Tires That Last Forever...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Rmay635703
Where is Capri racer when you need him?
(He designs tires) ........

??

If you were referring to the posts above where the question concerned the need to physically remove rubber to generate traction - I can explain that. If so, just say so. I decided not to continue to post because this was getting to sound like a political discussion where the participants had harden thoughts and weren't interested in understanding in how others thought these things worked.

Oh, and I retired from designing tires.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
If you were referring to the posts above where the question concerned the need to physically remove rubber to generate traction - I can explain that.

Do explain, from first principles please, why it's necessary for tires to break tiny pieces off during rolling friction, impact with the road, etc.
The tire rubber, under shear stress, deforms but I don't see how significant tiny pieces MUST break off during friction.

camrydriver111 had a decent description (above) yet it's also a matter of how much material breaks off as you drive. Thats really the issue. Not any absolute reduction to zero wear, just allowing for the very real condition of bending without breaking off to a degree.

I see that Rmay hasn't responded to my post. Until he does, I'm not going to post on the subject. But allow me to set the stage.

Oil_Film_Movies:

1) What is the principle of First Principles (See what I did there?) I am unfamiliar with the concept. Could you give a few examples and explain why it is better than others?

2) is "the tire tread is moving in the contact patch" considered a First Principle? If not, why not?

Last edited:
The only tires that seem to "last forever" are those you hate to drive on....
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
I see that Rmay hasn't responded to my post. Until he does, I'm not going to post on the subject. But allow me to set the stage.
Oil_Film_Movies:...1) What is the principle of First Principles (See what I did there?) I am unfamiliar with the concept. Could you give a few examples and explain why it is better than others?..2) is "the tire tread is moving in the contact patch" considered a First Principle? If not, why not?

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
We engineers are only skeptical when some idea or assertion violates "first principles", we call it. That means logic and reason within known limitations of science are applied to any claim. This claim in particular doesn't seem to violate any known physical limitation of polymer science.

An explanation of first-principle science-engineering reasoning: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHyu8Jt226M

So, a First Principle is what we engineers go to when we are trying to outline the limitations.... Just fundamental physics most of the time. NEVER something somebody just said about the way things have been. For example, a trucker says he goes up an 8% mountain grade at 75 mph steady. First Principles simply goes to Newtonian physics to show that the load weight, engine he had, and aero drag he had won't let him do more than 60 mph, so its refuted.

OK, you ask "is "the tire tread is moving in the contact patch" considered a First Principle? If not, why not?" --- No. That's a kinematic constraint we can agree on we can't get around, for sure. 1st Principles is something from physics really.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

What we're actually talking about here in this thread is whether or not tire rubber must lose mass from hits, and if we can lower the wear rate through chemistry.

I remember back 12 years ago, Continental Tire put OEM tires on some new Fords, and those tires wore out in 15 or 20 thousand miles! ( When they were expected to go over 30 thousand miles average.) I had some on a new Ford at the time, and the Class Action lawsuit figured out that the Continental factory had messed up the recipe for the rubber somehow, creating tires that wore out really fast. .... So, chemistry alterations can change the wear rate. Evidence there. Take that one incident as a hint, thats all. Chemistry and materials behavior are alterable.

It does appear likely that improving the tire rubber's ability to take a hit and bounce back instead of breaking off chunks would lower the wear rate.
Again, because I know some extremist will say "you can never get zero wear rates", OK, not saying that at all. Just reduction in wear.

A simple experiment would be to test the tensile strain energy of a sliver of tire rubber, comparing one with 303 plasticizer and one without it (maybe aged like real tires too). If we found that the 303-treated rubber stretched more without breaking than the other one, we could begin to believe claims that wear reduction happens in tires with 303 when road asperities strike the surface and try to tear off chunks.

Last edited:
OK, so let me try this:

Let's pick a steel belted radial tire, because it will be easier to do, but the principle will apply to all tires.
It has 2 belts - each belt being made of a series of parallel steel wires set at an angle, but each belt is angled in the opposite direction compared to the other. If you were to X-ray through those steel belts, you would see a diamond shaped pattern.

