Please tell us your DA polisher tips

Status
Not open for further replies.
Few come with the correct size backing plate or pads. Plan on buying a 5" plate and 5.25" pads. Many pads of varying textures will be needed for various jobs.

The first thing one learns is not to lift the machine off of the surface while it is still spinning....quite the mess and we've all done it once as newbs.

Originally Posted By: RTexasF
Few come with the correct size backing plate or pads. Plan on buying a 5" plate and 5.25" pads. Many pads of varying textures will be needed for various jobs.

You have a favorite brand of backing plate and pads?

I bought my backing plates from Griot's - reasonably priced and that's the machine I usually reach for. Lake Country are the best pads I have used. Microfiber pads are really nice for quick jobs - they have a much better cut and run cooler.

If you see the pad stop spinning while using the machine, either up the speed or lower your pressure.

Don't use too much product, all you'll do is make a mess.

Keep a spray bottle for misting panels - if you work a product too long, mist it well, take one more pass, then remove it.

I have a Griot's Garage with a 6" backing plate. I've been into this hobby for almost two years. I learned most things on YouTube as you would imagine.

My 2 cents is that you let the pads and the oscillation & rotation do the work. You, as the operator, only hold the machine and and apply enough pressure so that the pad is always in even contact with the paint.

The ambient humidity and temperature play a role because that dictate how fast the compound/polish will "dry out" according to my experience. This also affect the effectiveness of the product. As rooflessVW pointed out, having a spray bottle will help.

If you are not running a business, you can probably afford to spend couple hours a day just to do the hood. But still you want to spend as little as time possible and get the maximum outcome.

Practice with a trunk or hood as horizontal surfaces are easier to work with, you have gravity to help you out and there are less curves.

If you are serious about it, consider getting a creeper seat which is godsent.

Wearing ear protection when operating the polisher is a good idea too.

Well ... I have a 25% off coupon for the HF $69 Chicago Works DA Polisher which I am tempted to buy - however word here is to use better backing plates and pads from else where ...

3M has some nice products and M105/M205 are dependable. M83 works well for medium/quick work.

But I was most surprised at Meguiar's Ultimate Compound/Polish. They're more user-friendly versions of M105/M205 and have longer work times and less dusting. With that, they are not as aggressive, but they did fine taking 15 years of neglect from my Carrera's finish.

You can clean pads during use when you start to notice buildup around the edges. A stiff brush works well. I have so many pads now though that I just switch then out when they start to get gunked up, and clean them when I'm finished with dish soap and the hottest water my hands can stand.

I've been dying to try M100. I hear it puts their other compounds to shame. Maybe on the next car...

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
3M has some nice products and M105/M205 are dependable. M83 works well for medium/quick work.

But I was most surprised at Meguiar's Ultimate Compound/Polish. They're more user-friendly versions of M105/M205 and have longer work times and less dusting. With that, they are not as aggressive, but they did fine taking 15 years of neglect from my Carrera's finish.

You can clean pads during use when you start to notice buildup around the edges. A stiff brush works well. I have so many pads now though that I just switch then out when they start to get gunked up, and clean them when I'm finished with dish soap and the hottest water my hands can stand.

I've been dying to try M100. I hear it puts their other compounds to shame. Maybe on the next car...

Thank you

Originally Posted By: ZZman

You have a favorite brand of backing plate and pads?

I have three DA polishers but generally prefer the Griot's with the optional longer cord using their backing plate. Preference in pads is Lake Country and I like the standard flat foam pads.

Whichever pads you get buy more than you think you will need. I've used up to a dozen on a single vehicle.

ZZman said:
RTexasF said:
I have three DA polishers but generally prefer the Griot's with the optional longer cord using their backing plate. Preference in pads is Lake Country and I like the standard flat foam pads.

Whichever pads you get buy more than you think you will need. I've used up to a dozen on a single vehicle.

Good advice on the pads!

The Porter Cable DA polisher is the best I've seen and tried (I have a detailing company friend who let me use 5 different units over the past 90 days)...just to compare.

Also...after extensive reading...some of the other polishers appear to have more frequent maintenance issues, especially the Griot's and Harbor Freight units, which seem to have more online information addressing their problems than how well they actually operate for any length of time. When you have online videos about "work-arounds"...the red flag goes up.

I'm getting the Porter Cable DA polisher this weekend.

After extensive reading...

You should know that the Griot's is smoother and more powerful, with an ironclad warranty from a reputable company with an excellent track record in customer service.

The Porter Cable is nice, but I don't think it's the best.

DA polisher tips:
1. Buy good pads, Lake Country or equivalent
2. See our top picks sticky for some ideas on polish
3. Watch Mike Phillips' YouTube videos on technique

The best tips (which others have posted) is to use a quality back plate and quality pads that align to the polishing product being used.

Originally Posted By: HYUNDAIFAN0001
ZZman said:
RTexasF said:

Good advice on the pads!

The Porter Cable DA polisher is the best I've seen and tried (I have a detailing company friend who let me use 5 different units over the past 90 days)...just to compare.

Also...after extensive reading...some of the other polishers appear to have more frequent maintenance issues, especially the Griot's and Harbor Freight units, which seem to have more online information addressing their problems than how well they actually operate for any length of time. When you have online videos about "work-arounds"...the red flag goes up.

The PC is not even CLOSE to the power of the Griot's machine not to mention the Griot's LIFETIME warranty.

The PC is not even CLOSE to the power of the Griot's machine not to mention the Griot's LIFETIME warranty.

:thumbup:

The best tips (which others have posted) is to use a quality back plate and quality pads that align to the polishing product being used.

You don't even have a polisher yet.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
You don't even have a polisher yet.

I don't own one...until tomorrow...but have used many of them, various brands.

Is there a point in your snarky comment? I didn't think so.

Interesting...according to the specs...both cap out at 6800 rpm...and both have adjustable speeds. The Griot's is heavier, bulkier and a higher-amp motor (which has little to do with the user results). The actual power displayed in use by the two units is nearly the same - have used them both. 50% higher price for little difference. Hmmm...

As for the warranty...do a search under Griot polisher warranty and read the numerous problems people actually have with them honoring repairs under the warranty.

Not so with the PC unit (3 years....1 year free maintenance service included).

Good choice. I've only ordered one GG product and wasn't happy with it. Contacted them and their response was "that's not our fault". With so many other good detailing companies out there I will cross them off the list.

Do you care to share where you saw people having issues with Griot's honoring their warranty? I can find no such examples, only glowing reviews of their warranty and customer service - which mirrors my own experience.

Their old formulation of Best Of Show wax was very difficult to use - even a very thin coat was impossible to remove. When I enquired, they told me it had been reformulated and I must have gotten some old stock from my retailer - and they sent me a new bottle free of charge. Autogeek regards them highly as well - there are numerous examples on their forum of people having awesome interactions with Griot's.

I'm glad you're happy with your purchase, and I am happy with mine. As to the price difference, I feel that the GG6 is a better built machine and it is more powerful. You can apply more pressure with the GG6 than you can with the PC. It is also available with a longer cable which was a big deal to me. The GG6 also comes with a quality backing plate - the PC does not.

As to my comment, yes, I feel that the value of advice regarding polishers coming from a person who doesn't own a polisher to be null.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back