huge deal when changing oil brands.

The Amsoil also appeared cleaner because optical particle counters hated the A320, but seemed to function with the Amsoil.

Last edited:
That is the primary use of Archoil 9300 exclusively. I get it at much better price but its Msrp of around 80.00 for a 5 qt treatment. I think amsoil could do alright if they cut the middle man out and dealt with the consumer directly. Could save costs all around. They did that with Quantico Tactical in Junction City, Kansas and you can get Glock pistols way cheaper without a rep.

If my understanding is correct, Amsoil reps cannot directly sell to the transmission/gearbox manf.

Climbing certifications and high cost of liability insurance associated with this activity would be way beyond the capabilities of any Amsoil rep, IMHO.

Last edited:
Cool, thanks for posting. Hadn't heard about this!
thumbsup2.gif

Royal purple have a hallway decent reputation in their industrial oils too.

(and use dubious marketing for their street oils)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back