Now consider the tire in operation. From a side view, the circumference is more or less a circle - as is the steel belt - except at the bottom. The part that contacts the road surface is flat.

A way to look at this would be that instead of a circle at the bottom, the circle has been bisected by a cord (a straight line between 2 points of the circle). The distance of that cord is shorter than the length of the curve.

In order for that to happen, the steel wires have to change angle - and you can calculate that change in angle. It is called pantographing. What also happens is the belt gets wider. That is movement. And because there is movement, there is wear. And it happens every time the tire rolls.

I think that satisfies your First Principle approach. Do you agree?

Thanks for posting, for the life of me I could not recall the name of the website, now I saved the site as a bookmark. My step son put nitrogen in his tires a few months back, and I wanted to show him what was on your website about putting nitrogen in normal average street car tires. But I could not recall the site. Anyway I sent him the linc to the article. He basically blew $7 per tire filling them with nitrogen... but now he knows better. Thanks for posting the website, much good knowledge compiled there about everything tire, that is for sure.

CapriRacer, nope, not 1st Principles there.
Your statements are observations, and mostly simple geometry ones.
The subject of this thread is if a 303 plasticizer (or some other plasticizers) can make tire rubber more resilent to hits.
That's polymer chemistry.

Its nice you mention that tread squirms, a good observation anyway. It just doesn't get to the point.
Point:---> When tire rubber encounters a sharp object, can it be formulated to stretch without breaking off chunks (wear)?

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
... Point:---> When tire rubber encounters a sharp object, can it be formulated to stretch without breaking off chunks (wear)?
Or, even without the sharp object, can it be formulated not to scrub off chunks where it contacts and leaves the (hypothetically smooth) supporting surface?

There is no question that some tires offer much better tread life than other tires of similar grip.
There is also no question that tires optimized for grip under specific conditions offer much shorter treadlife than the mean, like dedicated winters or dedicated performance summers.
The compounds used in the sidewalls and tread do play a role in this, but so does tire construction.
While I cannot explain this in terms of physical limitations, the practical evidence is all around us.
Part of the answer might be found in the manner in which cornering force is generated. It should be remembered that the steering tires don't follow the same arc as steering angle would indicate at anything other than parking speeds. The difference is known as slip angle and is what yields cornering power with any four wheel road vehicle.

Why doesn't somebody who already has some 303 do the belt test like in the video? But instead of using two different belts do it on the same belt. Take an old drive belt (fan, ac or serpentine) and spray one part of it. Then let it soak overnight. Then do the file test on both treated and untreated parts to see if there is any difference. This way this thing can officially be put to bed. Maybe make a youtube response?

Found an old "knobbly" motorbike tyre at the dump yesterday.

Have 303ed a section of it, and after 6 hours had a couple of strokes with a round file.

File bit the untreated rubber well, and created a pile of shavings and a divot.
File didn't bite the treated any where near as well (it's slippery). Left a similar divot, and the pile of shavings was harder to see, but still there.

Not sure that reducing "bite" and friction is desirable in a tyre. Will report back tomorrow, after 24 hours.

With pics in the sun...

Put it on a bike and then test it, I can't do it for you because I don't know what 303 is, we don't get it here.

Silk,
303 is the "armorall" that doesn't contain silicons, doesn't let your dashboard crack (and if it does, it lets them weld repair it (remember the '80s and dashboard welding franchises ???)).

303 is the "aerospace protectant"

i like Michelin tires since they plan to make tyres using 80% sustainable materials

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Silk,
303 is the "armorall" that doesn't contain silicons, doesn't let your dashboard crack (and if it does, it lets them weld repair it (remember the '80s and dashboard welding franchises ???)).

303 is the "aerospace protectant"

I'll have to look out for it - I never go to that part of Supercheap, I'm not a car care person, a wash once a month is extreme care for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back