Large vs Small Oil Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
My escalade takes PF46 (short) and my GMC takes PF61 (long). Both mount under the engine. I have used both sizes on both vehicles with no issues or differences that I can see. You are good to go

I regularly run the Motorcraft FL400s in place of the shorter (but spec'd) FL910s, as well as the equivalent FRAM (and other branded) filters. Never had a problem. Then again, I pre-fill all my oil filters before I put them on the car, so no worries about 'fill up time'.

Originally Posted By: 2009Edge
Will it hurt an engine if I use a larger filter?

If all other specs of the filter are the same, it won't hurt a thing. Since you said the threads are up, you might want to prefill the filter with oil before you install it.
With that being said, remember one thing. In the very small chance that you get a defective filter and ruins your engine because of it, the filter manufacturer can deny any compensation to you because you didn't use the filter that their catalog specifies. It shouldn't be anything to worry about, especially if you are past the engine warranty period, but it's just something to think about.
BTW, I currently have a 1-quart oil filter on my Jeeps that specifies a half-quart filter, so I don't worry about it either.

Quote:
Ours is a 2006 Lacrosse . Best I remember ( had to do some searching to find it ) , it is near the passenger control arm . Underneath the upper , I think .

I do regular oil changes on a 2007 La Crosse 3.8. I've had the larger filter
on that most of the time. Went back to the stock size, I'm coming down
with Old Timers.

My 2¢

As older and going thru thing . I learn and dead set on . What ever filter pull up under my vehicle . Is what I run . Stick of name brand quality filter is most important . Make life so much simple that way. Same with oil weight . They spend a lot time and moneys and what best for your vehicle . I stick with that .

Back when I was younger . I use to ask what biggest oil filter that can fit my vehicle . Thinking add extra oil and thinking it help my engine cooler thinking it help extent my oil change thinking I can buy bigger filter with same price . over time I feel it’s made no different . I think it created more stress in my life lol. Because I have to do it with every vehicles I had. So I say to myself Stick with factory recommend spec for what ever your vehicles is and be done with it . Keep life simple.

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
Originally Posted By: Lubener

It will take slightly longer for that long filter to totally fill up at start up.

Not an issue for those that pre fill the filter. There is enough oil film in the engine to do its job while this is happening anyway.

I also was meaning every cold start for that filter as it is installed.. If it sits for a couple days, I would want that oil light going off as soon as possible, not relying on a film which likely has mostly dripped down from the engine top or that bearing surface.

Originally Posted By: dwendt44
Quote:
Ours is a 2006 Lacrosse . Best I remember ( had to do some searching to find it ) , it is near the passenger control arm . Underneath the upper , I think .

I do regular oil changes on a 2007 La Crosse 3.8. I've had the larger filter
on that most of the time. Went back to the stock size, I'm coming down
with Old Timers.

My 2¢

Does the location I described sound correct ?

When I changed the filter , it looked like there would not be enough room for a longer filter to come down , when it was unscrewed ?

But , again , I do not know how much longer the long filter is ?

Does anyone have the # of the longer filter ? I had it once & have not been able to remember where or what the # is .

I installed a Fram EG PF3387A .

Thanks , :)

Quote:
I installed a Fram EG PF3387A. Does anyone have the # of the longer filter ?

PH3980 IIRC.

Used on a lot of GM engines from 1.8L four cylinder to 5.7L V-8.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Dyusik

It will take slightly longer for that long filter to totally fill up at start up.

Not an issue for those that pre fill the filter. There is enough oil film in the engine to do its job while this is happening anyway.

I also was meaning every cold start for that filter as it is installed.. If it sits for a couple days, I would want that oil light going off as soon as possible, not relying on a film which likely has mostly dripped down from the engine top or that bearing surface.

Film doesn't disappear, my R1 sat over 6 months and the top end was smothered by a good amount, enough to need a rag to wipe my hands.
If adbv works, there is no drain back. I have never seen the idiot light go on in any of my vehicles after sitting for many months. Fear mongering.

YES!!! ITS NOT THE RIGHT FILTER AND THATS WRONG AND BAD! Your engine will starve for oil and start up wear will increase 12-17x! AHHHHHHHHHHHH
happy2.gif
27.gif
crazy2.gif
shocked2.gif

Seriously, if it doesn't stick out below the oil pan or has the base on bottom or side mounted (possible drainage), then no one will ever notice anything if they didn't look at it or measure the fill volume.

The Amazon price for FL400S oil filter recently jumped from $2.97 to $4.99. Just tossing out some info for those who use this filter.

The FL910S is still $3.97.

Originally Posted By: DGXR
The Amazon price for FL400S oil filter recently jumped from $2.97 to $4.99. Just tossing out some info for those who use this filter.

The FL910S is still $3.97.

That's a fairly big price jump. Walmart also upped the FL400S filters, but just a dollar (3.97). I am glad I stocked up a while back for my John Deere mower with the FL400S filters. They just "barely" fit. I have to remove a plastic cover, and then re-attach it once the filter is spun on. But, it's a much better deal than using the $10+ JD OEM filters that are half the size. I was planning on moving to the FL910S filters, which would fit better for my application anyway, but I didn't want to spend a dollar more. Now, I guess I have a reason to.

That said, I have about 8 years for prices to change before I actually need a filter. I have plenty in my supply
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Only if it's vertically mounted and at the bottom of the engine. Because in that case, there is the risk of bottoming out and destroying the oil filter, and possibly the engine too.

Or if its vertically mounted upside down at the top! Usually will take longer to fill back up at startup....less oil at that time isnt so great.

Originally Posted By: Cgates

Or if its vertically mounted upside down at the top! Usually will take longer to fill back up at startup....less oil at that time isnt so great.

You might think that - but you are wrong.

When you see how "see through" filters work where the inlet/outlet are on the bottom,
flow starts through the pleats immediately - -
and the filter never fills all the way to the top, anyway.

my 11 nissan frontier 4.0 has a tiny oil filter, theres lots of room for bigger, matching specs are easy except its using a 20mm X 1.5 thread mount + the base where it seals is not so common, so thing a remote setup that uses the big + common ford PH8a Fram, of course i would use the Wix alternative

Why not just used the oil filter listed for the vehicle. Your choice of brands. I can't say what brand I like for another five months and eight days.It's the Toyota OEM oil filter.

Originally Posted By: benjy
my 11 nissan frontier 4.0 has a tiny oil filter, theres lots of room for bigger, matching specs are easy except its using a 20mm X 1.5 thread mount + the base where it seals is not so common, so thing a remote setup that uses the big + common ford PH8a Fram, of course i would use the Wix alternative

Well if you have the room, try a Baldwin B202 or B7042
Here are my pic's of my B7042(same size as the B202)with a Honda S2000 filter and a Wix
http://s949.photobucket.com/user/rrounds/library/Oil Filters?sort=2&page=1

ROD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back