Drain plug leak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

I have a 2015 Hyundai Sonata with 40,000 miles. After noticing a slow oil leak from the plug, I replaced the washer and changed the oil. Checked a day later and it was still leaking. Bought some OEM washers and installed thinking the one I bought from Advance wasn't correct, but sill leaking. Threads in pan and on the bolt looked fine. Took it to a dealer since it's still under warranty and they tell me the plug was "loose" and the washer was on backwards... (yeah right) Low and behold, it is still leaking. I purchased a new plug and installed, still leaking. I had some red RTV so I put a little dab around the washer and now the leak has stopped. Is this highly frowned upon? I'm not comfortable installing an oversized plug at the moment. I'd rather add RTV at every oil change since it seems to work fine. Thanks in advance for your help!

I would think the last person who changed the oil did it.

are you sure its from the oil drain plug?

I thought the 2010 accent was leaking at the oil filter.. turns out the oil pump casting had a porosity issue and they had to replace the oil pump.

The monkeys at a local quick lube place stripped the threads on my neighbor's 2010 Honda 4 cyl.
I used oil resistant black silicone sealer (which worked) but immediately got my neighbor to buy a Fumoto valve which I installed using the same sealer.
I'm awaiting the next oil change. It'll be my first with the Fumoto.

You can try the metal/neoprene washers.

I'll bet there are some stripped threads in your pan as there were in my neighbor's.

I always put a little Ulta Grey RTV on my oil drain plug gaskets. Don't see any reason to "frown" on this practice.

What can it hurt?

Is the gasket surface damaged? if the bolt goes in perpendicular, that would be the only cause unless the bung weld is bad.

Was the pan ever damaged from bottoming our or hitting a parking chock?

Our 2013 Sonata had one oil change at the dealership. Under engine tray was a mess with oil and grit. Obviously the dealer monkey left oil splash everywhere. Spent 2 hours cleaning the plastic pan. Then added a Fumoto valve. I do the oil changes and no mess.

I changed a lot of oil never had to use sealant, I say cross threaded and stripped if you replaced the crush ring and still had a leak. Metallic crush rings can distort if you're really cranking down.

Have you always changed your own oil? Maybe the original drain plug was swapped out at some point?

If the threads look good on the pan, try a new plug.

If it's an aluminum crush washer it really should only be used/crushed once. They do have a torque spec and I torque mine (27 lbs on my 4Runner). If the threads aren't stripped and you can tighten it down it can only be the washer unless there is some weird damage to the pan where if seats or the seating portion of the drain plug. Look carefully at the threads and the seating surfaces next time you dump. Clean the surfaces with the steel wool.

Wow, that's kinda odd. I have never seen a leak with a good washer installed.
I guess one of those Fumoto valves is the answer.
Does the drain plug thread in easily? You should be able to install it with your fingers only and finish up with a wrench.

On a pan with damaged threads I once replaced the pan. Probably more than you wanna do...

I guess one of those Fumoto valves is the answer.
Does the drain plug thread in easily? You should be able to install it with your fingers only and finish up with a wrench.

On a pan with damaged threads I once replaced the pan. Probably more than you wanna do...

Originally Posted By: JeffKeryk

Ditto. I've seen many dealers put in a new washer at every oil change to avoid that as the source of any problem.

But I empathize with the original poster, in that nothing is more irritating than coming out to a car/truck/SUV and finding an oil leak below it. Incredibly rare...but wonder if the drain plug itself has some kind of flaw causing the leak.

Originally Posted By: ahilton00
Thinking about ordering a EZ drain valve or Fumoto. Many people keep recommending these for this type of problem.

I've had a Fumoto on my Tacoma since 2003 or 2004. Never a leak. Works like a champ.

I'm working on a Nissan Maxima project car that's leaking like crazy. Some kind of weird bronze oil bolt crush washer is required which I ordered off eBay

I replaced the plug with a new one and it's still leaking. The first couple threads on the old one looked flat, so maybe the first threads in the pan are damaged. I believe a rubber washer like the EZ drain plug has would do the trick. Since I just changed the oil and it's not leaking now due to the rtv I applied, I will just order one and install next time.

Use a new drain plug gasket every oil change and torque to OEM specs. Never a problem for decades. Some smuck has damaged the oil pan threads and left the problem for you to solve. The kind that are only concerned with going home time and checking cell phone for promotion to vice president.

Two of my friends had to replace the oil pan after the lube monkeys stripped the threads. One was with a speedy-lube place and the other an independent shop. One of many reasons why I do my own servicing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back